please recommend best grados for PORTABLE use...
Oct 13, 2007 at 9:57 PM Post #16 of 30
thanks for all the advice, i really don't think the trains are all that loud here in melbourne as they are in busy cities like new york. btw i used to go everywhere with my senn HD580 without problem.

i just really wanted a pair of grados
frown.gif
had my heart set on them.

maybe i'll look into some decent closed phones, any further recommendations for closed upto about $250?

Oct 13, 2007 at 11:03 PM Post #17 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by ankst /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thanks for all the advice, i really don't think the trains are all that loud here in melbourne as they are in busy cities like new york. btw i used to go everywhere with my senn HD580 without problem.

frown.gif

maybe i'll look into some decent closed phones, any further recommendations for closed upto about $250?

The trains in Melbourne are fairly quiet. I could listen with MX450s without having to turn up the volume up.

Oct 13, 2007 at 11:27 PM Post #18 of 30
If you have $250 to spend, you can always get the SR80s for around $90 for home use followed up with some decent closed headphones with the remainder of the $250. The limited amount of trains we have here in Dallas are fairly quiet too, but still probably too loud to listen, and definitely too loud to be respectful of people sitting next to you.

Grados are fantastic phones -- my favorite out of the brands I've heard (Sennheisers are definitely close). I've had the SR80, SR125, and SR225, and additionally, heard the RS2 and RS1. Get the SR80s first. Keep them if you like the Grado sound.

Oct 14, 2007 at 12:59 AM Post #19 of 30
yeah fair point i probably don't want to go and buy two pairs of headphones though, rather one pair of decent ones that i can use while commuting.
now considering some closed circumaural, any recommendations?

Oct 14, 2007 at 2:32 AM Post #20 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by ankst /img/forum/go_quote.gif

frown.gif

to me, if ya have your heart set on getting some Grado's then I would go ahead and get them. to me it's hard to ease the heart of what I really want!

ya also want the Grado's for home use so test them out for portable use and see first hand for yourself how you like them for that situation. if ya do not then later on get something else for portable use and you will have the Grado's for home use. even sale the Grado's if ya have to.

the SR60 and 80's plus the MS1's are already terminated in 3.5mm. actually when ordering the MS1's ya have a choice between 3.5mm and 1/4". if the length of the cord on the Grado's ever become a problem ya could always have them reterminated with the cord at a shorter length.

finally got myself an iPod and soon I am gonna start modding me SR80's to use in portable situations. later when I am able to upgrade to RS1's or RS2's I am gonna mod me SR225's for portable use.

I myself do not like the IEM's that much. I also like the fact that sound leaks into the Grado's which allows me to hear whats going on in me surroundings. I do not want to be isolated from it and I am not gonna turn up the volume to drown it out. also at moderate listening levels(any louder and I would be pounding me ears) I do not feel that the Grado's leak out that much sound. someone standing there talking on their cellphone is much worse to me.

only thing you can do is buy some Grado's, use them in portable situations and see for yourself first hand just how you feel about it. your already open to the idea from first hand experience and it's also what ya really want, Grado's..

Oct 14, 2007 at 4:13 AM Post #21 of 30
I had MS-1's (want them back!
frown.gif
) and I have the HD580's. You can't even compare the amount of leakage between the two. The MS-1's leaked sound on a completely different level. Two to three times as bad. Just saying don't think they'll leak like the HD580's. HD580's don't let sound out that bad IMO, but the MS-1's definitely do. I just really can't see using Grados portably. I'm not sure what to tell you though. Go ahead and get some Grados if you want
rolleyes.gif

Oct 16, 2007 at 2:34 PM Post #22 of 30
I use igrados,senn pmx100, and sony ex71 for portable.
If its noisey,like in the city or on a train,i just switch to the ex71.

Also,the igrado is supposed to have the same driver as the sr60....but i dont see how that is possible because look at the comparison from the grado web site:

Photos courtesy of HeadRoom Corporation.

(Editors Choice)
iGrado

Features:
Vented diaphragm
UHPLC copper voice coil wire
UHPLC copper connecting cord
Behind the neck headband
=============================

SR60
Features:
Vented diaphragm
Non Resonant air chamber
Standard copper voice coil wire
Standard copper connecting cord
mini plug with 1/4" adaptor

=========================

SR325i

Features:
Vented diaphragm
Aluminum air chamber
UHPLC copper voice coil wire
UHPLC copper connecting cord

===============================

Ok,,so if you look at which ones have the UHPLC cord and voice coil, that starts from the 325i and goes up. The sr60,80,125,225, dont have both.

