"Please Stop 'Burning In' Your Earphones"
Jan 6, 2014 at 10:30 PM Post #33 of 164
Look it's not like I'm saying every phone benefits from burn in..some that I've had did not change. But some did. John grado sends a page in the box saying the sound will change in time. Irregardless how can any of you say that I'm crazy, and I didn't hear anything..

Jan 6, 2014 at 10:34 PM Post #34 of 164
Short and sweet. .. you haven't disproved burn in either. Have you?

Do you understand what "burden of proof" means? You just committed another fallacy by trying to shift it.

and yes magnets do need to loosen up. Not the cone. enough with shure already.

Now you're just posting nonsense. Magnets need to loosen up?

Nothing needs to loosen up. In woofers, stressing the spider creates little cracks in the material making it weaker. That's the main reason for speaker burn-in.

The problem is that there are not even good theoretical arguments as to why there should be similar changes in headphone drivers. If you have ideas on that matter then please let us know.

If you stop being closed-minded I will tell you everything you want to know, in the appropriate threads or in PMs.

Jan 6, 2014 at 11:11 PM Post #36 of 164
  Please stop. What headphones anyone owns is irrelevant, and i think you know that.

First hand experience is just as important as evaluating studies to be false or true. As an example, I still remember that one dude sprouting how he can achieve high-end performance from simple computer headphones and speakers. That same dude hasn't heard at least one high-end headphone(HD800, HE-6, etc)..so what exactly was he comparing his headphones with such that he could achieve high-end performance.

I don't believe in burn-in and many other false information from head-fi but I also hold reservation between a person's( subjectivist or objectivists) opinion unless they have first hand experience with multiple headphones, especially the ones they are critical with. There are multiple people here that would say a headphone is crap but hasn't actually heard other headphones or generally lack experience with good sound. Likewise, there are measurement die-hards that haven't heard a headphone and still nitpick its performance based on a independent measurements. 

Besides, what is so hard in listing out what you have heard and what you haven't when you are in a headphone hobby community forum.

Jan 7, 2014 at 12:02 AM Post #38 of 164
  First hand experience is just as important as evaluating studies to be false or true. [...]

I agree with your examples, but i still think the question was pointless as far as burn-in goes.
Here's my personal experience with Panasonic RP-HT722, over hundreds of hours of listening: i perceive no difference in sound between today and the day i bought them.

Is that information of any use at all? Can someone accurately conduct an AB test with hundreds of hours between samples?
Now if someone has done a proper test, for example an ABX (or hey, even an AB test) between an old and a new set of the same model, i'd be very interested to hear about it.
If someone participating in this thread had conducted such a test, i think they'd have mentioned it by now. So all the information we have from personal experience is anecdotal, and of little to no use.

Jan 7, 2014 at 2:33 AM Post #39 of 164
This for some reason is a very emotive subject.
If we are going to discuss it without the thread descending into angry exchanges we need to keep it friendly.
Nobody is calling anyone crazy and no one is being a know all.
If you read this thread and others on the subject you will find many interesting points of logic and facts about psychoacoustics.

Jan 7, 2014 at 4:15 AM Post #40 of 164
How do you know that you're not just hearing your own bias? We've all fooled ourselves at one point or another in this hobby. It takes a credible person to actually admit it. 

Very true.
Most of what I know to be true is placebo!

Jan 7, 2014 at 4:20 AM Post #41 of 164
Short and sweet. .. you haven't disproved burn in either. Have you?
and yes magnets do need to loosen up. Not the cone. enough with shure already.

Magnets needs to loosen up - now thats funniest thing I ever heard. Bother to describe how they loosen up exactly? Do they become weaker, lose their electrons or become fatter and wider with age? :)  

Jan 7, 2014 at 8:13 AM Post #44 of 164
The trick is to remember that at least 50% of headfi (and hifi) is pure BS.

Jan 7, 2014 at 9:04 AM Post #45 of 164
I think I'm on the amateur page, time to exit

What are you a professional at?

Perhaps audio engineering like the guys at Shure?

I love that the most common argument to defend burn tends to be a variant of "I know what I hear with my own ears"

Just like those guys who saw Bigfoot, or Elvis in the chip shop.

This just in: I have run tests on my pet rabbit, who has far more acute hearing than I do. And 10 times out of 10 he can't hear any difference between a headphone that has been burned in and an organic carrot. And I double blindfolded him and everything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back