Please help with computer noise!
May 4, 2010 at 1:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Kopenhagen

New Head-Fier
Hey guys, I'm trying to fix my pc audio set up. I'm running a peachtree audio decco from my pc and there's a static/popping/computer running noise whenever I plug it in either through USB or RCA. I've already searched for solutions and tried moving the power supply, disabling other components so the PSU is less stressed, plugging into a grounded outlet away from everything else etc and nothing helps at all. Like in some of the other treads I've seen, when I move the mouse the sound gets very loud and whiney (noise from the video card?). The part that's different from what I've seen in other threads is that when run through the DAC and amp, there is one section on the amp dial at about 10/11 O'clock where the computer sound completely disappears! Please help! I'm dying here!

May 4, 2010 at 2:14 AM Post #2 of 17
There could be many reasons why you get all the pops and statics, but the most common is your power supply, probably a no name and outputs unclean power to your motherboard, which gives statics. Popping could be a driver issue but to be honest it is a hard to find and fix problem some of the motherboard runs into.

May 4, 2010 at 2:41 AM Post #3 of 17
The power supply is a Rosewill RG700-S12 700W continuous and the motherboard is a quality gigabyte one i forgot which one I put in but if it's important I can find out!
Any ideas why there is a sweet spot where all the static goes away completely?

May 4, 2010 at 2:52 AM Post #4 of 17
Customer Reviews Of Rosewill Green Series RG700-S12 700W Continuous @40°C,80 PLUS Certified,Single 12V Rail,ATX12V v2.3 / EPS12V v2.91,SLI Ready,CrossFire Ready,Active PFC"Compatible with Core i7, i5" Power Supply

For future reference, your power supply is one of the main part of the computer, and it should be, if not, one of the most, you should be spending on a computer.

Corsair, Seasonic and Sparkle... these are some of the good companies that makes good, solid power supplies.

As for the statics, it is a common thing that happens inside a computer, due to power supply and other electronic hardware inside your computer, there are no EMI shields and noise exposes direct into your motherboard, affacting your audio output. You have tried external DAC and it was the best idea to avoid noises.

May 4, 2010 at 11:14 AM Post #6 of 17
Ok thanks, looks like I'll probably need a new PSU pretty soon then, I got this one at a great deal and I guess this is why :[

@joe_cool how would I fix the problem if it has to do with the chasis? foam insulation or something?

May 4, 2010 at 2:53 PM Post #7 of 17
PC audio may often be fraught with "ground loop" which can be a pain to isolate.

Just went over that here:

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/485650/x-fi-vs-amp#post_6598315

Faulty device or device driver that corrupts the audio stream at its source can also bring you static.

Update/reinstall your soundcard drivers.

Shut down the onboard sound in the BIOS if using a soundcard.

Use of separate audio enhancement software can interfere with audio processing.

Incorrect device selection;plugging and unplugging devices, which can cause the latest device to be used instead of a previously selected device (contrary to the user expectation).

Make sure you plug into a motherboard USB port and not one on the PC case.

Examine all connections and plugs,switch your USB mouse to another port.

Static is very frustrating,good luck eliminating the problem so you can use your Peachtree!

May 4, 2010 at 4:19 PM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by joe_cool /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The problem could also be from the chassis. Most all I/O connections are grounded to the chassis as they leave the computer.

Sadly if you have PS or chassis problems, there is no solution short of replacement, but the problem could also be related to the electrical power system in your house/apartment. I would try to identify the problem by temporarily disconnecting the chassis ground on the Decco.

May 4, 2010 at 4:43 PM Post #9 of 17
I just went through this exact situation with my mini-itx music pc.

I was running the PC into a small headphone amp powered by a dc powersupply. Both the pc and amp were using the same kind of powersupply, which is 12v 4a with three conductor ac input cable (line, N and Ground). I was having all kinds of noise just as you described, mainly when using sensitive headphones. Then, I swapped the amp powersupply with a model without a ground conductor, and all was fine.

I would try isolating ground from your amp and see what happens. Try this before wasting money on a new powersupply.

PC noise is never going to go away. You just have to make sure the noise travels straight to the PC ground and not through your audio equipment.

May 4, 2010 at 8:01 PM Post #11 of 17
Wait a moment. Are you using WASAPI/KS/ASIO? If not, look into those audio streaming methods. If you don't want to use those, make sure the output to your USB device is maxed on each volume control available, and turn the amp itself down.

May 6, 2010 at 3:02 PM Post #12 of 17
i also had a lot of noise coming from my PC a while back and realized it was my dvd drive. whenever it was active, my sound became so choppy and unbearable to listen to. changing from a SATA drive to a IDE drive fixed the issue for me. i think like one of the posts states, its difficult to isolate the root of the noise.

May 6, 2010 at 3:29 PM Post #13 of 17

Kawai, I don't think that would solve the issue. There are many switching regulators on the motherboard itself.

Your powersupply is probably not the issue. Try powering your amp without a ground and let us know what happens. This fixed my noise issue instantly.

May 6, 2010 at 8:32 PM Post #14 of 17
you need to plug your DAC to the PC w/ a galvanically isolated connection...toslink will KILL those interferences for sure, coax is also an option if you have "pulse transformers" in the way...that's the black square: http://www.ha-info.com/en/ngcoax.htm

most cheapo PC soundcards don't have them, so toslink is often the only solution...don't waste your money swapping PSU's, it won't change a damn thing.

May 7, 2010 at 2:06 AM Post #15 of 17

Quote:
The power supply is a Rosewill RG700-S12 700W continuous and the motherboard is a quality gigabyte one i forgot which one I put in but if it's important I can find out!
Any ideas why there is a sweet spot where all the static goes away completely?

You guys might be right that the PS has nothing to do with it but I can verify that you couldn't get more generic and no-name than Rosewill. I had a friend building computers for people and to cut corners he put Rosewill PS in every one. Needless to say, the repair and warranty costs associated with replacing the many failures more than ate any perceived initial cost savings.  PC Power & Cooling are all that I ever buy but with OCZ buying them out they seem to almost be disappearing.  Seasonic is a really good one that OEMs many other PS.  I have also had good luck with Sparkle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back