Please help me, my studio monitors were stolen and I want a good pair of headphones now. (Merged)
Dec 27, 2014 at 8:49 PM Post #16 of 54
sure their is.

some products. are more durable then others.

for example, I feel my pioneer hdj 1000 were the best sounding headphones I had, but they always broke because of platic parts.

So after buying 2 of them and having them fall the same fate. im done with that BRAND

Durability usually varies among different models.
Isolation varies among different models.
Sound signature preferences vary.
Sound signature often changes by model.
You can't pinpoint a brand thats "best" for anyone and anything.

Dec 27, 2014 at 8:55 PM Post #17 of 54
Yamaha mt220?
http://www.head-fi.org/products/yamaha-high-fidelity-premium-studio-monitor-headphones-37-ohms-impedance/reviews/10400
Theres a mini comparison with the focal spirit pro in that review.

Dec 27, 2014 at 11:17 PM Post #18 of 54
sure their is.

for example, I feel my pioneer hdj 1000 were the best sounding headphones I had, but they always broke because of platic parts.

So after buying 2 of them and having them fall the same fate. im done with that BRAND

Wrong. *You* made durability a requirement for your criteria of "best". I might not have that criteria, or I might put durability at a completely different priority than you. "Best" depends on the definition *you* have for "best".

Dec 28, 2014 at 1:15 AM Post #19 of 54
Sennheiser. You can buy parts for headphones going back as long as 20-25 years ago, and they have been family-run since inception. You can rely on them, and most of their products are well received here.

Dec 28, 2014 at 3:44 AM Post #20 of 54

sure their is.

"Durable", by itself, is not necessarily "better". Plenty of "durable" phones sound terrible, or are really uncomfortable, or are ugly, etc.

If you're looking for which companies make decent quality phones that are reliable, maybe ask about that particularly. I find Sennheiser products very good and durable, some I've had so long I've lost track of how old they are.

At the same time, it depends on what kind of use/abuse they would be seeing. Certain professional phones (for studios or DJs) are designed as much for rough use as sound quality, and might not necessarily be "audiophile" level. AKG & Sony come to mind, but that's not whole brands just certain models.

Dec 28, 2014 at 11:37 AM Post #21 of 54
  Sennheiser. You can buy parts for headphones going back as long as 20-25 years ago, and they have been family-run since inception. You can rely on them, and most of their products are well received here.

I was thinking sennheiser.

I had a pair of 201 or 202 HD and they sounded pretty good...ALMOST as good as my hdj 1000

I tried the sennheiser hd 280 but they sounded very weak, I think I need an amp for them....

whats the best sennheiser that gives the pioneers hdj 1000 a run for the money and dont need an external amp to power them?

Dec 28, 2014 at 11:38 AM Post #22 of 54

I was thinking sennheiser.

I had a pair of 201 or 202 HD and they sounded pretty good...ALMOST as good as my hdj 1000

I tried the sennheiser hd 280 but they sounded very weak, I think I need an amp for them....

whats the best sennheiser that gives the pioneers hdj 1000 a run for the money and dont need an external amp to power them? I want something that fits over my whole ear and seals the sound in my ear with no leakage

Dec 28, 2014 at 6:10 PM Post #23 of 54

"Durable", by itself, is not necessarily "better". Plenty of "durable" phones sound terrible, or are really uncomfortable, or are ugly, etc.

If you're looking for which companies make decent quality phones that are reliable, maybe ask about that particularly. I find Sennheiser products very good and durable, some I've had so long I've lost track of how old they are.

At the same time, it depends on what kind of use/abuse they would be seeing. Certain professional phones (for studios or DJs) are designed as much for rough use as sound quality, and might not necessarily be "audiophile" level. AKG & Sony come to mind, but that's not whole brands just certain models.

so what are the top 5 audiophile headphone companys?

I am trying to research them and their products.

thank you

Dec 28, 2014 at 6:30 PM Post #24 of 54
My friend, you are going about this the wrong way and asking the wrong questions.

If you would like to buy new headphones, then here are some of the things we need to know to help you decide:

- What kind of music do you listen to? Since you have mentioned "DJ" a couple of times, I'm going to guess EDM & Hip-Hop, is that correct?
- What do you like best & least about the Pioneer headphones? Do you like the bass response, the vocals or the highs? What specifically do you like/dislike about them?
- How will you be using these new headphones? At home by yourself? While riding a bus or train? While working in a noisy office? While gaming? Or, where?
- What will you be connecting these headphones to? Your phone? Your PC? A game console? Or what?
- Do you have any other headphone electronics like a PC soundcard, external DAC/amp, portable amp, Mixamp, etc?
- Do you prefer full-size over-the-ear headphones, or rests on-the-ear headphones or in-ear monitors (IEMs) that are inserted into your ear canal?
- What other headphones besides the Pioneer have you heard? What did you like or dislike about them?
- What is your budget in US Dollars?

