Please recommend speakers amp and dac for under $3000 total.
Oct 2, 2018 at 7:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Sylanthra

New Head-Fier
I am looking to upgrade my pc audio set up. I am currently using Audioengine A5+ connected to
Creative Sound Blaster ZxR sound card. As far as I can tell, that's as good as powered speaker/internal pc audio gets. I would like to upgrade and it look like I will need to get unpowered speaker and a dedicated amp and dac. Unfortunately, I am completely overwhelmed by all the choices out there. I don't even know how I should allocate my funds for the best results. I am guessing that speakers are most important, but I don't know

If you can tell me what components to buy and why, that would be great. If not, please let me know what I should be looking for when reading review and how much of my budget I should allocate to each component.

Thanks

Oct 2, 2018 at 9:52 PM Post #2 of 18
Last edited:
Oct 2, 2018 at 10:15 PM Post #3 of 18
What will your primary use be? Since what I'd recommend for gaming is completely different than what I'd recommend for music.

Oct 2, 2018 at 10:50 PM Post #5 of 18
Looking to throw money at getting better sound is not always the way to go. Look at speaker placement and room treatment first. The first thing is your speakers on stands? If they are just setting on a desk then you are not hearing them right. The tweeter should be at eye or ear level. Give that a try first. Before I dropped 3k I would set the room up first.

Oct 2, 2018 at 10:53 PM Post #6 of 18
You should have no problem improving audio quality, by replacing the Audio Engine A5+ studio monitors, with higher priced studio monitors.
Adam Audio studio monitors?
https://www.amazon.com/Adam-Audio-A5X-Powered-Monitor/dp/B003USH8UO/ref=cm_wl_huc_item
https://www.amazon.com/Adam-Audio-A7X-Powered-Monitor/dp/B003SYYU9C
Connect the SB-ZxR line-output to the line-input on the studio monitors

Adams are great, Focals are equally respected and I love my Dynaudios. If you want to go passive see if you can pick up a used set of Amphion Argons. Massdrop had an Amphion drop awhile ago and someone here had a set for sale awhile ago too.
I'd say avoid KRK's unless your planning to buy used and you have a tight budget.

Oct 2, 2018 at 10:54 PM Post #7 of 18
Looking to throw money at getting better sound is not always the way to go. Look at speaker placement and room treatment first. The first thing is your speakers on stands? If they are just setting on a desk then you are not hearing them right. The tweeter should be at eye or ear level. Give that a try first. Before I dropped 3k I would set the room up first.

+1
Stands and room treatment will tighten up the sound significantly

Oct 2, 2018 at 11:04 PM Post #8 of 18

The speakers are not on a stand. Is https://www.amazon.com/Audioengine-Desktop-Speaker-Stands-Pair/dp/B005STCILC the sort of thing I should use?
Also, what do you mean by room treatment?

You should have no problem improving audio quality, by replacing the Audio Engine A5+ studio monitors, with higher priced studio monitors.
Adam Audio studio monitors?
https://www.amazon.com/Adam-Audio-A5X-Powered-Monitor/dp/B003USH8UO/ref=cm_wl_huc_item
https://www.amazon.com/Adam-Audio-A7X-Powered-Monitor/dp/B003SYYU9C
Connect the SB-ZxR line-output to the line-input on the studio monitors

Well, I guess I should have figured out the correct search terms. Search for bookshelf speakers, get one thing. Search for speakers, get another. I should have been searching for studio monitors. Both of those look very interesting. Thanks for the recommendation.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2018 at 11:07 PM Post #9 of 18
Oct 2, 2018 at 11:09 PM Post #10 of 18
I wouldnt use those stands to be honest, I use heavy stands (currently marble, previously garden tiles) with felt to protect the speakers and rubber or cork to protect your desk.
Heavier stands are more inert and tend to tighten bass response up

Oct 2, 2018 at 11:16 PM Post #11 of 18
I also would find a different stand a straight stand would be better as the wegdes have to be at a certain distance to get them at the right height .

Oct 2, 2018 at 11:16 PM Post #12 of 18
About equal of both.

Considering this, I think I'd actually suggest getting a surround sound setup, with particularly nice front channel speakers to use in stereo for music (since music would sound better this way I think). The improvement for gaming/TV/movies is too big to ignore. Would it be possible for you to have surround speakers?

Oct 2, 2018 at 11:26 PM Post #13 of 18
Considering this, I think I'd actually suggest getting a surround sound setup, with particularly nice front channel speakers to use in stereo for music (since music would sound better this way I think). The improvement for gaming/TV/movies is too big to ignore. Would it be possible for you to have surround speakers?

I've thought about getting a surround system many times, but my desk is in the corner of my office and the fifth speaker would basically have to be dead center in the room.

Oct 3, 2018 at 12:09 AM Post #14 of 18
I've thought about getting a surround system many times, but my desk is in the corner of my office and the fifth speaker would basically have to be dead center in the room.
For about $600 (or a little less), I would be able to get you a 2.1 setup, that you would like better the the current A5+
Pair of JBL LSR306 studio monitors ($300) and a Monoprice 10" sub-woofer ($180)
(plus tax & shipping)
So you would not have to spend $3000 for better sounding audio.
Or maybe spend $1000 for a pair of studio monitors (brand?) and add a sub-woofer ($200-$500)
(A sub-woofer designed to work with studio monitors)

The SB-ZxR has a good DAC function, so can't see a current reason to replace it.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2018 at 12:09 AM Post #15 of 18

Do you have a pic of your current setup?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back