"Please Stop 'Burning In' Your Earphones"
Jan 8, 2014 at 4:36 PM Post #92 of 164
  Rommy - you seem to be ignoring my posts.

I feel you bro.
happy_face1.gif

Has he called you closed-minded yet?

edit: A random guy's anecdote (K550 changing its sound signature significantly 3 times during burn-in) vs. an AKG employee saying that they have no knowledge of driver burn-in ...
I happily dismiss the random guy's anecdote.

Jan 8, 2014 at 4:36 PM Post #93 of 164
So with some dynamic drivers there MAY be SOME mechanical differences, and possible actual perceptual changes. I was never one to believe in such a thing but this reinforces my thinking. I always found it annoying when a package arrives and I can't even use the goods inside for a day or so based on some crazy ritual the vets seem to be convinces (and that alone. Even with Shure's findings it's hard to justify such a practice)

My next pair of dynamic drivers will enjoy the light of day around my head as soon as the bx is gleefully cannibalized. and the BAs I have on order won't know what hit them when they leave the hands of the postman
tongue.gif

Jan 8, 2014 at 4:54 PM Post #94 of 164
  I feel you bro.
happy_face1.gif

Has he called you closed-minded yet?

Nope - I'm still trying to work out if he actually does believe in major changes in headphones after burn-in (despite the overwhelming evidence against it), or if he's just trolling for the fun of it.

Based on his responses and selective replies - I suspect the latter.

Actually thought he'd scoot as soon as he saw that the thread wasn't going to escalate.  As a topic - it's been done to death ........

Jan 8, 2014 at 5:11 PM Post #95 of 164
I ask the question again, how many sets of headphones have you owned? no one seems to answer that question. There is no overwhelming evidence against break in...why don't you guys read some of the owner threads...and AKG is Chinese junk anyway

Jan 8, 2014 at 5:17 PM Post #96 of 164
And senns don't have enough highs for me..just my taste. No reason to put down the headphone because they recommend burn in..but I myself think they are a little over the top. .my T1...perfect!

Jan 8, 2014 at 5:19 PM Post #97 of 164
OK - I know you're trolling now - either that or you have a little difficulty reading

My current headphones are in my signature.  Everything I've owned and currently own is in my profile.  All of the AKG's I've had were made in Austria.

Rommy - you can leave this thread now - there is no point.  It'll get closed anyway if you carry on the way you are.

EDIT - I notice you list none of your gear .....

Jan 8, 2014 at 5:33 PM Post #98 of 164
Obvious troll is... obvious?
biggrin.gif

Jan 8, 2014 at 5:40 PM Post #99 of 164
all I said was that in some of my headphones I noticed a difference after break in and some I did not. Everyone jumped on me for saying that..some headphones I own did not change at all. But two of them did, I'm sorry I'm arguing with so many experts here that are so sure that burn in is a farce. Have you listened to every headphone? Until you have, you can't make broad statements.I think that is fair enough and to dispute that is just plain ignorant

Jan 8, 2014 at 6:19 PM Post #100 of 164
all I said was that in some of my headphones I noticed a difference after break in and some I did not. Everyone jumped on me for saying that..some headphones I own did not change at all. But two of them did, I'm sorry I'm arguing with so many experts here that are so sure that burn in is a farce. Have you listened to every headphone? Until you have, you can't make broad statements.I think that is fair enough and to dispute that is just plain ignorant

You're in the Sound Science forum, rommy. 

From Wiki (bold is mine):
"The scientific method is a body of techniques for investigating phenomena, acquiring new knowledge, or correcting and integrating previous knowledge. To be termed scientific, a method of inquiry must be based on empirical and measurable evidence subject to specific principles of reasoning. The Oxford English Dictionary defines the scientific method as: 'a method or procedure that has characterized natural science since the 17th century, consisting in systematic observation, measurement, and experiment, and the formulation, testing, and modification of hypotheses.' "

Jan 8, 2014 at 7:30 PM Post #101 of 164

Do you know how ridiculous that sounds?
Let me rephrase your statement in more approachable terms:
"Unless you've driven every car a few thousand miles you're making a sweeping statement if you say car engines don't have a burn in period."

The reason the scientific method exists is because knowledge transfer via stories and anecdotes has a zero chance of maintaining its integrity. Without emperical evidence, every one will have to re perform all the experiments on their own, and even then you'll end up with a variety of conclusions.

Jan 8, 2014 at 8:57 PM Post #102 of 164
popcorn.gif

I am enjoying all of the replies here, even if it is getting a little cyclical.

Anyhow, perhaps rommy simply needs to find another thread.  Not to say this is an eviction notice, rommy, but honestly, one's time can be better spent than trying to convince others of your argument in a forum which demands empirical evidence.

It was fun while it lasted everyone!

Jan 8, 2014 at 9:22 PM Post #103 of 164

popcorn.gif

I am enjoying all of the replies here, even if it is getting a little cyclical.

Anyhow, perhaps rommy simply needs to find another thread.  Not to say this is an eviction notice, rommy, but honestly, one's time can be better spent than trying to convince others of your argument in a forum which demands empirical evidence.

It was fun while it lasted everyone!

Summary:

1. Burn-in solved my headphone troubles. Thank you Burn-In!
  2. Bah! Humbug! Give me the proof! There is none? Bah! Humbug!
  3. How many headphones do you own? Have you tried every headphone on the planet? If not how can you say its humbug?
  4. Look, all I'm saying is Burn-in solved my headphone troubles. Thank you Burn-In!

Jan 8, 2014 at 9:37 PM Post #104 of 164
We have evidence against the audiophile claims in the form of independent measurements.

We also have at least two well-known manufacturers of pro-audio equipment, microphones, headphones that say that headphone driver burn-in has no audible effect on their headphones.

Both are covering several headphones where audiophiles claim that driver burn-in causes clearly audible changes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back