Please recommend earphones - Bose IE, Super fi 5 EB's .. anything else???
Aug 1, 2007 at 12:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

momentary_lapse

Head-Fier
Hi,

I have been using the UE super fi. 3 for the past one year. I used the shure e2c for a month before that and found them uncomfortable which is why I switched. The minute I put on the sf3, I immediately thought "where's the bass go?"

However the clarity was so awesome that I kept them.

Two days ago I went to Best BUy and bough the Bose Triport IE's. Just on a whim.

I tried them with my Ipod and my laptop music and I have to say that the Bose sound much warmer and bassier than the super fi3. However I also miss the clarity of the super fi's in certain songs.

Above all this, I see that the Bose sound good with most music but with certain songs they dont sound good at all .. almost like a cheap set of earphones.. i tried them with all ear tips on all songs. i left them to burn in for about 20 hours full volume but havent felt a difference yet.

Im thinking of returning them and getting the super fi 5 EB's. i like the idea of the bass in the bose .. music is much warmer.. but i miss the clarity of the super fi's. The super fi's sound almost unnatural because of their clarity without the bass.

Does anyone know whether the super fi EB's are good? Maybe the dual drivers help with bass and treble? I do like bass but dont want to forgo the clarity.

Please help. Thanks in advance.
mlapse

Aug 1, 2007 at 1:02 AM Post #2 of 22
You will probably receive many, many recommendations of the Future Sonics Atrio M5, or the Mylarones. Might as well start your thread searches now. Bass and clarity is not an impossible request ... but so many 'phones offer one over the other. Seriously, look up the Future Sonics and Mylarones. (Also, the "EB" version of the superfi's supposedly produces more bass than even many self-proclaimed "bassheads" like. You're already familiar with the form factor, so look into the non-EB version of the UE's.)

Aug 1, 2007 at 1:51 AM Post #3 of 22
Thanks a lot LaBreaHead.
Wow! I didnt even know about the Future Sonics.. They seem great..
However I dont want to spend $200 on the earphones. The maximum I want to go to is $150. I saw the FS1's from Future Sonics. DO you know anything about them?

The mylar one seems to be less bassy from the review i read.

Aug 1, 2007 at 3:09 AM Post #4 of 22
You can get the Future Sonics Atrio M5s from Roaddogonline for $130 on fleabay. Make him an offer for this amount and he should accept. As has been mentioned previously the bass on the M5s is in a different class to the S/Fi EBs (I've got the M5s but have also tried the EBs and found the bass on them just muddied over everything else in the music) From what you've said it sounds like the Atrios might be to you're liking. Good luck in your search whatever you choose.

Aug 1, 2007 at 4:13 AM Post #5 of 22
Thanks subfocus.. I sent them an email quoting $130. waiting for them to get back to me.. i havent seen as many reviews of the M5 vs the super fi..

I like warm sounding music.. i felt the super fi 3's were very .. analytical .. maybe..

i like bass a lot .. basically i want warm sounding music with the option to have the bass rock me when i like... but after hearing the clarity of the super fi's i want that too
smily_headphones1.gif
.. do the M5's meet both criteria?

what about the bose? they are super comfortable but i have to crank the volume on my ipod to max to hear the music propoerly.. also they dont seem to produce the fullness of sound all around as compared to the shure and the super fi's.

Aug 1, 2007 at 4:18 AM Post #6 of 22
I don't believe the M5s will disappoint. I got mine on ebay via Roaddog and have never looked back. Tip-wise, the FS large foamies, the Shure black olives or the Comply regulars are all good choices. Great, tight, smooth bass, enough detail for most tastes. I got rid of my Ety ER4Ps for the Atrios. They are the best value at $130.

Aug 1, 2007 at 4:21 AM Post #7 of 22
Oddly, someone gave me a pair of the Bose IEMs, and I don't hate them as much as I thought I would. I have to EQ them on the highs, but overall not as bad as I expected. I have those new tips with them, and as a freebie, worth it. I would not pay $100 for them. Maybe $39.

Quote:

Originally Posted by momentary_lapse /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks subfocus.. I sent them an email quoting $130. waiting for them to get back to me.. i havent seen as many reviews of the M5 vs the super fi..

I like warm sounding music.. i felt the super fi 3's were very .. analytical .. maybe..

i like bass a lot .. basically i want warm sounding music with the option to have the bass rock me when i like... but after hearing the clarity of the super fi's i want that too
smily_headphones1.gif
.. do the M5's meet both criteria?

what about the bose? they are super comfortable but i have to crank the volume on my ipod to max to hear the music propoerly.. also they dont seem to produce the fullness of sound all around as compared to the shure and the super fi's.

