Please recommend jazz album
Jun 11, 2023 at 3:57 PM Post #50 of 55
Art Tatum - The Tatum Group Masterpieces, Volume Eight (1956)

Hah! I recommended Art Tatum to you. Glad you enjoy! :)

It's like 3 or 4 guys playing at the same time. But it was only him...

Jun 12, 2023 at 6:30 PM Post #51 of 55
Hah! I recommended Art Tatum to you. Glad you enjoy! :)

It's like 3 or 4 guys playing at the same time. But it was only him...

True, it was you! Glad for your recommendation as well! :)

Agreed, right? Might have been overshadowed by the fame of other counterparts as the mighty Armstrong.

Jun 12, 2023 at 6:46 PM Post #52 of 55
True, it was you! Glad for your recommendation as well! :)

Agreed, right? Might have been overshadowed by the fame of other counterparts as the mighty Armstrong.

Well, his solo piano is nopareil. I enjoy his solo works a lot more than when he played in group settings. I believe Art was fully recognized for his incredible talent at the time and thereafter :)

Jun 12, 2023 at 7:09 PM Post #53 of 55
Well, his solo piano is nopareil. I enjoy his solo works a lot more than when he played in group settings. I believe Art was fully recognized for his incredible talent at the time and thereafter :)

Indeed it seems like he had no paragon. Did he work on other projects too? Well, it may just be that jazz doesn't get the recognition I believe it deserves -not like is anything mainstream, but stopping to have that feeling to be so obscure where I live-.

You know, if you are from the US that was literally the cradle of the genre:dt880smile:.

Jun 14, 2023 at 4:22 AM Post #54 of 55
Indeed it seems like he had no paragon. Did he work on other projects too?

I am not sure I know what you meant. He played clubs and had a bunch of solo albums, played trios and quartets at times. But I enjoy his solo works the most.

I'm pretty sure this does not include everything he recorded but some useful info on this page https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Art_Tatum_discography

Well, it may just be that jazz doesn't get the recognition I believe it deserves -not like is anything mainstream, but stopping to have that feeling to be so obscure where I live-.

It really depends. I was into jazz since I was a kid and for me it was mainstream. We had a pure jazz radio station and good record stores, it was easy to find music to listen to. I got into record collecting and was hitting 10 record stores every weekend.

If you enjoy solo instruments as I do, check out some of Oscar Peterson's solo piano, Exclusively for My Friends box set is a good place to start (but not all of it is solo). His solo of Bye Bye Blackbird is one of the greatest exhibitions of piano playing of all time.

Also try Joe Pass Virtuoso albums. The great thing about jazz is if you never listen to anything recorded after 1976 or so, you have more than enough great music to last many lifetimes :)

For great trio piano, listen to Monty Alexander's Love and Sunshine. He has other good albums but this is my favorite.

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2023 at 11:32 AM Post #55 of 55
Dave Brubeck - Jazz Impressions of Japan (1964)

1691854266615.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back