Please help out a beginner!!! Fiio E17 help
Aug 30, 2012 at 1:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

EvolutionBeats

New Head-Fier
Hello all. I tried searching the forum first as to not ask a repetitive question but I could not find exactly what I was looking for.

I have recently purchased the Fiio e17 amp with Beyerdynamic Dt 880 250 ohms which I will be using on my 2012 iMac.

Now, when plugging my headphones (with no amp) into the computer, I get a decent volume. It won't go too loud, but it's not bad.

I also tried plugging the headphones right into my droid to play some songs. Once again, not too loud, but decent.

Now, when I plug the headphones into the amp, then the amp into the computer (via usb) or into my droid (via aux) the sound is really low! Even with the volume controls turned up all the way on my computer or droid, and turned up all the way on my e17, I get a much lower signal than with no amp.

How does this make sense? How am I getting a lower volume level while using the amp, but when I leave the amp out of the equation and go right into my computer, I get a decent sound.

So basically as an overview of my problem....

When using my headphones with my amp, I am getting LOWER volumes at max levels then when I use NO amp.

Am I just using the amp wrong...or do I simply just not need it?

ps - When headphones are plugged into my mbox, I am able to get a nice loud volume out of it. This is unrelated, but the headphones work with the mbox, but the Fiio makes the volume way lower.

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!!!!

Aug 30, 2012 at 2:13 AM Post #2 of 7
What is the gain on your E17? If you have no idea what gain is, refer back to the E17 manual.

Sep 2, 2012 at 8:30 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:
Hey guys. Thanks for answering. I have the gain up to +12 and the max volume up to 60. I have even tried combinations of different gain and volume levels but still nothing works.

Take a look at the amp output power into 300 ohms (closest to your 250R DT-880s), on the top right of the website page under "specification", for the fiio e17:

http://www.fiio.com.cn/product/index.aspx?ID=41&MenuID=020301

vs. the same for the fiio e09k desktop amp:

http://www.fiio.com.cn/product/index.aspx?ID=19

The e09k outputs around 150mW into 300R, nearly 5 times as much output power as the e17 at 30mW.  Your relatively high impedance 250R headphones will need a fairly large voltage swing.  The e17 by itself may not have it given those specification numbers.  Your computer and droid may actually have more voltage swing on their headphone outputs.  The e17 may do better at supplying a smaller voltage swing, but with more current capability, into a lower impedance + higher sensitivity headphone. 

That product link above for the e09k says that it can actually be paired with the e17 (uses the e17 DAC) for increased output power.  Folks with high impedance cans (250R, 300R, 600R) or low impedance + low sensitivity cans would probably benefit from adding that amp over just the straight e17 output.  See the comment in the upper left corner of that fiio e09k product page under "brief": "strong output power, easily drive high impedance headphone".

Note that your DT-880s list a 100mW maximum power handling ability.  But that is likely with sine waves, and nobody listens to sine waves for long periods.
tongue.gif
   Something like that e09k rated at 150mW output, or some other amp rated even higher like 200mW or 250mW, would work just fine with real-world "music power" levels - listening to actual music at normal listening levels.

Sep 3, 2012 at 8:35 AM Post #7 of 7
I'm glad that info was useful!  After some searching I just spotted this thread on the same issue:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/618405/fiio-e17-low-volume-level-when-paired-with-beyer-dt880s-250ohm

In post #7 fiio themselves are recommending adding the e09k.  That thread doesn't mention trying the DT-880s directly with the source like you did, but if they had the result may been the same - the source actually being louder (providing more voltage swing) than through the amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back