Aug 1, 2007 at 4:37 AM Post #9 of 22
hey tstarn06... about the bose.. dont u think they are too muted.. i cant seem to get decent volume from the ipod with them.. ive tried all three tips.. maybe its the volume i put them on the ipod at..

Ive just uncapped the volume limit on my ipod and will test these out again.. but see i like the bass on the bose.. u think the M5's will match it?

Aug 1, 2007 at 6:27 AM Post #10 of 22
Super fi 5 EB are tops...I think there is a personal element to this and also I like bass...The clarity is very acceptable to me. I am thinking of getting the SF 5 Pro however as they have had good reviews here and I am interested. I don't think the bass is as heavy though...

Aug 1, 2007 at 6:35 AM Post #11 of 22
i've had the bose and now i have the M5's. i thought the bass was pretty good in the bose but the M5's definitely beat it. there's more impact and more precise. and the rest of the music is actually there too when the bose kinda covered up everything else. there just wasn't any clarity in the higher end. i'm definitely happy with my M5's. i think these will last me until i become rich and have money coming out of my butt to buy better ones.

Aug 1, 2007 at 7:05 AM Post #12 of 22
thanks to michaelbe3 and drifting bunnies..

I took the bose to the gym today and the first thing i noticed while jogging was that they didnt even budge .. not out of place at all.. hardly ever happens with the super fi's. the super fi's come loose .. and the comfort of the bose was HUGE.. i didnt even notice they were there..

i also set my ipod to treble boost and boy .. was it good!!

driftingbunnies, i think your post really helps.. just want to know whether the M5's stay in place while gymming, walking, jogging etc.. i hate it when i have to keep adjusting them ..
frown.gif

also is the sound as warm as the bose?

i recently bought the bose acoustimass.. i dont know what it is about bose. .i spent a month trying all other speakers.. went to fry;s almost every day. i would try polk, harmon kardon and the others each day and then go to the bose.. then go back to the polk etc.. but no matter how hard i tried to not like the bose.. primarily becoz of the cost.. i just couldnt help liking it more..

exactly the same thing seems to be happening here.. im trying hard to find something better.. but all round the bose seems to be winning. .

so looks like i basically have to choose between the M5's and the bose and the EB's.. can someone who has tried all three tell me what they liked.. in terms of:

1) warmth of sound
2) bass
3) comfort
4) staying in place factor

thanks in advance and sorry for asking so many questions.. i really want to be sure before i drop $150 on phones

Aug 1, 2007 at 3:11 PM Post #13 of 22
the sound for the M5 is definitely fun and keeps my feet tapping. i'm not too sure about warmth for the bose though. as i recall it was just a lot of bass and you had to really listen hard to get more details from the other spectrum. i guess maybe if you EQ'd it it would sound better, but what does that tell you about the earphones?

exercising should be ok with the M5 as long as you have a tip that fits. i would recommend getting foams also so that you could try all different kinds to get the perfect seal. foams as in the shure olives and comply tips as mentioned above.

The thing is, bose really pays attention to comfort so most of the earphones/headphones are pretty comfortable. the only thing that really bothered me is how easily the silicon tips would fall out so easily. i've only had the M5's for about a month so it takes me a few times to get a really nice fit because i was too cheap to buy shure olives :p but i don't mind the bi-flanges that come with it.

another thing with the bose sound, i don't really hear anything that i didn't hear in my regular earbuds that come with mp3 players. the bose only makes the bass more apparent and colors the sound making it "seem" that it's more real. the M5 definitely gives more detail and clarity that i've never heard from IEM's before. i had the E3g's before the M5 which i thought had great clarity but the bass and fun factor was definitely lacking.

Aug 1, 2007 at 11:49 PM Post #14 of 22
thanks driftingbunnies.

what do you mean by colors the sound? just by making the bass more apparent , does it make the sound seem real? do you know why?

the strange thing i find about bose is that some music , particularly those which have high highs and low lows sound great on the bose but the others dont.. they sound pretty bad.. thats something i dont like about the bose..

i just ordered a pair of the M5's. cant wait to put them on.

does anyone know how to sell a pair of super fi 3's .. ?

Aug 2, 2007 at 12:20 AM Post #15 of 22
Congrats on your purchase momentary lapse . I would suggest having a good scan of the main Atrios thread , (if you haven't done so already of course) .There's some helpful stuff in there about getting a decent fit and users experiences of the sound improving after 'burn-in' time. Enjoy your music
580smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back