Please help with juicing Fischer FA-011
Oct 21, 2011 at 3:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Gmork

Head-Fier
I just ordered a pair of Fischer FA-011's and I've read they benefit a lot from amping.

I'm new to the concept of amping, so I really need some advice.  What am I going to need to juice these things for as cheap as possible?

I need a decent soundcard I'm assuming, do I ALSO need an amp to go with it?  Any suggestions or information at all would be helpful.

I should also mention that portability is not a concern at all; this will be for one set up and the headphones will likely never leave this computer.

Oct 21, 2011 at 5:21 PM Post #2 of 15

Quote:
I just ordered a pair of Fischer FA-011's and I've read they benefit a lot from amping.

I'm new to the concept of amping, so I really need some advice.  What am I going to need to juice these things for as cheap as possible?

I need a decent soundcard I'm assuming, do I ALSO need an amp to go with it?  Any suggestions or information at all would be helpful.

I should also mention that portability is not a concern at all; this will be for one set up and the headphones will likely never leave this computer.

If you get an Asus card, they have an amp built in already. How much are you looking to spend?

Oct 21, 2011 at 8:21 PM Post #6 of 15
The Xonar DG is "0-150" Ohms. May as well go straight to the top, with Essence ST/X and be happy with both DAC & amp improvements. And it's shielded, too, so you don't get a bunch of noise like you would with DGs and DSs.

Oct 21, 2011 at 8:46 PM Post #8 of 15
Seems only the DG, Xense, and Essences have inbuilt amps. There's really not much improvement with the DG. I've noticed the bass on my headphones tightens and has more impact, but I don't know if that's just a change in source from iPod -> sound card. And turn the amp up, and you're greeted by background noise in quiet passages. You can't complain for the price, though.. You'll have to look elsewhere.

Oct 21, 2011 at 8:56 PM Post #9 of 15
Ugh....

Well, is this one piece of equipment going to be enough to do the job by itself? 

$200 is really out of my price range, is there ANY other solution that makes sense for driving these things?

Am I better off with a DIY Cmoy?

Oct 21, 2011 at 11:59 PM Post #12 of 15
Quote:
The Xonar DG is "0-150" Ohms.

This is meaningless. Any impedance headphone can be plugged into any amp. Some combinations might explode, but this wouldn't be one of them.

The Fischer headphones are fairly efficient, and won't be that hard to power despite the impedance. Gmork, you can go with the DG if you want to try it, or you can try an external amp/DAC combo like the Fiio E7 or E10.

Oct 22, 2011 at 12:02 AM Post #13 of 15

Quote:
This is meaningless. Any impedance headphone can be plugged into any amp. Some combinations might explode, but this wouldn't be one of them.

The Fischer headphones are fairly efficient, and won't be that hard to power despite the impedance. Gmork, you can go with the DG if you want to try it, or you can try an external amp/DAC combo like the Fiio E7 or E10.

I cannot afford to get the E7+E9 combo, can you recommend me anything more affordable that would do the job? Would the E11 work? I don't care if its a soundcard, a DAC, an AMP, a combo, anything.

Oct 22, 2011 at 8:05 PM Post #14 of 15

Quote:

I don't this he has problems getting sufficient volume. He's looking for improvement.. "0-150 Ohms" is all the info Asus gives you, regarding the amp's power. The DG's amp sucks. Sure, it can get much louder than an E5, but I it's got so much more noise, compared to iPod + E5.

Quote:
 I cannot afford to get the E7+E9 combo, can you recommend me anything more affordable that would do the job? Would the E11 work? I don't care if its a soundcard, a DAC, an AMP, a combo, anything.

You could try a DG(with ASIO or maxed out software volume, and it's inbuilt amp off) and an E9/E10. Using maxed out software volume just about solves all noise problems with it. Or, you could get just the E10 and use your onboard soundcard. The E11 needs recharging every so often.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back