Please recommend an external USB 2.0 soundcard / DAC
Aug 19, 2011 at 1:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

TreeTribe

New Head-Fier
I have been a little confused, and as is the case with the wacky world of audio, the more you read, often times, the more confused you get.

Anyway, I am looking to basically bypass the rubbsih internal soundcard on my Lenovo Thinkpad and get something with half decent sound quality to connect via USB 2.0. I use the KRK Rokit 6 G2's and do a fair amount of lossless playback and monitoring. I do not connect external instruments or do much recording of live music, etc so I don't need too many inputs. My primary objective is to get better quality output.

My questions are:

1) Do I need a "USB Interface" or a "USB DAC" or are they both the same?
2) How is the Focusrite Scarlett 8i6 as a choice for my objective of better quality playback ?
3) Any other suggestions under US$ 350 ?

Hoping for some suggestions/advice from the more experienced folk here... studio engineers, electronic musicians welcome!...
wink_face.gif

Aug 19, 2011 at 2:14 AM Post #2 of 26
Interface (whether USB or FireWire) is a term for a device that has a DAC, ADC, and ports for instruments. Usually has a headphone port as well. It's for recording...for your purposes, you want to be looking for a pure DAC as far as possible.

No clue how good the FocusRite is, although it seems like a good brand from what I can tell of a few friends using its products.

Aug 19, 2011 at 6:17 AM Post #4 of 26
What are the formats of the content you listen to? Are they Redbook compliant or above it, as in high resolution audio like 24/96, for instance?

And considering you set your budget to $350 max, I wouldn't go around things that cost $50 or less.

Aug 19, 2011 at 6:23 AM Post #5 of 26
hi, i listen to lossless audio (flac and wav mostly). I also record some mixes once in a while with these lossless files.

yes i'm not going to consider anything cheap, since QUALITY is paramount here.

Aug 19, 2011 at 6:30 AM Post #6 of 26
Well, going to a price point that's already above entry level, you have things like E-MU 0204, Audinst HUD-MX1, Musiland Monitor 02, iBasso D6, among many others. Keep in mind that E-MU 0204 and Musiland Monitor 02 are standalone DACs, while Audinst HUD-MX1 and iBasso D6 are DAC/Amp combos.

Curiously, E-MU 0204 happens to be the least expensive of the one I mentioned, yet it's the unit with the best measurements, even though measurements should be taken with a pinch of salt :)

Aug 19, 2011 at 6:33 AM Post #7 of 26
Thanks vm for your reply... What would you recommend considering I am connected to a pair of KRK Rokit 6's. DAC or Amp+DAC?

Also any thoughts on the Focusrite equipment I have my eye on?

Aug 19, 2011 at 6:36 AM Post #8 of 26
also, i would like to add that so far my experience with the KRK's is that the bass is a little muddy and it is tough to tell minor variations in the lows sometimes....

this maybe important when choosing a DAC i presume!

Aug 19, 2011 at 7:00 AM Post #9 of 26
Focusrite interfaces are of good quality, and like most pro audio gear, they tend to be as neutral as possible. Though, I'm not familiar with that exact model. But you should ask yourself if you will give use to all the connectivity it has, because if you don't, then you will be paying for features you're not using, money that could go to higher quality components.

Aug 19, 2011 at 7:07 AM Post #10 of 26
Sound advice.  I don't think I will be using half the inputs and outputs on that Focusrite bit of kit. 

More reading to be done........
eek.gif

Aug 19, 2011 at 7:23 AM Post #11 of 26
If you get an interface, chances are it'll come with line outs, which you can hook up to the KRK's. This will bypass the amp of the interface entirely. Also, the M50 isn't really in need of amping, so that reduces the need for a DAC or interface with a great headphone amp section.

One thing about RP6 (speaking as an RP5 gen 1 user) is that you'll need separate LR mono outputs from your DAC. Interfaces are, I think, more likely to have this feature. Sth to keep in mind ya?

Aug 19, 2011 at 7:31 PM Post #12 of 26

Quote:
hi, i listen to lossless audio (flac and wav mostly). I also record some mixes once in a while with these lossless files.

yes i'm not going to consider anything cheap, since QUALITY is paramount here.

Wow that's weird, how does Roller know the Asus Xonar U3 is cheap quality if he's never even used it?

Aug 19, 2011 at 8:04 PM Post #13 of 26

Quote:
Wow that's weird, how does Roller know the Asus Xonar U3 is cheap quality if he's never even used it?

Please share your insight and your recommendation of $50 hardware that's as good as $300. Do you personally find that U3 dongle to be a giant killer?

Aug 19, 2011 at 10:09 PM Post #14 of 26

Quote:

Please share your insight and your recommendation of $50 hardware that's as good as $300. Do you personally find that U3 dongle to be a giant killer?

I make no claim that the Xonar U3 is good as any $300 device, I do not not believe the Xonar U3 is a good as any $150 device.
But if a few people figure out that a $40 device will do the job for them and do not really need to spend $300 to get the job done, I've saved someone $260.
No one forced to go with my opinion, I hope they read everyones opinion, then do what they feel will work for them.

Aug 19, 2011 at 10:14 PM Post #15 of 26

Quote:
I make no claim that the Xonar U3 is good as any $300 device, I do not not believe the Xonar U3 is a good as any $150 device.
But if a few people figure out that a $40 device will do the job for them and do not really need to spend $300 to get the job done, I've saved someone $260.
No one forced to go with my opinion, I hope they read everyones opinion, then do what they feel will work for them.

Ah ok, that's what you meant, and that's most certainly true.

About the OP's request, it ends up with finding his point where diminishing returns hit, given the budget, that being mainly the reason why I recommended other products.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back