"Please Stop 'Burning In' Your Earphones"
Jan 7, 2014 at 9:19 PM Post #61 of 164
that's because they did sound better. When I got my 325s they sounded terrible I let them burn in for 4 days straight. AS PER INSTRUCTIONS. Sounded like a difference set of phones. and as I said I didn't listen to them and get used to them, I let them sit on a CD loop. They Played Much Louder and smoother...the people on here that doubt this, just never heard it.

Well here's my anecdote:
I bought the same headphones you did, and they sounded great out of the box. After 4 days of burn in with the same CD you used, they sounded much worse. Compared to new, they lacked dynamics, musicality and bass depth and slam. The soundstage became constricted, and they were so muddy that if I put them down on a newspaper for an hour, they left a stain and words became illegible.

Jan 7, 2014 at 9:20 PM Post #62 of 164
this is the paper sent with my 325s...the grado logo is on the flip side I could send that to you if you want...call and argue with them...and I disagree about sennhiser I've owned hd 800s and they sucked out of the box until the day I got rid of them. Your right, no change.

Jan 7, 2014 at 9:39 PM Post #63 of 164
this is the paper sent with my 325s...the grado logo is on the flip side I could send that to you if you want...call and argue with them...and I disagree about sennhiser I've owned hd 800s and they sucked out of the box until the day I got rid of them. Your right, no change.

Yes, and you can read that it says "we firmly recommend not allowing the headphones to play continuously for extended periods of time"?

(On the HD800: even more anecdotes, yay!)

But you posted:
When I got my 325s they sounded terrible I let them burn in for 4 days straight. AS PER INSTRUCTIONS.

Which is not very ... truthful. To put it bluntly: that's a lie.

It is hard for me to believe you anything anymore at this point. And who knows, there's a chance (albeit slim it still exists), that you've damaged your headphones.

edit: But on Grado, as I said before, they don't just put marketing nonsense onto their website but also in the product "manuals" or pieces of paper.

Jan 7, 2014 at 10:26 PM Post #66 of 164
For example, this company says you should burn in your cables: http://www.audioexcellenceaz.com/products/audiodharma-cable-cooker-cable-conditioner/

Does that mean you really need to? 

Yeah, that's terrifying.

There's an online retailer in Canada (name withheld) that I was planning to purchase some connectors / soldering material from.  When I realized that they offer 'cable cooking' on their wire products and cryo treatment on everything else I started asking myself what I was actually paying for.  I think I'll be looking elsewhere.

Jan 7, 2014 at 10:48 PM Post #67 of 164
I have an idea for a competing product. 

Step 1: Cut an extension cord in half.

Step 2: Strip wire.

Step 3: Wrap bare wire around the center pins on each end of your RCA cable.

Step 4: Plug into wall

beerchug.gif

Jan 7, 2014 at 10:56 PM Post #68 of 164
For those burning-in their headphones, how do you know it's better after a burn-in? Do you buy a new headphone to compare it with your burnt-in headphone? If not, how do you know what the sound was 4 days ago vs now?

Jan 8, 2014 at 3:54 AM Post #70 of 164
None of us are fixed stars in the firmament. We are in a constant state of flux.

You're not the same person you were at breakfast.

The absurdity of thinking a human head can accurately monitor mechanical changes in a headphone over time. Hilarious.

Vladimir and Estragon, come on in, your time is up. Rommy's here to replace you. Waiting For Grado.

Jan 8, 2014 at 4:49 AM Post #72 of 164
The human brain can perceive changes in sound over time. Your really over thinking this.

Right.
How long a duration are we talking about? Too long and your hearing changes on its own.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back