Please recommend me an 80 GB iPod Classic case!
Oct 21, 2007 at 1:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

AFK

Head-Fier
Here are my requirements:

* No part of the iPod is exposed except for the bottom dock; the bottom dock MUST be accessible as I don't want to remove my iPod just to attach my LOD cable.
* The click wheel must still be functional through the protected layer (NO CUT OUT).
* The case must be either clear/see-through or a very clean looking material.

The Invisible Skin/BSE/whatever won't work for me mainly because the corners are still exposed. The Otter Box (even if they aren't available until November 30 for the iPod Classic) unfortunately renders the bottom dock inaccessible. And I've seen some really clean and sharp looking aluminum cases, but the click wheel is exposed.
frown.gif

Thanks!

Oct 21, 2007 at 2:34 AM Post #2 of 17
Oct 21, 2007 at 3:33 AM Post #4 of 17
wrap your ipod in an invisible skin, and then on top of that, find another case to put it in. then you will have the click wheel protection of the invisible skin, combined with the 100% coverage of a case

Oct 21, 2007 at 3:36 AM Post #5 of 17
I say get a Decalgirl skin - looks fabulous and gives you protection as well. You can peel it off when ur in the mood to get a new look.

couple it with a BestSkinsEver screen cover and ur all set.

Oct 21, 2007 at 7:05 AM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by urabus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
http://www.shadescases.com/

i have one for a 5.5/80gb ipod. it is full coverage, thin, doesn't block the headphone jack or dock. i think ones for the classic will be released soon.

that looks awesome!

but i'm not finding any information about:

* what material it's made of
* how scratch resistant the case/skin is
* actual photos of the case, and particularly of the top ports and bottom dock

frown.gif

Oct 21, 2007 at 1:50 PM Post #9 of 17
I am very partial to the Contour Case, it is two cases in one. First it has a hard plastic and on the edges a layer of softer rubber to help absorb impacts. The case for the new classic should be out in about 4 weeks.

Oct 21, 2007 at 3:24 PM Post #10 of 17
The itreadz (see my post above) from ifrogz is a thin silicone based cover that is resistant to dust and for $29 comes with the case, and surrounding band in the color of your choice and a screenz protector that covers the whole front of the classic from top to bottom underneath the case.
Trust me, this is the way to go...and they have instant shpping and the nicest customer service you'd ever want to deal wit.

Watch the instructional tutorials on the site.

I picked black to go with my black iMod 80gig.

Oct 21, 2007 at 7:40 PM Post #11 of 17
I too have been looking for a good case for me Black 5.5G iPod.

I have not seen the Shades yet, thanks for posting it. great price! and ultra thin. how well does it work with oversized headphone plugs like whats on the Grado's? they do not mention the type of screen protection other than it being Crystal Clear. anyone? I'd like to get the Clearly Original color but their site recommends the darker colors for the Black iPod. any experience?

others that I have been looking at is the iFrogz Frogz Case do to it's thick protection, Agent 18's Video Shield do to it being a clear hard case with a nice clean look to it, the Vakaadoo do to it being a rubber coated hard case with a clean look and the 45 iPod Case for just being so cool looking.

all seem to have good access to the port, headphone jack and hold switch and all but the 45 iPod Case would need to be modded to except oversized headphone jacks like on the Grado's. I will mostly be using me iPod with a TurboDock V11 and a MicroAmp so the headphone jack access may not be a real concern but would have to be capable of modification.

I also plan on getting the HeadRoom Portable MicroStrap to use in me setup so a hard case design might be best do to the use of velcro to secure the iPod to the stand.

I like the skin type cases, prefer a hard case but something that has good shock protection is important too. I can be clumsy at times. any other thoughts from anyone for 5.5G iPods and the OP Classic iPod?

Oct 21, 2007 at 7:59 PM Post #12 of 17
Regarding the Shades:

http://ilounge.com/index.php/news/co...now-available/ (read the comments)
http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/ipo...ades-for-ipod/

immtbiker, does the iTreadz come in a clean version without all the treading and bumps? If it's as clean looking as aluminum or clear plastic/acrylic/resin, then I'd definitely consider it!
smily_headphones1.gif

So I spent much time last night researching this...I basically came down to 2 strong contenders:

The iSkin's Claro and the PDO Aluminum V2. Both are still on preorder for the iPod Classic, but I decided to go with the PDO Aluminum V2 because it looks sharper, even though it's not as protective as the Claro - I'll only be using my iPod mainly at home and in the car.

http://iskin.com/claro/index.tpl?cart=11929370775478535
http://www.pdostore.com/index.cfm?fu...Product_ID=243

The amazing thing about the Claro is that it's pretty much the ONLY clear case that is truly scratch resistant.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQyPGjCk2mE

Oct 21, 2007 at 8:43 PM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by AFK /img/forum/go_quote.gif
immtbiker, does the iTreadz come in a clean version without all the treading and bumps? If it's as clean looking as aluminum or clear plastic/acrylic/resin, then I'd definitely consider it!
smily_headphones1.gif

No...checking the whole site shows that all of their cases have some sort of tread or pattern to it.

Oct 21, 2007 at 10:01 PM Post #14 of 17
I know my choice doesn't meet your criteria but after trying several cases, from Belkin, Incase, Contour, and some cheapy ones I found one that made me happy, the Agent 18 hardshell, the only thing exposed is the wheel, so if your close to an apple store give it a try,

Oct 21, 2007 at 10:08 PM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am very partial to the Contour Case, it is two cases in one. First it has a hard plastic and on the edges a layer of softer rubber to help absorb impacts. The case for the new classic should be out in about 4 weeks.

I just bought one of these for my 5.5, and simply left the plastic on from Apple to protect the front... Works great!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back