Please post pics of emu 0404 setup
Feb 1, 2008 at 1:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

tf1216

500+ Head-Fier
I am a noob looking for advice from experienced users of the emu 0404.

Is there any downside from running a usb cable from a laptop to the emu 0404? Where has you guys gotten your cables to run from the emu 0404 to an external amp?

Thanks all!

Feb 1, 2008 at 2:12 AM Post #2 of 8
There's really nothing much to post........it looks like any USB cable going to any external USB device. Maybe I'm missing your point? The beauty of the 0404 USB is that it uses a proprietary driver/firmware solution to send the audio data over in USB's "bulk mode" into a buffer, from which it is reclocked to the DAC, allowing it to play hi-rez audio and presumably getting around any jitter issues present in a standard Windows USB Audio Device installation.

The main output is available on a single mini-TRS jack, plus two 1/4" TRS jacks that provide a balanced signal if you use TRS plugs (like on a headphone cable), or an unbalanced signal if you insert TS plugs (mono plugs, like a guitar/instrument cable.)

Options for cabling to an external amp (presuming the external amp has RCA jack inputs) are (a) a mini-TRS-to-RCA male pair cable, just like one would use from the stereo line-out of an internal sound card; (b) a pair of 1/4" TS-to-male RCA cables; or (c) a pair of these adapters from RadioShack or the equivalent, plus regular RCA-to-RCA cables:

pRS1C-2266318w345.jpg

RadioShack.com - Cables, Parts & Connectors: Connectors & connectivity: A/V connectors & adapters: Gold-Plated Phono-to-Mono Adapter

If you wish to go with option (b), I think Guitar Center has the cabling--I made mine myself from Mogami balanced mic cable with Neutrik TS plugs and Canare RCA's.

Feb 1, 2008 at 2:15 AM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by tf1216 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is there any downside from running a usb cable from a laptop to the emu 0404?

No. I've used both USB and mini toslink optical out to 0404 USB. No difference that I could tell. It comes down to if you want to buy a new cord vs. wanting to mess with changing the sound output in your control panel.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tf1216 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Where has you guys gotten your cables to run from the emu 0404 to an external amp?

I got mine from Blue Jeans Cable. You need to specify "1/4" TS male to male RCA adapter" on both cable strands. It was about $45 for a 2-foot length.

Feb 1, 2008 at 2:22 AM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by mchang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It comes down to if you want to buy a new cord vs. wanting to mess with changing the sound output in your control panel.

Curious......what do you have set as your default audio playback device in Sounds and Audio Devices (assuming you run XP)?

In the end, I found that I can simply set the default to my onboard sound, which is attached to my old Yamaha PC speakers for casual use, and when I power up the 0404 USB, it becomes the default playback device automatically/transparently.....and when it's powered down, the default device reverts to the onboard sound. No messing with Control Panel required.

Feb 1, 2008 at 3:53 AM Post #5 of 8
Not quite the same with Mac (I really should have used "Utilities" not "Control Panel" in my wording).
smily_headphones1.gif

If I use USB, I install the 0404 software and make a change there (although I'm not sure if this step is necessary). Then I go into Utilities > Audio MIDI Setup and change System Output and Default Output.

With optical minijack, I just have to buy the necessary cable, plug it in (like speakers or headphone) and go. Nothing to change.

Convenience vs. money for new cable.

Feb 1, 2008 at 12:32 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by sejarzo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Curious......what do you have set as your default audio playback device in Sounds and Audio Devices (assuming you run XP)?

In the end, I found that I can simply set the default to my onboard sound, which is attached to my old Yamaha PC speakers for casual use, and when I power up the 0404 USB, it becomes the default playback device automatically/transparently.....and when it's powered down, the default device reverts to the onboard sound. No messing with Control Panel required.

Exactly the same thing I do.

Feb 1, 2008 at 3:21 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by mchang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not quite the same with Mac (I really should have used "Utilities" not "Control Panel" in my wording).

Yes, a while after I posted, I noticed your sig and was sort of confused.....I have never dealt with audio on a Mac, and when someone uses the term "Control Panel"--even if they are on a PC--at times I wonder if they are referring to the XP Control Panel or the "E-MU USB Audio Control Panel" app that resides in the systray.

FWIW, I think hardware vendors should never use the term "Control Panel" for an applet supplied with their device that is used to configure settings specific to that device......call it "Configuration Tool" or something so that "Control Panel" only refers to the XP Control Panel. Wouldn't that make sense--especially when, as we see here, there may be a need to use both to end up with the desired overall set-up?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back