Please post your HD temperatures.
Jun 23, 2005 at 7:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 53

bundee1

Headphoneus Supremus
If you contributed the my last ***** Dell PC overheating thread thank you. Here is an update:

I bought a Seagate 400GB External HD and backed up all of my music to it. I bought a coolermaster 80mm fan and screwed it to the small grill on the side of my Dell. It is currently exhausting the hot air out. I have a dual HDD fan in the space between the plastic face of the Dell and one hard drive grill and that is blowing cool air onto the music HD. I have pci fan jerry rigged to suck out heat from the primary drive and blow it up towards the psu fan.

So far I can only get the 250 GB music HD to 40C and the primary HD to 51C.

Can you guys please post your HD temps so I have a benchmark to compare it to?

I cant find the safe operating temps for my Maxtor SATA drives in my instruction booklet or on the website.

One more question: Can you only partition a clean blank drive? I want to partition my primary drive (160GB of which 120GB are free) to add more music.

Jun 23, 2005 at 7:56 PM Post #2 of 53
Using Partition Magic (or other 3rd party software), you can repartition you drive without having to backup/delete your data.

My hard drive temperature (reported by through SMART) is 40 degrees.

Cooling:
*Exhaust: 120mm SilentX @ 7V

*Power Supply: 80mm Panaflow L1A/92mm SilentX, both @ 5V idle and ramps up to around 8V during heavy use

*Video Card: Arctic Cooling VGA Silencer @ 5V

*CPU: Zalman 7000Alcu @ 5V This is the loudest component in my computer
frown.gif

Jun 23, 2005 at 8:03 PM Post #3 of 53
Thats strange that with all that cooling you are only about 10C-15C away from overheating temps. Partition magic costs $70. Is anyone using a free program that would allow me to partition a HD already in use?

Any one else care to post their HD temps? Thanks!

Jun 23, 2005 at 8:07 PM Post #4 of 53
Primary 120GB HD runs at a consistent 41C, with a storage 300GB running underneath.

This is a fanless setup, except for the CPU and PSU fans.

Jun 23, 2005 at 9:06 PM Post #6 of 53
bundee1 said:
Is anyone using a free program that would allow me to partition a HD already in use?QUOTE]I don't believe there are any. Even some of the competition (Partition It, etc.) are gone. Aside from an anti-virus prog, Partition Magic is the only must have Windows app IMO.

Jun 23, 2005 at 9:10 PM Post #7 of 53
Room temp: 27C
HD1 (160gb Seagate): 34C
HD2 (120gb WD SE): 51C (Cant be right, its barely warm to the touch)

Both cooled by a 120mm Papst @ 5V.

Jun 23, 2005 at 9:29 PM Post #9 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by perplex
what's the best partition software then? this? powerquest partition magic

I've used it many times in the past, and it has worked great. There is this one time when resizing a drive it killed the partition though, so be careful if you use that feature...

Jun 23, 2005 at 9:34 PM Post #11 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by saturnine
I've used it many times in the past, and it has worked great. There is this one time when resizing a drive it killed the partition though, so be careful if you use that feature...

eek.gif
jesus christ "worked great" then saying i have to be careful or i might blow up my partition?
mad.gif
biggrin.gif

Jun 23, 2005 at 9:40 PM Post #12 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by bundee1
Thats strange that with all that cooling you are only about 10C-15C away from overheating temps.

I don't think my cooling setup is "all that"
icon10.gif
It's pretty much standard quiet cooling on PSU, CPU, and Video Card; and one case fan.

Jun 23, 2005 at 9:49 PM Post #14 of 53
I am showing my System drive at (40gb) @ 28C/30C
my music drives (300GB) @ 34C/37C
also CPU (AMD-XP2100+) @ 54-60C
*ambient 30C

Jun 23, 2005 at 10:21 PM Post #15 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by perplex
eek.gif
jesus christ "worked great" then saying i have to be careful or i might blow up my partition?
mad.gif
biggrin.gif

Eh, it only screwed up one time out of a hundred. I know people who have used it hundreds of times and havent had a single error.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back