Please recommend female singers with acoustic guitar
May 2, 2005 at 3:21 PM Post #16 of 44
oh, aimee mann as well. and of course the indigo girls, who hit big around the time of tracy chapman!

May 2, 2005 at 5:24 PM Post #18 of 44
Aimee mann has an incredible voice IMHO.

Tuck & Patty are very popular in car audio circles. Havent heard any of their stuff on headphones yet though.

Garrett

May 2, 2005 at 8:08 PM Post #20 of 44
I also support Jahn's recommendation for Ani DiFranco. You will find that her best albums are, Puddle Dive, Not a pretty Girl and also I must recommend her latest release, Knuckle Down. I am familiar with the sound engineers that worked on the project and it very well may be one of the best Ani DiFranco recordings yet.

Cheers,
iDesign

May 2, 2005 at 9:16 PM Post #22 of 44
Oh yeah, Michelle Shocked - "Come A Long Way" is an amazing song.

May 3, 2005 at 3:17 PM Post #23 of 44
I'll second Grawk's vote for Cowboy Junkies. When my wife gave birth to our one year old, we played the "trinity session" in the background most of the time. What a great (?) memory.

Anyone remember Suzanne Vega? I'd recommend her, even if her songs can be hit and miss. I think "Solitude Standing" is worth buying just for "Gypsy". I always had a crush on her.

May 3, 2005 at 4:38 PM Post #24 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vicious Tyrant
Anyone remember Suzanne Vega? I'd recommend her, even if her songs can be hit and miss. I think "Solitude Standing" is worth buying just for "Gypsy". I always had a crush on her.

Ah yes, Suzanne Vega. I was able to play and sing "Gypsy" on my acoustic guitar a few years back. Too busy with work now, but one day I'll get back into it.

Thx everyone for the recommendations !!!

May 3, 2005 at 6:28 PM Post #25 of 44
Martha Wainwright - Alternative Rock - I like her much better than her brother Rufus.

Kate Rusby - UK folk music!

Gillian Welch - Soul Journey - I've started listening to a lot more Country/Folk music after getting my K501s (more Folk than Country, I'm not a fan of the Shania style pop-country). If you like Tracy Chapman, I think you'll also like Lucinda Williams. And once we get into country, I LOVE the Allison Krauss Live album
smily_headphones1.gif

May 3, 2005 at 7:11 PM Post #27 of 44
Madeline Peyroux

Cowboy Junkies

Mazzy Star

May 3, 2005 at 7:29 PM Post #28 of 44
Everything But the Girl. Their older stuff will be more acoustic and you can move forward to their more recent releases for the electronica beats.

Otherwise, not quite acoustical...but Dido is another female singer I enjoy.

May 4, 2005 at 5:49 AM Post #29 of 44
One more vote for Cowboy Junkies! The Trinity Session is awesome!!! I also have One Soul Now and 'Neath Your Covers, Pt. 1, both of which I'd highly recommend.

BTW, for some awesome acoustic guitar music check out Jesse Cook.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back