Please help...What's fair?
Dec 15, 2003 at 2:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

2 channel

500+ Head-Fier
Looking for some words of wisdom here...
I sold a fellow headfier an item. I shipped the item via USPS, US to Canada. The item did not arrive at his address and I can't find my original receipt. I only declared thr value at $20 anyway at the buyers request (customs and all).

So what do you guys think is a fair and equitable solution? Should I refund all of his money, half of his money...only $20 since that is all i would have received even if I had my receipt??
I want to do what is right by a fellow head-fier

Thanks in advance.

Dec 15, 2003 at 2:27 PM Post #2 of 7
Quote:

I only declared thr value at $20 anyway at the buyers request

I don't like this practice because of potential situations exactly like this one. Is there no possibility of tracing the package at this point? No delivery confirm?

I assume no insurance either? Since you both (technically) agreed to do this, I'd say that you both should bear the cost of restitution. Refund half.

Lesson learned.

Dec 15, 2003 at 3:24 PM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally posted by MusicJunkie
How long ago did you send it? Sometimes things get lost in the mail only to mysteriously show up later. Knowing the USPS I would give it some time.

MJ

Yes. Some of my packages disappear then show up after being lost for nearly 4 months.

Anyway, I think the fair way is to split the loss both ways. Refund him half of what he paid you. Both of you formed some sort of temporary partnership/agreement on this deal. And seeing that both of you are not at fault here, 50/50 share in the loss of the deal seems fair.

Dec 15, 2003 at 8:27 PM Post #5 of 7
USPS does not typically lose items from my experience what often happens is that if a person is not home, and the notice from Canadapost either goes missing (blows away, destroyed, stolen by a pesky neighbour) OR was never left by the postal worker...

then this is what happens...

it sits in a postal depot for 14 days and is then returned to the shipper. Your best bet is to hold off for a period of 30 days. This will ensure return delivery time etc.

I had a horrible time with my Melos. In the end I did receive it but it was 60+ days AFTER the expected delivery date. Back and forth etc etc.

Give it time, or work out the 50-50 deal and when ti does show up, just ship it out again, this time with some insurance
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 15, 2003 at 10:01 PM Post #6 of 7
Have you asked USPS to start a trace on the package? They can usually find out where it is if the shipper starts a trace. I've had packages take 4 weeks to arrive when shpping across border too. And christmass time will be especially busy.

Dec 15, 2003 at 10:11 PM Post #7 of 7
If you have the customs label number handy (Well, you probably don't, since you lost the receipt..
frown.gif
), but if that was around, you can track it on the candapost.ca website. Since the form should be filed at the post office for 30 days, perhaps you can go to the PO and get the number from them?

Best of luck,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back