Please recommend a balanced amp for the GS1000
May 27, 2006 at 2:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

John2e

Headphoneus Supremus
Thinking of getting the new Grados with balanced black dragons. Can anyone recommend a balanced amp at a decent price that will in theory match well with the GS1K's

Thanks

May 27, 2006 at 3:10 PM Post #2 of 7
Please note: I have not yet heard a balanced amp.

With that said:

I can say with confidence that the GS-1ks sound wonderful with the Headamp GS-1. I prefer the way they sound through that amp more than through the fabled PPX3 SLAM. As such, I can make a pretty good guess that a Headamp GS-X would probably synergize very well with the GS-1ks. If I had the funds available and was able to afford going balanced, I would probably spring for the GS-X.

Of corse none of what I commented on matters because I haven't heard the balanced GS-1k/GS-X combo.

Perhaps someone who has heard the balanced GS-1k through the GS-X (seems unlikely at this point in the game) can give some better insight. But the way I see it the GS-X appears to be a winner as far as a balanced non-tube amp goes.

May 29, 2006 at 5:01 PM Post #6 of 7
Even though Headroom does not seem to regard the GS-1000 as the greatest thing since sliced bread, the GS-1000 (at least unbalanced) doesn't necesarily feel that way about Headroom.

I don't know about cost comparisons with other balanced amps. I don't know what you think is reasonable. On the basis of sound, you might consider the Headroom Balanced Home amp. The stepped attenuater is nice, but not necessary. The max modules are nice but so are the home modules. If you want to add a DAC, I suspect the max DAC modules are worth considering.

May 30, 2006 at 10:53 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by grandenigma1
The Headamp GSX or Balanced Reference (should you find one used) should do a fantastic job.

Also,something like a balanced SinglePower SLAM would be great.

biggrin.gif
I do have a balanced Gilmore Reference for sale, as part of selling my entire home setup and going strictly portable....

John2e,
At the risk of appearing biased, it is a GREAT amp and very cost-effective option to have balanced.

My sig has the link to the thread in For Sale forum, and I also included some quotes from a meet impressions thread where people talked about PS1 + Balanced Reference in particular.

Hope this helps and good luck in whatever you decide!

~Brian

Users who are viewing this thread

Back