Please post your HD temperatures.
Jun 25, 2005 at 7:10 PM Post #31 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by bundee1
Whats more effective in close proximity to the fan; exhausting hot air away or blowing cool air onto it?

Since fans are better at blowing (or rather emit air under a small angle only while drawing it in from almost a hemisphere when blowing freely, thus the air speeds are different), HDs can be cooled much better by fans blowing onto them. However, you have to keep overall case ventilation in mind, which shouldn't be messed up entirely by the fan. I achieved (overall) better results blowing out here - the PSU fan alone was too weak and blowing in just heated up the case and led to near-zero airflow around the secondary drive. Now enough air gets drawn in near the latter that it remains fairly cool, with the HD behind the fan running warmer but still plenty cool enough. A picture from last year:
pic_dua5.jpg

(The DVD burner sticks out because of the RAM slots behind. This case isn't huge and wasn't really constructed with boards like the P2B-D in mind. At least that one still fits - my ex-dream mo/bo, the Tyan Thunderbolt, wouldn't.)

BTW: Got a pic of your PC's interior? It's a bit hard to imagine where things are situated otherwise.

Jun 26, 2005 at 12:06 AM Post #32 of 53
Ill post one as soon as this my niece's kiddie party is over.

Jun 26, 2005 at 12:36 AM Post #33 of 53
Not sure how the specs have changed for the latest Seagates, but the 7200.7 and ATA V Barracudas were rated for up to 65 Celcius. Anywhere below 60 if fine.

My air cooled (slow fans) Barracudas are around the low 40's depending on the ambient temps.

My SmartDrive2002 encased 200gb Barracuda 7200.7 hovers in the low 50's in warmer weather. This with a single 120mm fan at 5V for the intake. No exhaust fans.

-Ed

Jun 26, 2005 at 12:17 PM Post #34 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
Not sure how the specs have changed for the latest Seagates, but the 7200.7 and ATA V Barracudas were rated for up to 65 Celcius.

'Cuda ATA V, 'Cuda 7200.7 up to 160 gigs, 'Cuda 7200.8: 0-60°C. 200 gig 'Cuda 7200.7: 5-55°C. That's what the datasheets say. It's not a bad idea to stay 10-15 K below the maximum temp. Old-style hard drives on the single-digit GB range could typically take pretty high temps but ever since the 10-20 GB per platter era I don't trust them beasts as much. The capacity explosion brought along too many models with only so-so or even bad reliability for my taste, including the infamous Deathstars and MPGs.

Jun 26, 2005 at 2:20 PM Post #35 of 53
Temps.jpg

@ OP - Some of my favorite 80mm fans are made by Masscool, formerly speeze. Newegg has them for 1.99/ea. + 4.99 shipping. They are fairly quiet and produce a wonderful amount of air. Another helpful tip would be to lose any grill/filter/restrictive plate in front of or behind the fan. Some of the worst cases I've seen have about 30 micro scopic holes arranged in a circle. Very little air moves through those itty bitties. Well, good luck!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kram Sacul
[size=x-small]...It's a computer, not a pet. You use it, not worry about it. If anything will overheat and blow up first it will be my P4 Prescott, which hovers around 50c most of the time.[/size]

Oh I beg to differ.
icon10.gif
Perhaps yours is just a computer, but mine is most definitely a pet. As for your cpu, try this.

Jun 26, 2005 at 5:06 PM Post #37 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jodiuh
icon10.gif
Perhaps yours is just a computer, but mine is most definitely a pet.

Maybe you could buy a hamster and it could live in your overcrowded fishtank.
icon10.gif

Jun 27, 2005 at 2:47 AM Post #38 of 53
OK I tried a few different configurations but this one seems to be working so far:

Case faceplate>>>Cool air>>>92MMintake fan on front of case>>>MUSIC HD (currently 40C)>>>PRIMARY HD (currently 51C)>>>120MMexhaust fan>>> 80MMexhaust case fan.

The 92mm is some kind of temp sensitive fan that varies the fan speed based on the air temp. I dont like it and I think the 80mm at full speed moves more air. Im going to switch the 92mm for a fixed speed fan or an 80mm fixed speed fan. I think the biggest difference is 120mm sucking hot air away from the primary HD and blowing it towards the 80mm exhaust fan.

How do you guys change the voltages?

Jun 27, 2005 at 4:18 PM Post #39 of 53
Quote:

Maybe you could buy a hamster and it could live in your overcrowded fishtank.
icon10.gif

Someone already beat me to it...
icon10.gif

@ OP - You might try a program called speedfan. As long as the fans are plugged into the motherboard headers, this program can vary the voltages. Just don't go pluggin' in any tornado fans.qqqqqqqqqqqqqqqq

Jul 5, 2005 at 5:42 AM Post #40 of 53
Quote:

What's with the concern over HDD temperatures? It's a computer, not a pet. You use it, not worry about it. If anything will overheat and blow up first it will be my P4 Prescott, which hovers around 50c most of the time. It's built for the heat though so it can take it. I'm more concerned over the fan making noise.

Heh. Dual G5 @ 2.5 each:

CPU A: 76 C
CPU B: 74 C
Memory heatsink: 75 C
Graphics chip: 60 C
Processor cards (ambient): 55 C
Logic Board: 51 C
Drive Bay: 30.5 C

The drive sensor itself isn't connected, or inaccessible.

Jul 5, 2005 at 6:03 AM Post #41 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by audeo
Heh. Dual G5 @ 2.5 each:

CPU A: 76 C
CPU B: 74 C...

Oh my! That's HOT! Those are IBM cpu's, right? I know VERY little about them. What is the ceiling on those things? Wow...

Jul 5, 2005 at 6:10 AM Post #42 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jodiuh
Oh my! That's HOT! Those are IBM cpu's, right? I know VERY little about them. What is the ceiling on those things? Wow...

Don't G5's have a permanently sealed watercooling setup? It always sounded flaky to me, and if the chips are close to 80C, I guess that confirms it.

Jul 5, 2005 at 1:51 PM Post #43 of 53
Me Im down to :

Maxtor 160GB: 42C
Maxtor 250GB: 37C

Jul 5, 2005 at 5:38 PM Post #44 of 53
Yeah, it has water cooling, and when you open the side panel, there's a clear plastic sheet of duct work that you have to remove before you can access anything.

The CPUs are IBM 970fx, derivatives of the Power4 architecture. When I woke the computer this morning, the CPUs took about two minutes to climb from 50 back up to 76 C. Apple doesn't seem to publish normal operating ranges, but when I checked last night the machine had been active for eight or so hours.

In other news, the hard drive came up at 38 C. So even in the inferno that IBM and Apple have created me, looks like the best bet is to keep the HD cool.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back