Please recommend me an IEM that sounds like AKG 702?
Sep 23, 2012 at 7:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

zenpmd

New Head-Fier
I love my 702 and I prefer a balanced, natural, clear sound with great seperation. HD650 are too warm and engineered. What should I be considering as an IEM? I am pairing them up with some custom silicone sleeves.

Thanks

Sep 23, 2012 at 7:38 PM Post #2 of 8
While there may be no IEM that conveys the K-702's  sense of space, the etymotics brand does have a the clarity you may be looking for.  And the Etymotic (stock) silicon tips offer terrific isolation.

Sep 23, 2012 at 8:29 PM Post #3 of 8
Nothing..? I would say Etymotic, but they don't come close to the soundstage the K70x portrays. Another good one would be the Hifiman RE272

Sep 29, 2012 at 9:53 PM Post #5 of 8
I've only heard two brands on the list, Etymotics and Shure.  Both are very good, but I did like the sound of the Etymotics
better even though the Shures were fuller sounding.  I liked the clarity/neutrality of the Etymotic sound.  FWIW... 

Oct 11, 2012 at 1:25 PM Post #7 of 8
I think Phonak Audeo PFE single driver with grey filters is closer to the AKG sound than Etymotics. Out of Etymotic IEMs, the ER4S is the one that resembles K702 somewhat, but has a different tone to it. I think PFE is closer in tone to AKGs and also has a wider, better separated soundstage image than resembles AKGs more. It does lack the detail of K702, but is sufficiently detailed.

Oct 12, 2012 at 6:31 PM Post #8 of 8
I own both the K702 and Etymotic ERP4 with custom tips. The Etymotic sounds far better. there is way more detail with better bass and detail and they require less power to push to a reasonable volume.
I did a side-by-side listening to Alison Krauss's "So Long So Wrong" ripped to my computer at 320kb. THe Etys were a stand-out IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back