Please help my search for the right equipment
Jul 16, 2009 at 3:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

specto

100+ Head-Fier
I have been reading the Head-Fi forums for several days and looking for information directly relating to what I want, but it is very difficult to find an exact match. ( of course I know this is near impossible but I would like some direct input that has a consensus)

I would really like to get into the high quality audio world, but I previously did not have enough money to purchase the correct equipment. So I need some pointers here.

Music I like:
Pendulum
Flight of the Concords
basement jaxx
Infected Mushroom
System of a Down

Essentially Drum and Bass, Electronica, Dance, etc... (stuff with lot's of bass and some acoustic)

Earphones I have tried, and have been dissapointed:
Shure e2c -- Great earphones, no bass.
Sennheiser px100 -- again great headphones, weak bass () edit: They were ok when I bought them, they degraded I guess
Vmoda Vibes -- I've had 4 pairs of these (all replaced on warranty) and the first pair was the only good ones which sounded amazing, all of the others have sucked. Majorly muddy sound, almost all bass.
Edit: forgot to mention my UE Superfi 5eb's -- insane bass, but very muddy, maybe an amp would help, maybe I'm just missing something, I dunno. sorry I'm a noob
smily_headphones1.gif

So now that I am out of college I would like to try something new since I have a bit more money. I would like something that is heavy in bass, but not muddy so I can still hear the great mids in music like Pendulum's. So I need recommendations for an amp and earphone combination, or just headphones if you think I don't need an amp. I would like to keep it as cheap as possible as I still don't have much as far as money is concerned, but I am willing to save up and wait to get something fairly nice. I'd have to say $500 total is my limit though, and that is a very high limit because it will take me a while to convince myself to purchase something like that.

Thank you for your time!

Edit: I should note that I need something that does not leak too much sound, so in ear or closed.

SpEcTo

Jul 16, 2009 at 4:05 PM Post #3 of 18
Quote:

If you thought the PX100 had weak bass, Idk what to tell you...

Maybe mine are broken? I thought they used to have decent bass when I first bought them, but they don't anymore.

Jul 16, 2009 at 5:37 PM Post #4 of 18
The PX100 are pretty bassy headphones, and I found them great for electronica. The V-Modas got crappy drivers dumped in them somewhere, probably because they had to cut costs because of the millions of warranty returns.

Jul 16, 2009 at 5:39 PM Post #5 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by revolink24 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The PX100 are pretty bassy headphones, and I found them great for electronica. The V-Modas got crappy drivers dumped in them somewhere, probably because they had to cut costs because of the millions of warranty returns.

Hrm, mine must be broken than, or just old, I have had them for several years.

Jul 16, 2009 at 5:47 PM Post #6 of 18
Spend some more time reading the head-fi forums and then when you have a few products that look interesting, search for the big threads that are usually started by the first person to do a review.

Jul 16, 2009 at 6:33 PM Post #7 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by billybob_jcv /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Spend some more time reading the head-fi forums and then when you have a few products that look interesting, search for the big threads that are usually started by the first person to do a review.

Thank you for your reply, and I can ensure you that I am still looking around and searching through the forums, just hoping someone else has some direct experience and input to offer.

Jul 16, 2009 at 7:08 PM Post #9 of 18
Quote:

I'd say maybe the Westone 3, or IE8. You can find them used and maybe even new under $300 in some cases.

Those IE8's look sexy, but if I may ask, why did you get rid of them?

Jul 17, 2009 at 1:50 AM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by specto /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...Sennheiser px100 -- again great headphones, weak...

PX100 no bass? Wow, that's a suprise as I find them bassy. Have you thought to try Koss? The PortaPro are bassy as well as other models. I'm not much for IEMs or Buds because of comfort and lack of bass, but I think the Crossroads Mylars have decent bass.

Jul 17, 2009 at 2:18 PM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by DocHamm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
PX100 no bass? Wow, that's a suprise as I find them bassy. Have you thought to try Koss? The PortaPro are bassy as well as other models. I'm not much for IEMs or Buds because of comfort and lack of bass, but I think the Crossroads Mylars have decent bass.

While I really am tempted to get something other than my IEMs or buds I really can't, otherwise I wouldn't be able to use them at work.
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back