Please recommend CD player for my setup
Mar 26, 2009 at 5:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

johnnylexus

500+ Head-Fier
I am using Cary 300SEI amplifier with GS1000's and Ultrasone Edition 9's right now. I want to upgrade my source to something really awesome. I mean really awesome. I don't have $10K to spend, but I might be able to rationalize $5K. Two sources that have caught my eye are the Esoteric X-03 and the Ayre C-5xe players .... they get strong reviews and I would like to be able to play SACD.

I look forward to your suggestions!

Mar 27, 2009 at 1:21 AM Post #2 of 25
You would have to find one used to keep in your price range, but the best CD/SACD player I have heard ("for the money" and in general) is the Cary 306 Professional CD/SACD. I think Moon Audio may have a demo on sale (full warranty) for about $5700. I have compared it to an Audio Research Reference CD7 (which is an absolute top flight CDP for about $9000 when new), and I liked the Cary for its clarity, its amazing amounts of detail, spacious layered soundstage, and NO listener fatigue. Built like a tank and cool cosmetics.

Good luck in the hunt.

Mar 27, 2009 at 7:54 AM Post #3 of 25
McIntosh SCD301 or SCD501? (haven't heard the 501, as its new, the 301 is grand imho)

would at least be worth testing out

and one that I haven't heard, but that looks quite interesting is the Musical Fidelity A1008, "switchable tube and transistor output", no idea what that really does for you (in terms of, if you're interested in something like that), but looks "cool", would also be worth a test imho

Mar 27, 2009 at 9:58 AM Post #4 of 25
LINN AKURATE (multichannel) or LINN MAJIK

Mar 27, 2009 at 1:40 PM Post #5 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnylexus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am using Cary 300SEI amplifier with GS1000's and Ultrasone Edition 9's right now. I want to upgrade my source to something really awesome. I mean really awesome. I don't have $10K to spend, but I might be able to rationalize $5K. Two sources that have caught my eye are the Esoteric X-03 and the Ayre C-5xe players .... they get strong reviews and I would like to be able to play SACD.

I look forward to your suggestions!

For what it's worth, I had an Ayre C5xe a few years ago but ended up selling it. For me it was a little too laid back and "polite" and the transport seemed a little cheaply made (especially for a $5K player) and made slightly audible and irritating clicks. Perhaps this is not an issue with newer models, though.

Mar 27, 2009 at 1:49 PM Post #6 of 25
For two weeks I have Cary 306 SACD. Very clear, tight, natural sound, great focus and AMAZING dynamic range!
And SACD playback is... sublime.
o2smile.gif
o2smile.gif

Mar 27, 2009 at 5:01 PM Post #7 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by twsmith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For what it's worth, I had an Ayre C5xe a few years ago but ended up selling it. For me it was a little too laid back and "polite" and the transport seemed a little cheaply made (especially for a $5K player) and made slightly audible and irritating clicks. Perhaps this is not an issue with newer models, though.

when you say clicks, do you mean in the audio output, or noise like a tape deck makes when its engaging or cycling? (clicks = not a word I want to hear in the same thread as "$5k CD player"
frown.gif
)

Mar 28, 2009 at 6:20 PM Post #9 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Artmon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
LINN AKURATE (multichannel) or LINN MAJIK

I don't think he's going to be able to get an Akurate for $5k. Otherwise, great recommendation (I may be a bit biased since I own one).

Mar 28, 2009 at 8:47 PM Post #11 of 25
the 306 is nice but a bit forward and sometimes even bright (may just be the recording though). my meridian has a smoother, although seemingly more colored, sound.

Mar 28, 2009 at 8:56 PM Post #12 of 25
for that money I would get any of the Exemplar modded Denon cd players, some of the best sound I have heard for $1400 for the modded 2900 model. I also really like the Ayre stuff as well, not a huge fan of either the Cary or current Meridian stuff.

Mar 29, 2009 at 8:20 AM Post #14 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the 306 is nice but a bit forward and sometimes even bright (may just be the recording though). my meridian has a smoother, although seemingly more colored, sound.

Sometimes we expect from high end components to be "smooth" and "analog" sounding. The Cary is pretty neutral player. Many pop recordings sound bright but the more audiophile CDs and SACDs are just amazing on it. I tend to blame the record companies and prefer the neutral sound instead of artificial smoothness which compensates the native brightness of some CDs.
Of course it's my opinion!
o2smile.gif

P.S. I've listened to Meridian G08 just once.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back