Please help with Hifiman options
Aug 24, 2022 at 8:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

virustwin

New Head-Fier
HI guys, please disregard my signature as if to update it. I was hoping to get some advice about my next move. I'm going brand by Brand and I'm.on hifiman now. I am desperately considering the hifiman 400se because I've been hearing good things about it. My other options are the hifimamxs or the Ananda (I know the prices vary drastically here). Currently I have the 4xx, hex4 and sundara v2. I'm mostly concerned that getting the 400se may be not too much a departure from the x4 and 4xx in terms of overall signature. I haven't had the opportunity to hear it so my question is having those two headphones (not counting the sundara), would you think it makes sense get the 400se? And is the xs worth it over the sundara? I know it's subjective and that why I'm asking for opinions. Thanks much
:v:

Aug 24, 2022 at 9:03 AM Post #2 of 8
Hi, if you want more detail and clarity, then yes, the XS is noticeably better than the Sundara. It's available open box direct from Hifiman for $450. You can buy it used for roughly $400 but it's worth paying the extra for the warranty. The Sundara used is worth about $175-200 in great condition with all packaging, etc., so that could help offset the cost post purchase.

Aug 24, 2022 at 10:07 AM Post #4 of 8
The XS has a bigger soundstage than the Sundara--the only thing I don't like about them is the headband. And sorry, have not heard the 400se.

Aug 24, 2022 at 1:05 PM Post #5 of 8
HI guys, please disregard my signature as if to update it. I was hoping to get some advice about my next move. I'm going brand by Brand and I'm.on hifiman now. I am desperately considering the hifiman 400se because I've been hearing good things about it. My other options are the hifimamxs or the Ananda (I know the prices vary drastically here). Currently I have the 4xx, hex4 and sundara v2. I'm mostly concerned that getting the 400se may be not too much a departure from the x4 and 4xx in terms of overall signature. I haven't had the opportunity to hear it so my question is having those two headphones (not counting the sundara), would you think it makes sense get the 400se? And is the xs worth it over the sundara? I know it's subjective and that why I'm asking for opinions. Thanks much
:v:
I haven't owned any HiFiMan IEMs or headphones, but I do know someone who has a set of 400se and my father and I between us have owned three different HiFiMan DAPs. One thing I would say about HiFiMan, from experience, is the sound is incredible, but the build quality is not. I absolutely loved the sound of the 400se when my mate let me try them on my HM-802s. But the build quality was unsurprisingly poor. I couldn't fault the sound though for the price my mate paid for them (about 200 euros if memory serves me correct). Cannot comment on the rest though unfortunately, but I did like the 400se a lot in terms of sound signature. They're quite warm compared to my IEMs I used on my 802s. Hope that helps a small bit.

Aug 24, 2022 at 2:12 PM Post #7 of 8
I haven't owned any HiFiMan IEMs or headphones, but I do know someone who has a set of 400se and my father and I between us have owned three different HiFiMan DAPs. One thing I would say about HiFiMan, from experience, is the sound is incredible, but the build quality is not. I absolutely loved the sound of the 400se when my mate let me try them on my HM-802s. But the build quality was unsurprisingly poor. I couldn't fault the sound though for the price my mate paid for them (about 200 euros if memory serves me correct). Cannot comment on the rest though unfortunately, but I did like the 400se a lot in terms of sound signature. They're quite warm compared to my IEMs I used on my 802s. Hope that helps a small bit.
Yes it does help. The description of the 400se seems to lean more toward the 4xx if you say they sound on the warm side. The x4 is a little colder and slightly bright but more balanced and nuanced than the 4xx. I agree with the build quality, at least with the x4 which developed a squeak when you press in the left cup but it doesn't affect sound. The 4xx stood up like a tank but those are drop + hifiman products so I know they cut some corners to keep the costs down. The sundara feels substantial, if not shallow (in size) compared to the beefy looking 4xx and x4. I was looking to hifiman iems as well. It think they released a new one recently too but I have to check. Thank you. Very helpful too :v:

Aug 29, 2022 at 11:39 AM Post #8 of 8
I haven't tried out the others you listed but I have tried the Sundara and the Ananda. I consider the Sundara to be somewhat softer and warmer, and the Ananda to be a more technical, clearer, sound.

I think it's definitely worth having an egg-shaped Hifiman even if you already have the Sundara, as the sound is quite different. Personally I much prefer the eggs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back