Please recommend the ideal place to live in the U.S.
Aug 13, 2012 at 6:12 PM Post #46 of 67
Quote:
I've noticed that people from New England and California feel no need to bash other regions of the country.

Feel no need? We scoff and laugh inside at them more.
We are more progressive (but not enough imo) and so can laugh at some utterly ridiculous things and etc etc. The south gets the most scoffing as you can imagine.

We are also more open with theology and religion that many other areas of the U.S aren't open with and I guess are more technical...or as technical as the "main" East Coast can get against California.

We are also more accepting of orientation or anything really. But keep in mind. I am saying MORE accepting than the majority U.S...not fully you can go flaunt your anarchy open.

Aug 13, 2012 at 6:18 PM Post #47 of 67
Worth a try anyways
cool.gif

Aug 13, 2012 at 6:21 PM Post #48 of 67
If there was ever a place id rather live than oregon, it would be New Hampshire. Oregon is awesome as far as weather goes. Never gets too hot in the summer, maybe in the upper 70s low 80s, other than the odd heat wave here and there. and in the winter it mostly stays in the 40s, other than maybe once snow storm each year, its a whole load more temperate than where i am now in Ohio. but it does rain a lot in oregon, and i im talking about western oregon, in the valley, if your on the east side of the mountains all bets are off.

But as far as New Hampshire goes, it would be mainly for the laws and politcal climate there, though from what ive heard the NE is pretty similar to the NW as far as climate goes. probably a bit colder in the winter though.

Aug 13, 2012 at 6:22 PM Post #49 of 67
Quote:
Worth a try anyways
cool.gif

Hmm but we do bash I guess? In the sense of seeing things in a more "progressive" light(there;s that word again) and do make some comments about other states and things that we don't personally like and other things. I guess you can call it assertive mumbling? With the occasional "oh no you don't" unified shout.

Aug 13, 2012 at 6:24 PM Post #50 of 67
Quote:
If there was ever a place id rather live than oregon, it would be New Hampshire. Oregon is awesome as far as weather goes. Never gets too hot in the summer, maybe in the upper 70s low 80s, other than the odd heat wave here and there. and in the winter it mostly stays in the 40s, other than maybe once snow storm each year, its a whole load more temperate than where i am now in Ohio. but it does rain a lot in oregon, and i im talking about western oregon, in the valley, if your on the east side of the mountains all bets are off.

But as far as New Hampshire goes, it would be mainly for the laws and politcal climate there, though from what ive heard the NE is pretty similar to the NW as far as climate goes. probably a bit colder in the winter though.

New England again lol

The laws over there are pretty nice although it will sometimes be on a tad bit colder side than here in CT.

I do like the more lax laws in NH..but then again as a CT-zen, I only know the laws as being very lax from popular news articles about it and other citizens of NH chiming in. I guess good place for some "natural" sports/hobbies and what not. Just went on a camping trip there.

Aug 13, 2012 at 6:32 PM Post #51 of 67
I was just trying to keep things positive, in the spirit of the OP, which doesn't ask where not to live. Also implying that the area suggested should be a good sell based on its own merits, not from subjectively describing other areas in a negative light.

example:

Objective fact = California has serious fiscal problems.

Subjective nonsense = California is full of commie weirdos.

Aug 13, 2012 at 6:32 PM Post #52 of 67
Aug 13, 2012 at 6:34 PM Post #53 of 67
Quote:
I was just trying to keep things positive, in the spirit of the OP, which doesn't ask where not to live. Also implying that the area suggested should be a good sell based on its own merits, not from subjectively describing other areas in a negative light.

example:

Objective fact = California has serious fiscal problems.

Subjective nonsense = California is full of commie weirdos.

Haha, I didn't mention any bad area's either. But New England or the surrounding states and area's are generally fine. The New England and surrounding states be it NY or Penn or Maryland or Delaware form my knowledge are all fine states with good combination of the great outdoors, nice wide suburbs, closed and compact suburbs, cities, metropolitan and etc.

