Please spend my money - how would you upgrade this work setup?
Mar 25, 2010 at 3:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

GuruSY

New Head-Fier
I just realized that I listen to more music at work than I do at home, but my work setup is vastly inferior:

Ipod Classic LOD -> Pa2v2 -> Ultrasone HFI-780

I have $800 burning a hole in my pocket. My requirements for work are:

1. Must be a headphone that does not leak much sound if any, I work in a cubicle farm.
2. No IEMs.
3. I cannot load my 30 gigs of music onto my work computers to use one of those USB DACs.
4. I have a little dot MKIV at home and it is about 30% bigger than I would want for any 1 piece of my setup. I will not be walking around with the gear though.

My personal preferences that might effect your recommendation:
1. I think the 780 is a little too harsh sounding for my tastes. I prefer my DT880s or my Senn 580s that I use at home. However if a better source and amp would help more, the 780 would be fine if my money is better spent elsewhere.
2. I love the sound of my Little Dot MK IV, i.e. the warm tube sound.

Thanks!

Mar 25, 2010 at 4:10 PM Post #2 of 16
Well the nuforce Icon HDP makes a nice manageable package but from all reports it's on the transparent/bright side rather than warm (this is all second-hand knowledge; please go read the review thread yourself to verify). The ESW10JPN might suit your needs, paired with a low cost dac/amp, if there's still any left. The soundstage won't be huge, but it's got detail and a lovely sound signature.

Mar 25, 2010 at 5:08 PM Post #3 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ypoknons /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well the nuforce Icon HDP makes a nice manageable package but from all reports it's on the transparent/bright side rather than warm (this is all second-hand knowledge; please go read the review thread yourself to verify). The ESW10JPN might suit your needs, paired with a low cost dac/amp, if there's still any left. The soundstage won't be huge, but it's got detail and a lovely sound signature.

Is there a way to actually use a DAC when you have an iPod? i.e. get the digital output from the iPod into the DAC?

Mar 25, 2010 at 5:12 PM Post #4 of 16
With a Onkyo ND-S1 or Wadia iTransport, I think the Audio Technica AT-HA35i has a digital output too... btw, the ESW10JPN sounds damn good out of an iPod, but can certainly be improved.

Mar 25, 2010 at 5:28 PM Post #5 of 16
I use the NuForce line out adapter for iPod and it does improve the sound clarity quite a bit compared to the headphone out. Not only does the sound quality improve, it also lets you use the amp volume control as the only volume control.

Mar 25, 2010 at 5:45 PM Post #6 of 16
One quick alternative to loading 30 gb of music onto your work computer is just keeping it on an external - that's what I do at home.

Mar 25, 2010 at 5:54 PM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by AmanGeorge /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One quick alternative to loading 30 gb of music onto your work computer is just keeping it on an external - that's what I do at home.

x2. It's easy enough to set up whatever player you use to play from an external hard drive.

Mar 25, 2010 at 7:00 PM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by fjrabon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
x2. It's easy enough to set up whatever player you use to play from an external hard drive.

Wow I can't believe I didn't think of that! I guess I can use a traditional DAC setup! I think I'm going to upgrade my DAC and AMP first since my 780s are the highest quality portion of my current setup.

Mar 25, 2010 at 7:12 PM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by sree /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I use the NuForce line out adapter for iPod and it does improve the sound clarity quite a bit compared to the headphone out. Not only does the sound quality improve, it also lets you use the amp volume control as the only volume control.

Yeah I mentioned that in my setup that I was using the Ipod with the line out to my Pa2v2. Maybe this line out is simply good enough and I should just upgrade my amp. I don't own a DAC at all so I'm not really sure what I am missing, I use my iPod line out for everything lol. That is why I kind of want to know what people's opinions are on how to best upgrade my setup.

Mar 26, 2010 at 12:52 AM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by baka1969 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you want a resonably portable amp that is a bit warmer sounding for SS, the Headroom Portable Micro Amp is a decent choice. It's rechargable.

Can you provide a comparison between this and the iBasso D10? Which one (or both?) would provide enough juice if I wanted to upgrade my 780s (for example to the ESW10JPN)?

(Sorry for making this an amp discussion in the headphone forums.)

Mar 26, 2010 at 1:30 AM Post #12 of 16
I can't comment about the D10. I can say the (non portable) version of the Micro Amp I had has three gain settings to drive a wide variety of headphones and will drive even the most stubborn. I know rthe portable has the same feature. It also has crossfeed. I've written about the Micro Amp a few times. In my sig are a couple of links that might answer some questions.
smily_headphones1.gif

Peace,

Mar 26, 2010 at 2:16 AM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by AmanGeorge /img/forum/go_quote.gif

... and I was getting so close into talking him into something he didn't need
wink_face.gif

I used to have a Micro Desktop (2006) but well things are rather different. I almost jumped actually - what!? The Micro doesn't use 2x 9V batteries anymore!?

Mar 26, 2010 at 3:24 AM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ypoknons /img/forum/go_quote.gif
... and I was getting so close into talking him into something he didn't need
wink_face.gif

I used to have a Micro Desktop (2006) but well things are rather different. I almost jumped actually - what!? The Micro doesn't use 2x 9V batteries anymore!?

Lol, I'm such an idiot. I also realized that I can just connect my iPod to my work PC and play the sound through the laptop to the USB DAC. I don't even need a portable drive lol.

I think I'm doing to try a D10. It is less than half the price of the Headroom and if it doesn't work out, I can just use it as a DAC for my home setup which currently lacks a DAC. After reading reviews, it seems that the D10 gets a lot of love from this site.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back