Please help me with diagnosis
Jan 11, 2010 at 4:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

youngster

New Head-Fier
Beyer DT990 2005

Right can suddenly is extremely low volume compared to the left. What is broken?

P.s. I already checked the balance at the source. It is the same for both L and R

Jan 11, 2010 at 5:18 AM Post #2 of 7
maybe it is the plug? does moving the plug in different directions make and noticeable changes?

Jan 11, 2010 at 6:35 AM Post #4 of 7
Youngster,
Test resistance of each channel. On jack and on driver. If there are noticeable differences - then the problem in wire.

Jan 11, 2010 at 7:02 AM Post #5 of 7
It could also be a bad channel on your amp or whatever you're driving your headphones with. Do you have a second pair of headphones around? Plug them in and you'll know if the problem is in your headphones or amp. You could also try plugging your headphones into something else to see if they work.

If the problem is in your headphones, I think it most likely that a solder joint came loose and is making poor contact. If a driver was blown it would either make no sound or very distorted sound.

Jan 11, 2010 at 5:26 PM Post #6 of 7
I called The Sound Surgeon, who services Beyerdynamic in the USA. He said it sounds like it needs a new system. By system I assume he means 'driver'.

The price for repair is the following:
System - $56.28
labor - $35.00
shipping - 12.50

Total is about $100. That is more than I had hoped
frown.gif

I wonder if I can get the part for less on-line. Is repairing this thing myself out of the question?

Jan 11, 2010 at 5:41 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Is repairing this thing myself out of the question?

Just take them and go to friend, who have good soldering skills and multimeter... Open cups and check resistance and solder joints. I they are Ok then the last hope is replacing drivers...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back