Please Help!!!!! Think I've Wrecked my 325i's
Feb 23, 2009 at 10:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

SpudHarris

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi guys, I'm really hoping someone can help me!!!

I've made a beautiful new cable for my 325's. I managed to get the cups and drivers separated thanks to a few pointers from the more knowledgable Head-Fiers.....

However whilst unsoldering one of the ground cables from the driver the whole pad with the solder and wire came away leaving nothing to connect to (am I making sense??) I'm assuming I've ripped the wire that goes underneath and into the actual speaker. Is there any way to actually get to this so I can pick up the wire again or have I knackered the whole thing??

Damn this DIY habit!!!!

Any advice is really appreciated.

Thanks

Feb 23, 2009 at 10:53 PM Post #2 of 18
If you can find the wire leading to the driver, solder your headphone cable to the contact (which is now ripped off), then attach contact back to the driver (not sure how, maybe epoxy/superglue whatever can stand high heat for short time) and very carefully (and I mean VERY carefully), tin and solder the driver lead (it's enameled) to a terminal, Don't try to recable these again, I doubt they'll survive this again.

Feb 23, 2009 at 10:59 PM Post #3 of 18
Thanks FallenAngel, unfortunately no sign of the driver lead at all. Is there any other way to get to the front of the driver?? which is where I could possibly pick up the driver lead?

Feb 23, 2009 at 11:02 PM Post #4 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by SpudHarris /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks FallenAngel, unfortunately no sign of the driver lead at all. Is there any other way to get to the front of the driver?? which is where I could possibly pick up the driver lead?

Not that I know of, the lead is glued to the inside of the driver membrane so unless you can get in there, peel it back, unwind a length and use that, you'll be getting a replacement driver from Grado.
wink.gif

Feb 23, 2009 at 11:04 PM Post #5 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not that I know of, the lead is glued to the inside of the driver membrane so unless you can get in there, peel it back, unwind a length and use that, you'll be getting a replacement driver from Grado.
wink.gif

Thanks again....If I could get at it I'd give it a shot. How much do you recon a driver would cost me??

Feb 24, 2009 at 8:45 AM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by apatN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is this what happened to you? In that case you are pretty screwed. I know how you feel as I had the same.
frown.gif

Yep, although only on the one side. Did you get it repaired or did you go for a new pair?

I'm thinking to send from UK to Grado would be a cheaper option for me. These cost £279 over here. If you went down the repair route would you still have contact details?

Thanks a million for getting back to me I really appreciate it.

Nigel

Feb 24, 2009 at 8:52 AM Post #12 of 18
No problem.
I too had it on one side. I guess they might be repaired if you would open them as in removing the driver. Even if it can be done it would be a PITA.
I sent an e-mail to Grado in which I asked for information about repair. They repair your Grado for 30$ but you'll have to pay shipping. In the case of my MS-1 I thought it was not worth it and recently I bought a new driver unit from a member here.
What I guess I did not do at the time was inquire if they were willing to sell me one driver unit.
You can find their contact details on their site.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 24, 2009 at 12:21 PM Post #13 of 18
Yep well and truly knackered! Can't believe that for the sake of a bit of DIYing & self Kudos I've killed my 325i's.

I've looked around and as you would expect nobody is selling just one driver. All I can do is hold onto what I've got and keep checking back. I've e-mailed Grado to see If I can get a driver but I'm not holding out much hope.
redface.gif

Feb 24, 2009 at 2:57 PM Post #15 of 18
Grado does not sell just drivers (and they are nearly impossible to take out anyways) but has generally been pretty reasonable about repairing stuff in house.

Wait for them to email you back, or perhaps give them a phone call.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back