please recommend!
Aug 3, 2008 at 3:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

jcfs

New Head-Fier
Hi guys, I know most of you are tired of questions lacking in detail and previous research. So I will try to provide you with as much information as possible, and it would be great if you guys could help me pick up a phone that meets the criteria most closely.

The criteria is descending in order of importance.

1. I need to be able to enjoy the phone. Now, I know that the definition for enjoyment is different for everybody, so I will try to specify. I derive enjoyment from studying the separation of instruments and how each harmonizes in relation to other instruments. In other words, phone that allows careful attention to detail is what I'm looking for.

2. Sound
Bass that is not overpowering, but has a definitepresence. I need to be able to hear the texture and detail of each bass kick. While it should have an impact, it should not overshadow other minor details of other instruments. As a drummer, I also need to be able to hear clarity of the cymbols and even the most minor details. Also, I listen to a lot of rap. so clarity, detail, and forwardness of voice is important.

3. Versatility
I listen to rap/hip hop the most, then R&B, pop, and rock.

4. Prince Range
$200-$300, but not absolute

Suggestions welcome!
Oh, and sorry if the title seemed informative rather than inquisitive... I just really wanted the attention =)
Thanks HeadFi!

Aug 3, 2008 at 5:32 AM Post #2 of 10
I don't listen to rap/hip-hop, so I can't give advice there, but a couple of headphones come to mind that you might enjoy.

One is the Beyerdynamic DT880. It has a huge amount of clarity and detail and is slightly forward in the high end. You will hear the shimmer of cymbals and the crackle of snares just fine. The bass is there but not overpowering and is clean. A lot of people love this headphone - myself included - and it does great with R&B, pop and rock. It goes for about $300 these days, though you can find used ones for less.

Another is the Sony MDR-SA5000. It is one of the most detailed headphones I've ever heard - you won't miss a thing with them. The highs are crisp and the bass is pretty good, too. However, these are polarizing and people either love them or hate them. Also, the wires can get flaky and sometimes need repair. I had to resolder the leads on the left earpiece for mine. They've been fine since, but keep in mind that this happens to quite a few owners. I'd recommend a lot of searches and reading before you buy a pair, but they might be exactly what you're looking for. B&H sells them for $370, which is a little above your budget.

Aug 3, 2008 at 9:47 PM Post #3 of 10
Oh, I actually had DT 880 in mind. I've read many threads regarding DT 880 but was concerned with the bass. People seem to say that it may be too weak for my purposes. So, what would you guys say?

Does DT 880 have bass that is present, but not overpowering, coupled with texture and detail? Please keep in mind that even though I am listening to hip-hop most frequently, although from an analytical perspective, in which the separation of instruments is pretty crucial.

Aug 3, 2008 at 10:01 PM Post #4 of 10
The BeyerDynamic DT990 should fulfill your needs as well.
Enjoyable, lots of bass (but not overpowering), clear, crisp highs....

Aug 3, 2008 at 10:11 PM Post #6 of 10
Do you have an amp, to my knowledge both the DT 880 and MDR-SA5000 require an amp to sound the way they should. In terms of a textured, warm, but not overpowering bass, the HD650s might suit what you need, they perform very well with almost all genres, especially with vocals. Not sure how they do with hip hop tho, my guess is just about the same at the DT880s. You can find them around the 300$ price point new, you just have to look really hard.

From what Ive heard about the SA5000s, they sound like they would meet your needs best if your willing to stretch the budget a bit (if you dont have an amp, look to spending another 200-400$ for all the headphones that you will probably be recommended )

Aug 3, 2008 at 10:15 PM Post #7 of 10
DT990 sounds like it might be your thing.

Aug 4, 2008 at 2:24 AM Post #8 of 10
Thanks for all the kind responses. I am actually having a quite hard time narrowing this down to dt 880 vs dt 990. I know this may have been discussed to death, but I can't seem to quite pin-point what suits my needs.

So, I think I am concerned with dt 880 for the rather less than prominent bass, while I am concerned with dt 990 for less detail and separation. DT 880 seems to fit all of my needs except for the bass. But before I make such an assumption, how much bass is actually present in dt880?

I have never purchased hi-fi equipments, so my reference for the quantity of bass is mdr-v150.

Sony MDR-V150

Thanks!

Aug 4, 2008 at 2:41 AM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by jcfs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for all the kind responses. I am actually having a quite hard time narrowing this down to dt 880 vs dt 990. I know this may have been discussed to death, but I can't seem to quite pin-point what suits my needs.

Just MHO, and I've never heard the 880s, but I had a pair of 990s for a while and did not like them. I found them to be really unnatural sounding with overly peaky treble. I guess you could call it detail, but it just sounded piercing to me. The bass is well textured and has a fair amount of impact, but that weird treble and recessed mids ruined the sound for me. And BTW, I'm not a treble-phobe, either -- listening to Grado SR80s even as I write this and loving them.

Aug 4, 2008 at 10:38 AM Post #10 of 10

Users who are viewing this thread

Back