Please recommend me some Deep Funk
Mar 30, 2010 at 9:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Hokum

New Head-Fier
Hello,

I'm not sure what genre I'm searching for, so I have to ask the pros...
Basically, it's a groovy kind of funk with prominent bass-lines... I always loved the similar groove underlying Downtempo and Funk-Rock, so influences in these directions are welcome too.

Some songs I like:
James brown - get up and drive your funky soul (!!!)
Superbad OST - Superwhat
TM Juke Remix of Quantic Soul Orchestra - Walkin' Through Tomorrow
David Bowie - Fame

Of course I know Parliament, Kool and The Gang, James Brown and such, but maybe you have some more unusual tips for me. Maybe some samplers, some new genres to explore?

cheers,
Albert

Mar 30, 2010 at 10:10 AM Post #3 of 21
I am from the Uk so am biased to uk artists but in the past few years in funk i've been enjoying:

6ix toys
The Apples
Krafty Kuts
Courtney Pine
Fdel
Men from S.P.E.C.T.R.E
Funkadelic
Maceo Parker
Smoove
The Link Quartet
Featurecast

They may not be downtempo or funk-rock but i've seen about half of them live and think they're brilliant.

Mar 30, 2010 at 11:58 AM Post #4 of 21
'In The Jungle Groove' by James Brown & JB's is a good starting point, because the long version of 'Funky Drummer' is funky, jazzy and with the right headphones/speakers the bass just makes for a groove I thoroughly enjoy. That track is sacred for me.

The names in the posts before me should be good too. There's also a Funk appreciation thread where Leeperry and others posted albums I have to add to my wish list. It's just a 'small' Funk overload.

Mar 30, 2010 at 3:50 PM Post #6 of 21
Sly and the Family Stone - There's a Riot Goin' On

Thick as honey made by bees sucking off poppies. Sweet, sticky, and addictive for all the decadent bleakness, there's still a lot of hip shaking. It's the perfect music to **** to as the bombs drop and the planet catches on fire.

Mar 31, 2010 at 11:09 AM Post #7 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Deep Funk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
'In The Jungle Groove' by James Brown & JB's is a good starting point

Damn good album, that. And if you don't have it already, "The CD of JB (Sex Machine and Other Soul Classics)" is a must have.

Mar 31, 2010 at 8:08 PM Post #8 of 21
Hello all,

I'm overwhelmed by all these great recommendations, thanks to every one of you. I will need some time to listen through these, though.

In addition I found two very simple words that describe exactly what I was looking for: Deep Funk

Cheers

Mar 31, 2010 at 9:39 PM Post #9 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hokum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I found two very simple words that describe exactly what I was looking for: Deep Funk

to be perfectly exact, the doctor's prescription says "Super Heavy Funk"
markdavis.gif

r7103471173820562.jpg

YouTube - James Brown - Sexy Sexy Sexy

Apr 1, 2010 at 10:28 AM Post #13 of 21
Amazon offers some rare albums on CD, but I don't like paying for all my stuff with credit cards.

There is another problem. If you're into Funk and you want the best James Brown & The JB's made there are always other versions. James Brown & The JB's made numerous versions of their tracks so you have to be picky and sometimes buy an extra album, or more just to be able to listen and make a choice which version of a track you prefer.

Happy hunting... (What I wrote about 'versions' also applies to other artists.)

Apr 1, 2010 at 11:56 AM Post #14 of 21
humm? it's just a compilation of some of his best songs...nothing to show off here(besides I'm not sure I could be referred to as a "brother"
biggrin.gif
)

I'm just saying that the exact denomination is "Super Heavy Funk", and there's zillions of such compilations available on the market.

I just bought this one(there's some mp3 previews too): Funky Hot Pants: 14 Super Rare Original Funk Monsters From The Late 60's To The Early 70's

and I like those liner notes, they perfectly reflect what "heavy funk" is:

Parliament and Funkadelic are just so lame to heavy funk lovers...I cannot stand them personally, and I'm far from being the only one
wink.gif

Apr 1, 2010 at 12:31 PM Post #15 of 21
lol Man, that's gold right there. Thank you for the rather brutal enlightenment ^, and sorry for the slight. It just looked like some awesome crusty vinyl discovery.

You are a true soul brother.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back