Please help me with my survey (about storage)
Jun 20, 2014 at 8:46 AM Post #166 of 255
Originally Posted by spookygonk /img/forum/go_quote.gif

(how many variations of DSotM do I really need?)

-I'd say somewhere in the neighbourhood of three would do in a pinch - an early live recording (I much, much prefer the guitar-based On The Run to the synthesized one), the original released version and also, for historical purposes, the early mix which was included in the 'Immersion' box released a couple of years ago. (The latter is quite interesting - most notably, perhaps, Clare Torry's vocals is missing from The Great Gig In The Sky, replaced by a Rick Wright tour de force....)

:)

Jun 20, 2014 at 9:51 AM Post #167 of 255
Wouldn't it be great if the tech world reached some sort of optimal steady state (formats, connections, interoperability). 

I currently have the following digital audio only media storage setup:
  • A multi terrabyte La Cie Drive - Raid, Stores rips of all CDs in FLAC, AIFF and Apple Lossless (This is primarily a backup of my files)
  • A 1 TB La Cie Porsche Drive with Apple lossless connected to my mac Mini - contains one copy of each album and serves as my music source for daily listening.  Close to maxed.
  • (2) Ipod classics 160 gb with a selection of music on each (1 for Jazz, the other for everything else)
  • Samsung G Tab Pro with (4) 64k micro SD cards - each card holding a different genre of music.  Also locally streaming from the Mac Mini library. 

I could cut storage needs by eliminating formats but prefer the flexibility of having various formats.

I'm becoming more enamored with the notion of having the ability to stream to my portable device so long as the file I'm streaming is not reduced in quality from the original rip.  I've found myself streaming from my Mac Mini to my Iphone connected to my SR71a and CLAS -DB.  I've also been doing the same with my Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 8. 

The combination of a tablet/streaming and micro SD Cards really seems to be working especially when paired with the SR71a and CLAS-db.  Trade off between size or ttl rig and tablet functionality. 

The only issue is when traveling with limited to no wifi access.  Then I'm stuck with the high (but descending) cost of micro sd cards. 

Jun 20, 2014 at 1:08 PM Post #170 of 255
I'm currently @about 300gb of music, converted to LAME V~0 for portable usage. I have my cd's stored away as the hardcopy, and I have a backup drive w/all my music just in case.

Jun 20, 2014 at 4:30 PM Post #172 of 255
Total music is still under 120GB, but slowly growing.
As you said music/media, i had to mark "over 1 TB".

I have a total of 7TB of disk space available, of which about 2TB used. I usually buy stuff on blu-ray/CD/DVD/vinyl and then torrent it's contents from online sources. Takes me less effort than ripping it myself.

Jun 20, 2014 at 6:48 PM Post #173 of 255
Got over 3TB's and the collection is still growing :)

Jun 20, 2014 at 11:49 PM Post #174 of 255
Digital music is a minority holding for me.  About 580GB at the moment, but growing rapidly as I have started downloading Hi-Rez digital files.  Still dwarfed by a couple thousand LP's, some of which I've been ripping to digital when I have the time and patience.  Still mostly an analog guy.

Hey Jude, are you trying to optimize a storage solution for audiofools?

Jun 21, 2014 at 6:13 AM Post #176 of 255
I've got 2.8 terabytes capacity on a RAID10 NAS (doubly backed up to external USB drives once a week). About half of it is currently being used, mostly for audio (plus photos and a little bit of video as well).

Jun 21, 2014 at 9:12 AM Post #177 of 255
  Are you sure it's a RAID 0 (Stripe)?  If true, then you lose everything if one drive fails.  At least you can do RAID 1 (Mirror).  If you want the best of both, opt for RAID 10 (Stripe & Mirror).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_RAID_levels

No worries there...as I've said I have multiple external backups. I'm just after RAID 0 performance. If it fails so be it!
wink_face.gif

Jun 21, 2014 at 1:08 PM Post #178 of 255

No worries there...as I've said I have multiple external backups. I'm just after RAID 0 performance. If it fails so be it!
wink_face.gif

RAID 1+0/10 is RAID 0 performance with redundancy, it is pricey however. 

Jun 21, 2014 at 1:53 PM Post #179 of 255
Wait I just noticed it said ALL music/media, i need to change it from 500-!tb, to +1tb, ive got 4 TB in cinema-quality movies on a NAS
redface.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back