Please recommend a budget amp and a dac to get the best out of HD6XX
Jun 3, 2020 at 8:16 AM Post #2 of 6
It depends on what you consider budget...

I really like the HD6XX driven by the Atom and also by the MCTH, both are pretty budget level amplifiers. As far as DACs to feed them, there are a selection of DACs around $100 that would work well.

Maybe a Modi + Heresy stack? That would give you some great sound from the HD6XX.

However, "the best sound from" is very subjective. On one hand you have personal preferences in sound and on the other hand you have the fact that people "accuse" the HD6XX of scaling infinitely.

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2020 at 11:42 AM Post #3 of 6
I'm one of the guys who feels the HD 600 and friends scale to the point it's almost impossible to throw too much amp at them. They are also happiest (in general) with tube OTL amps.

I would not recommend low-end schiit gear.

Jun 3, 2020 at 9:45 PM Post #6 of 6
I drive my HD6XX with a number of different setups and good results. In order of preference: 1) Schiit Asgard3/4490, 2) Schiit Magni3+/Modi3, 3) Schiit HEL, 4) iFi Nano iDSD. I guess you could really consider all of these to be "low-end" rigs but they all sound great to me. I still have all four of these setup in various locations and use them practically every day.

The Asgard3 with the internal DAC was the most expensive @ $299 + shipping whereas the others were all around $200.

I've read that the HD6XX really shine with an OTL tube amp - I think it was mentioned above in this thread. That will probably be my next upgrade although I'm not in a huge hurry at this point. I'm very happy with my current setup(s).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back