takezo

1000+ Head-Fier
my favourite instrument is the double bass and love
the way it's played by eddie gomez, lafaro, mcbride,
and gary peac*ck. which head sets convey this
kind of bass playing best on cd? i love definition and precision
over boomy sounds. thanks in advance.

Dec 27, 2006 at 11:37 AM Post #2 of 19
Beyerdynamid DT880 perhaps? Very flat but deep reaching bass. Perhaps too flat, might lack some spirit and life in bass region.

Dec 27, 2006 at 1:24 PM Post #3 of 19
Beyerdynamic DT-770s were specifically designed for monitoring drums, so they are designed to have very strong, quick bass.

Dec 27, 2006 at 1:45 PM Post #4 of 19
Ultrasone PROline750 and (my personal favourite) JVC/HP DX1000.
The Ultrasone bass is easier to control with a decent amp. It can be echoing sometimes (but not in my experience with a (solo or lead) bass). It is very deep though, and when it is good it is very good. (The 2500 (open model) are reported not to have this problem, but I have not heard them).
The JVC woodies give you the deepest, richest, most detailed bass you can imagine if amped well. I use a Corda Prehead, there may be other amps that will do the trick, but they are not easy to find.
The Sennheiser HD650 is very good too, but it trails by a large margin behind the above mentioned.
All according to my personal preference of course.

Dec 27, 2006 at 1:49 PM Post #5 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iceroid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Beyerdynamic DT-770s were specifically designed for monitoring drums, so they are designed to have very strong, quick bass.

VERY strong, but also borders boomy.

But the ultrasone PROLine 750 which Kees is recommendING seems interesting option. Here is small review comparing ultrasone headphones to DT770.
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=87940

*edit* stupid typo fix

Dec 27, 2006 at 2:00 PM Post #6 of 19
If you want to hear the strings being plucked and hear the notes (rather than feel the notes) then Grado's are for you, especially the woodies.

Dec 27, 2006 at 2:20 PM Post #7 of 19
just to add, I'm a fan of the above bassists!

Dec 27, 2006 at 2:27 PM Post #8 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by tonym /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you want to hear the strings being plucked and hear the notes (rather than feel the notes) then Grado's are for you, especially the woodies.

that's an interesting take...what do you mean by "feeling" vs "hearing" precisely.
are you equating boomy thumping bass to "feeling" ? and spine chilling texture and tight resonance with "hearing" ?

forgot to mention, i have a budget of up to $600.

thanks to the others as well for their input. i've heard the beyers are one of the bests but haven't tried one yet. i currently have the senn 580, 600 and audio technica ath-w1000.

Dec 27, 2006 at 2:56 PM Post #9 of 19
Well as you know being a fan of the above, their attack on the strings varies immensly, Lafaro to Charlie Haden for example, there's a huge difference in playing style that goes way beyond choice of notes and 'how big' the sound is.
To hear the nuances and tonal qualities of each note and the way the strings are plucked and released, Grados have my vote.

Dec 27, 2006 at 3:00 PM Post #10 of 19
But the problem with Grados is the bass extension. It drops thin fast, unless flat pads are used which then again makes bass textureless boom. (though my main experience is with plastic Grados only)

Dec 27, 2006 at 3:04 PM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But the problem with Grados is the bass extension. It drops thin fast, unless flat pads are used which then again makes bass textureless boom. (though my main experience is with plastic Grados only)

Yes you are correct there, granted this was from listening to the iPod with SR60's. I found the 'quality' was there but like you said, the extension of the notes wasn't as noticible.

Dec 27, 2006 at 3:41 PM Post #12 of 19
Hey don't forget Chuck Israels!!

biggrin.gif

Dec 27, 2006 at 4:00 PM Post #13 of 19
Beyerdynamic DT-990 Pro with a decent amp.

Just my 2p

Dec 27, 2006 at 4:03 PM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I would recommend The GS-1000 or the PS-1. Or Senn HD600. I agree with the above comment in regards to the RS series Grados.

Dec 27, 2006 at 4:10 PM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would recommend The GS-1000 or the PS-1. Or Senn HD600. I agree with the above comment in regards to the RS series Grados.

GS1000 and PS1 are way above his budget, and he already has HD600.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back