please recommend best grados for PORTABLE use...
Oct 13, 2007 at 6:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

ankst

New Head-Fier
hi,

i'm after some grado or alessandros for use with a Cowon iAudio D2 portable media/mp3 player. mainly for commuting between home and university via train.
won't be using an amp as i don't want another thing to try and squeeze into my pocket.
Code:

Code:
[left][u][b]D2 specs[/b][/u] SNR: 95dB (A-Weighted) Frequency Range: 20Hz~20KHz Max Output: 16 Ohm earphone : 37mW + 37mW[/left]

majority of my music is in high VBR mp3 and ogg format.
i've ruled out the iGrado and SR60.
it's out of Grado SR80/SR125/SR225 and Alessandro MS1/MS2(i) - which ones would be best?

am i right in saying the Alessandro's are more neutral and analytical while the Grados are more bright and colourful? i'm assuming the Grados are warmer?

how would the D2 player go with powering these headphones?
i'm also a little worried about outside sound leaking in especially while on the train, will i be able to listen comfortably without needing to increase the volume to a deafening level?

thanks for any help/advice
cool.gif

Oct 13, 2007 at 6:35 AM Post #2 of 30
Umm... I love grados as much as the next person (well maybe not quite that much, but do love them) but there's no way I'd ever, ever recommend using them on a train (or in any noisy environment, for that matter). However, if you do have to have a pair I'd say go with SR125 or MS2, depending on how much you're willing to spend.

Oct 13, 2007 at 7:18 AM Post #3 of 30
On the train? No way would I wear Grados on the train. They will let any and every sound right in. To block out noise, I would get some IEMs or closed headphones -- not sure what to recommend you there, other people will be much more suited for that.

Another thing about the Grados is, well, I'm not sure they're the type of headphone you want to throw around for portable use. I'm sure people do it, but I wouldn't want to. The Grado SR80s are very nice coming straight out of a portable -- I do this at work with an iPhone and it's fantastic. However, that is a very quiet environment and I hardly ever transport them.

Oct 13, 2007 at 7:35 AM Post #4 of 30
any reason to rule out igrado? (only viable portable grado IMO)

but, train/noise = nono

try a similar sounding IEM instead.. maybe the d-jays?

Oct 13, 2007 at 7:52 AM Post #5 of 30
nah i want headphones, i'm used to using sennheisers like the HD580 and cheaper ones like the HD202.

i don't want the in ear style headphones, even though i know there better far better for outdoor listening, i'll be listening to em at home to but i'm after some style here.

surely people use grados with their mp3 players travelling etc.

Oct 13, 2007 at 9:32 AM Post #6 of 30
SR-60?
- Don't need an amp.
- Cheap
- Grado Sound
- Style points! Yay.
rolleyes.gif

I have some MS1's and I don't see how you'd be able to use and enjoy them outside of home use. My cable is about 6 feet long, impractical for your pocket.

Oct 13, 2007 at 2:58 PM Post #8 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by goldenratiophi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
People use Grados on travel, but not during actual plane/train rides. Seriously, there is WAY too much noise on trains for you to safely be able to listen. If you don't like in-ears, maybe get a pair of closed headphones?

X2, plus not only will you hear the noise but you will bother the people around you if you try to drown the train noise. BTW if you drown the train noise the volume will be so loud your ears will suffer. IEM's are the best solution IMO.

Oct 13, 2007 at 5:04 PM Post #10 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
X2, plus not only will you hear the noise but you will bother the people around you if you try to drown the train noise. BTW if you drown the train noise the volume will be so loud your ears will suffer. IEM's are the best solution IMO.

X3. I have a pair of MS1 and they are great headphones, but they would be completely wasted on a train. You would have to turn them up so loud that not only will it disturb the people next to you but also damage your hearing. Also, as others have mentioned the cord is so freaking long and thick that you'd probably trip yourself (or someone else) to death.

Oct 13, 2007 at 5:10 PM Post #11 of 30
Why would you insist on an open phone like Grados for the train? Everyone has given you the answer. Do what you want.

If you have to have over the ear phones for some reason, a closed phone like Beyer 231 and Senn HP-25 would be much better.

Oct 13, 2007 at 7:39 PM Post #12 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by tman1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why would you insist on an open phone like Grados for the train? Everyone has given you the answer. Do what you want.

If you have to have over the ear phones for some reason, a closed phone like Beyer 231 and Senn HP-25 would be much better.

x2, there are a number of good closed headphone options out there-- I'd give those a look. If you want to go with the Grados anyway, it's your choice, we're just trying to save your ears so you don't look like this all the time
basshead.gif

Oct 13, 2007 at 8:04 PM Post #13 of 30
I live in New York City and wear my SR325i's on the subway. I try to stand away from people who look likely to complain
smily_headphones1.gif
Had somebody gripe on an elevator the other day and I told them to ____ off! I am a New Yorker after all.

Oct 13, 2007 at 8:10 PM Post #14 of 30
Typical new yorker... Hey so the I grados are by far the most portable of the grados, but as a lot of people are saying here, the grados arent the best use for this application. You dont want IEMs or an ECH? thats fine. But I would strongly consider a good closed foldup design like the k81dj

Users who are viewing this thread

Back