Dec 28, 2014 at 6:58 PM Post #25 of 54
My friend, you are going about this the wrong way and asking the wrong questions.

If you would like to buy new headphones, then here are some of the things we need to know to help you decide:

- What kind of music do you listen to? Since you have mentioned "DJ" a couple of times, I'm going to guess EDM & Hip-Hop, is that correct?
- What do you like best & least about the Pioneer headphones? Do you like the bass response, the vocals or the highs? What specifically do you like/dislike about them?
- How will you be using these new headphones? At home by yourself? While riding a bus or train? While working in a noisy office? While gaming? Or, where?
- What will you be connecting these headphones to? Your phone? Your PC? A game console? Or what?
- Do you have any other headphone electronics like a PC soundcard, external DAC/amp, portable amp, Mixamp, etc?
- Do you prefer full-size over-the-ear headphones, or rests on-the-ear headphones or in-ear monitors (IEMs) that are inserted into your ear canal?
- What other headphones besides the Pioneer have you heard? What did you like or dislike about them?
- What is your budget in US Dollars?

I listen to all kinds of music, but I dont think headphones should be made more a certain type of music. Just like a refrence monitor is made to listen to not made with hip hop, or a certain kind of music in mind.

the pioneers, at the time that I bought them sounded better out of all the headphones I tired years back.

on paper, they have a frequency response

Frequency Range 5 Hz - 30,000Hz

that compares to some great headphones.

The headphones will be used for mixdown songs and using them to play video games I guess, but Im not buying audiophile headphones just for gaming, it makes no sense to have 2 headphones.

I dont think I want to spend over $350 for headphones.

Dec 28, 2014 at 7:00 PM Post #26 of 54
I listen to all kinds of music, but I dont think headphones should be made more a certain type of music. Just like a refrence monitor is made to listen to not made with hip hop, or a certain kind of music in mind.

the pioneers, at the time that I bought them sounded better out of all the headphones I tired years back.

on paper, they have a frequency response

Frequency Range 5 Hz - 30,000Hz

that compares to some great headphones.

The headphones will be used for mixdown songs and using them to play video games I guess, but Im not buying audiophile headphones just for gaming, it makes no sense to have 2 headphones.

I dont think I want to spend over $350 for headphones.
Don't pay any attention to the frequency response ratings unless it has a tolerance listed or its a graph.

Dec 28, 2014 at 7:41 PM Post #27 of 54
I just going restate, no such thing as best company in anything ever. Brand whoring will almost always certainly screwing you over in the end no matter what type of product you buy. A company with a good name will always end up making at least a few ****ty products just because they can get away with it.  

Dec 29, 2014 at 4:42 AM Post #28 of 54
A company with a good name will always end up making at least a few ****ty products just because they can get away with it.  

That is exactly the reason why I would avoid low end headphones from well known manufacturers. So far I have not heard affordable headphone by  Sennheiser, AKG  or Beyerdynamic that is comparable to best headphones manufactured by less known companies such as superlux.

Takstar PRO80 and HI2050 are the best headphones for 50-70usd I have ever heard. Compare those to similarly priced AKG K514, Sennheiser HD419 or Beyerdynamic DTX710. It is funny how bad those brand headphones are in comparison.

Like many people have said there is no best headphone company but if I had to name a company that makes great headphones for all prices, my pick would be audio technica. I have owned quite a few of their headphones from cheap m40fs to 500$ w1000x and I have never been disappointed. All products have been very competitive in their price ranges.

Dec 29, 2014 at 7:02 AM Post #29 of 54
  That is exactly the reason why I would avoid low end headphones from well known manufacturers. So far I have not heard affordable headphone by  Sennheiser, AKG  or Beyerdynamic that is comparable to best headphones manufactured by less known companies such as superlux.

Takstar PRO80 and HI2050 are the best headphones for 50-70usd I have ever heard. Compare those to similarly priced AKG K514, Sennheiser HD419 or Beyerdynamic DTX710. It is funny how bad those brand headphones are in comparison.

Like many people have said there is no best headphone company but if I had to name a company that makes great headphones for all prices, my pick would be audio technica. I have owned quite a few of their headphones from cheap m40fs to 500$ w1000x and I have never been disappointed. All products have been very competitive in their price ranges.

I'm glad you mention the HI2050 - I've heard other people say the same thing. I'm probably gonna buy them for my littlebrother for gaming.

Dec 29, 2014 at 11:49 AM Post #30 of 54

so what are the top 5 audiophile headphone companys?

I am trying to research them and their products.

thank you

Now you're just pushing the question. It doesn't take much to research this without asking on Head-Fi. There are many audiophile companies that make headphones, and the top five does not exist in this category.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back