So whats that tell ya?
blink.gif

Oct 16, 2007 at 4:05 PM Post #23 of 30
The truth is... you are registered on this site... You will most likely move up the chain someday! So,.. I would recommend to get the SR325i. I got mine and love them. The problem with Grados is that they are open cans. But,... if you do the tape mod or simply glue the sides of the pads you will be able to block out a lot of outside noise. (But you will have to turn the volume up a bit)

Now my recommendatino for SR325i because the bass is great! (even better with tape-mod) and I think with the noise outside bass will get drown out easily with lower models which offer a bit weaker bass. I have taken my SR325i with my zune a few times... No amp yet since I am still waiting for Xin. Anyways... if you can,... first sample SR325i. As far as the high is concern it will settle after 300hrs of burn in... or with the tape mod, you should have no problem since this mod does kill the treble. Well,.. what ever your decision is... good luck!

Charlie

Oct 17, 2007 at 8:35 PM Post #24 of 30
Let me just start off by saying I love Grado's. It sounds like you do as well, because you obviously are sticking to your guns regardless of everyone telling you how ridiculous it is to use an open phone for portable. I'm the same way. My girlfriend bought me a pair of SR60's for Christmas a few years ago, and I loved them. They did let in a fair bit of sound, but they were tolerable. I also found them to be much more comfortable for commuting than anything in ear. It's just a feeling I don't like.

I recently had to replace the SR60's (long story why...) and was looking at moving up the Grado lineup a few notches. I auditioned everything in their lineup, and decided my money would be best spent on the SR325i's. The detail in the highs is absolutely amazing, it really blew me away. At the same time, they had more punch down low than I expected from a pair of grados, yet the bass was still tight and detailed, a totally faithful reproduction of how it was recorded, not exaggerated.

I use them for portable, I have them on at school right now, and there are a lot of people around talking, something I am very aware of. I would liken it to having a good pair of bookshelf speakers(B&W CM1 anybody?) playing in a busy room. You can hear the music, and it sounds damn good, but at the same time you can hear everything else that is going on in the room. The more you turn them up, the more it starts to drown out the noise, and remind you that you've got headphones on, not speakers. Sometimes it's nice to just have a little background music, rather than complete isolation from your surroundings.
rs1smile.gif

Oct 17, 2007 at 9:57 PM Post #25 of 30
I am a Grado fanboy myself, but found that it was hard to listen to the music I liked at work with any of the Grado's I had owned in the past. I eventually jumped ship to the Denon D2000 which are closed and found them to fit my needs. But eventually I had to let go of that rig for financial reasons. But I was stuck in a situation of still needing something decent to listen to music with while I was at work. I found the Denon AH-C700 IEMs to be a great replacement for the Grado's while at work. They are very forward sounding in the mids and highs like Grado's tend to be. And yet I could jam as loud as I wanted to anything I wanted to listen to at work and not disturb my co-workers in the same office. Just something for you to think about. If you do some searching around you can usually find a pair for around $120 even though they retail for $200. I managed to get mine on ebay for $112.00 shipped. I am extremely happy with them and their performance, even unamped on my 3G Nano.

Nov 5, 2007 at 5:28 AM Post #26 of 30
Yes - something else to consider is not just the noise coming in but the noise leaking out. If the train is quiet it might be fine for you but you will be annoying whoever is sitting next to you.

I used to use SR-60s portably and got a complaint on a train once, and have read others having the same experience. I would definitely not recommend them for portable use.

Nov 5, 2007 at 12:18 PM Post #27 of 30
My two penneth... I use my SR60s on the train at low volume. Doesn't cause me a problem at all. Yes I can hear outside noise BUT I don't mind that, I don't like being cut off from the world on a train, what if a maniac was sneaking up behind you!

Anyway, in summary, SR60s on a train = fine for me.

Nov 5, 2007 at 9:16 PM Post #28 of 30
I use the D2 in combination with my Grado SR-80s at the office, and I love the sound combo. I like using them in car, because I can hear traffic noise or when the family is talking. However, I personally wouldn't like to use them on a commute using public transport, because of isolation and the hassle of the long cord.

I prefer my (non-branded) Radio Shack closed headphones when I'm taking a walk, because it strikes the right balance between hearing my music and the outside world.

On planes and buses I much prefer the total isolation of IEMs. And besides, maniacs tend to avoid me.

Nov 6, 2007 at 4:10 AM Post #29 of 30
Old thread for advice on what to buy,and the OP prolly already got his Grados,and is blasting them over the noise on the train as we speak. I hope anyone that actually does that has a really great memory so they can remember what music used to sound like .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back