Aug 13, 2012 at 6:34 PM Post #54 of 67
Quote:
I'll add to this: good luck finding a house for $250k or less - property values have SKYROCKETED due to the massive influx of Californians who are willing and able to pony up $400-$800k for a 2 BR or $2000/mo for similar (and this is an oddly documented demographic trend - Colorado is the world's largest importer of Californians, and back in history, California used to be the world's largest importer of Coloradans).
The airport, however, is not indicative of the entire region - it's out in the sticks. Be glad it isn't KSLC
wink.gif
The guy who said it's all sprawl is entirely right about the I-25 Corridor too, I remember a time not really that long ago when 20-30 miles in any direction was ranchland or wasteland, and now it's all overpriced apartments and cookie cutter suburbs, a lot like the Valley or the Bay. That said, stay on the Utah side of the mountains, or go towards Kansas or Arizona, and you dump all of that and go back to dirt-cheap land, dirt-cheap houses, and an agricultural/rural Zen thing. So if you want that, Colorado on the whole isn't a terrible idea - you just have to be willing to commute or find whatever work exists in that area (which is probably not white-collar).
Yeah. This for Colorado too. Except they all come from California.
tongue.gif
(I keed I keed).

Here I thought you were a Scotsman.

It's crazy, but I've noticed a large number of Californians make their way all the way over to Oklahoma!  California also used to be a large importer of Oklahomans (Okies).

Aug 13, 2012 at 7:13 PM Post #55 of 67
Perhaps the problem is that Californians can no longer afford to live in large parts of California.  The company I work for recently opened a new facility in Texas.  We had about 10 people volunteer to move from California to Texas, and for most of them it was the only way they thought they would be able to buy a home.  My company made it fairly attractive - anyone that transferred would keep their same salary, which translates into a pretty good bump when you compare the cost of living in the two locations.

I am simply a self-proclaimed weather wuss.  What most of you would call mild sounds bad to me.  40 degrees is 20 degrees too cold for me.  I understand that most (normal) people enjoy the seasons of the year - I'm just not one of them.  I had to travel back and forth to Kansas City one Winter and the cold wind and icy rains just about did me in.  I just abhor being cold.

Aug 13, 2012 at 7:21 PM Post #56 of 67
Quote:
Perhaps the problem is that Californians can no longer afford to live in large parts of California.  The company I work for recently opened a new facility in Texas.  We had about 10 people volunteer to move from California to Texas, and for most of them it was the only way they thought they would be able to buy a home.  My company made it fairly attractive - anyone that transferred would keep their same salary, which translates into a pretty good bump when you compare the cost of living in the two locations.

I am simply a self-proclaimed weather wuss.  What most of you would call mild sounds bad to me.  40 degrees is 20 degrees too cold for me.  I understand that most (normal) people enjoy the seasons of the year - I'm just not one of them.  I had to travel back and forth to Kansas City one Winter and the cold wind and icy rains just about did me in.  I just abhor being cold.

You and I man. I hate the cold too but put up with it haha. That was a great pic. I can just somewhat imagine you doing that.

Aug 13, 2012 at 7:26 PM Post #57 of 67
Not to get political, but many California's fiscal problems are because they voted to freeze property taxes back in the 1970's with Proposition 13. So CA's homeowners actually have it pretty good, at least compared to those who rent, as the state is forced to make up the funds from elsewhere (raising everything from sales taxes to DMV fees). It's an unsolvable "third rail" issue at this point.

Aug 13, 2012 at 9:11 PM Post #58 of 67
I have lived everywhere up and down the east coast from Vermont (check out Burlington or Essex Junction) to Mobile, Alabama. I finally settled on a town just outside Boston due to proximity to my wife's family. If I was in your shoes, with your filters, and considering anything on the east coast I would settle in Charlestown, South Carolina. Its perfect and hits every single one of your criteria. Bon Chance.

Aug 13, 2012 at 9:15 PM Post #59 of 67
Visited Minneapolis once, i still think the city of lakes is a good place to live in the Us. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back