Please recommend CD player for my setup
Mar 29, 2009 at 4:28 PM Post #16 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by earwicker7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think he's going to be able to get an Akurate for $5k. Otherwise, great recommendation (I may be a bit biased since I own one).

You are right. I was thinking in Euros.

Apr 14, 2009 at 1:11 AM Post #17 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by obobskivich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
when you say clicks, do you mean in the audio output, or noise like a tape deck makes when its engaging or cycling? (clicks = not a word I want to hear in the same thread as "$5k CD player"
frown.gif
)

The "clicks" were not in the audio output. They were coming from the transport itself -- they were "sort of" like one might hear from a tape deck but otherwise somewhat hard to describe unless you actually heard them. They were not loud - could be described as "muffled" or "soft" clicks - but nevertheless audible enough to be annoying (especially knowing how much the player cost). They were definitely audible standing right next to the machine and about 10 ft away, I was aware of them during very quiet passages in the music. Now granted that I'm describing a machine that I had about 3 years ago, it's possible that a newer transport is being used that doesn't have this issue.

Apr 14, 2009 at 9:13 PM Post #18 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by twsmith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The "clicks" were not in the audio output. They were coming from the transport itself -- they were "sort of" like one might hear from a tape deck but otherwise somewhat hard to describe unless you actually heard them. They were not loud - could be described as "muffled" or "soft" clicks - but nevertheless audible enough to be annoying (especially knowing how much the player cost). They were definitely audible standing right next to the machine and about 10 ft away, I was aware of them during very quiet passages in the music. Now granted that I'm describing a machine that I had about 3 years ago, it's possible that a newer transport is being used that doesn't have this issue.

Something similar happened to my CD player; it turned out that the CD itself had a center hole that was substantially off-center. It only did it on that one particular CD.

Apr 14, 2009 at 9:45 PM Post #19 of 25
FWIW, I didn't care for the Ayre 7eMP. The new minimum phase filter deal is a bit odd-sounding to my ears.

And yes, the transport is about as cheap-feeling,- looking, and -sounding as they come. I understand Ayre's rationale for using the drive that they use, but they just have to find a better solution at the prices that they charge.

As others have said, I think the choice of a CD player comes down to A) ruthless neutrality, or, as I have with the Marantz SA11S2, a B) mellower smoothing. The former makes bad CDs less listenable and audiophile-grade CDs spectacular. The latter makes bad CDs (think most pop and rock) listenable but takes some of the astonishment out of audiophile CDs.

You win some, you lose some. You gotta pick which philosophy to follow.

Apr 15, 2009 at 3:50 AM Post #20 of 25
C5-xe used is an excellent choice. It sounds great using the XLR output and you can have it upgrade to MP if you want. It also doesn't hurt to have that piece of mind that if something breaks, Ayre will most likely fix it at cost even outside the warranty.

Apr 29, 2009 at 2:28 PM Post #21 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnylexus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am using Cary 300SEI amplifier with GS1000's and Ultrasone Edition 9's right now. I want to upgrade my source to something really awesome. I mean really awesome. I don't have $10K to spend, but I might be able to rationalize $5K. Two sources that have caught my eye are the Esoteric X-03 and the Ayre C-5xe players .... they get strong reviews and I would like to be able to play SACD.

I look forward to your suggestions!

Marantz SA11S2 or a SA7S1 on sale. Hey it's possible in this economy. And the nice thing about these Marantz machines is they are available from online etailers with 30 day return policy so plenty of time to audition. I own the Sa11S1 and the SA7S1 is only marginally better sounding and only in the right system.

Jun 19, 2009 at 5:41 AM Post #23 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by brat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sometimes we expect from high end components to be "smooth" and "analog" sounding. The Cary is pretty neutral player. Many pop recordings sound bright but the more audiophile CDs and SACDs are just amazing on it. I tend to blame the record companies and prefer the neutral sound instead of artificial smoothness which compensates the native brightness of some CDs. Of course it's my opinion!
o2smile.gif

P.S. I've listened to Meridian G08 just once.

the G08 is more forgiving. that is, it sounds better on worse recordings than the 306. i was very content with the G08 but listen to a lot of classical and wanted to explore the sacd format. the 306 is my primary player now. i use the G08 for meets. but i am able to listen to fewer cds with the 306, because poorer recordings stand out more as being poor. i haven't done any extensive comparisons between the two. i should do that sometime.

Jun 20, 2009 at 2:05 AM Post #25 of 25
If you would like the sacd option then the Marantz sa11version 2 could go xlr direct to your amp and digital out to Empirical Pace car reclocker then to any number of dac's for stunning sound. I have found the dac outside option sound better playing redbook than sacd direct. You would stay below 5k and have so many options.

Shade.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back