Please help me tweak my X-Fi settings
Dec 22, 2009 at 3:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Xpl0sion

New Head-Fier
I have a AuzenTech X-Fi Forte sound card. I currently have a set of both the Sens HD555s and Audio Technica ATH-AD700s (bought both off Amazon with the intention of returning one – seems like I will be going with the 700s)

I bought the combo for Call of Duty 4 as I am currently playing the game on the pro scene. My current issue is getting better positional audio – at the moment when I have multiple people in my proximity on the map all of their footsteps just group together and it’s impossible to tell where each is coming from

I’ve tried the following settings:

In both Windows and the game, I set speakers to 5.1, set Auzen C/P to headphones, and turn CMSS 3D/EAX on (everything else is off)
In both Windows and the game, I set speakers to stereo, set Auzen C/P to headphones, and turn everything off

Any suggestions? I bought the card based on the rave reviews it got and I’m just not really seeing any benefit over on-board with a good set of cans besides that everything sounds louder with more clarity, but the positional audio hasn’t changed really

I am plugging the cans into the headphone amp jack and am running the latest set of drivers off the Auzen website; OS is Windows 7 64-bit home premium.

P.S. Could my onboard Realtek HD audio be messing up the sound? I’ve uninstalled both the drivers and disabled the card in Sound windows control panel but it still shows up there

Thank you for any help

Dec 22, 2009 at 3:29 PM Post #3 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by chinesekiwi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Set speakers to stereo, set Auzen C/P to stereo, turn CMSS 3D on.

Hi there chinesekiwi and thank you for the reply - stereo is different from the headphone option in Auzen C/P, correct?

One other quick question - if a game has a EQ option enabled by default, should I turn it off?

Dec 26, 2009 at 6:09 PM Post #5 of 5
I tested CMSS-3d for headphones with like 5 different games, and this is what i came up with myself. I did the tests by spinning around in the game with my eyes closed, then tried to pinpoint exactly where the sounds where coming from, opened my eyes and then compared it to the mental picture i had based on the sounds.

In my experience, using 2 speakers (theres no headphone option in vista and up) makes the soundstage smaller, so if your playing a game where the actual enviroment is not that big, it might make it more realistic depending the game.

Setting 5.1 in windows, makes the soundstage bigger. For example in a big open space it will mesh all the sounds together more realistically, in some cases i found though that certain sources of sound behind me were louder than they should have been. Meaning its awesome for playing first person shooter cause you can hear the suckers coming your way very easily.

I suggest you make our own tests so you can get the most out of your card.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back