Please help me, my studio monitors were stolen and I want a good pair of headphones now. (Merged)
Dec 29, 2014 at 8:26 PM Post #31 of 54
Out of all the headphones I tried out the Audio-Technica ATH-M50x  were the best.

Although the sennhiser 280 and 380 sounded a little bit better with the base, the build quality of the sens I didnt like. also no detachable headphone cord....

many of the headphones on display only 1 side worked because the cord couldnt be removed.

anyone have these headphones? Care to comment on the company?

Dec 29, 2014 at 8:29 PM Post #32 of 54
Great company for audio gear for headphones and mics etc.

We all have different ears. You can't go wrong with the ATH-M50x it's a fantastic studio monitor pair of headphones and if your ears enjoyed the sound for music listening as well then it's a WIN/WIN!

Congrats!

Dec 29, 2014 at 9:31 PM Post #33 of 54
  Great company for audio gear for headphones and mics etc.

We all have different ears. You can't go wrong with the ATH-M50x it's a fantastic studio monitor pair of headphones and if your ears enjoyed the sound for music listening as well then it's a WIN/WIN!

Congrats!

I see the Audio-Technica company has some audiophile headphones for around the same price as the ath-m50x

are these better?

Dec 29, 2014 at 10:22 PM Post #34 of 54

I see the Audio-Technica company has some audiophile headphones for around the same price as the ath-m50x

are these better?

The M50x is probably the best all-rounder under $200 for just ENJOYING THE MUSIC. ONe thing compared to the higherend AT models is the robust standard build quality. The higher end cans are on the flimsy side with the dual wire tensioning system and dual wing head rests, These are cans you baby and not work horse cans like the M50s are.

Having said that......when it comes to the upper end Audio Technica headphones you do get more refinement but you will need a high quality DAC and possibly find an amp thats a good match for YOUR EARS

Just read as many reviews as possible before making a decision.

With that being said the M50x is a good set of cans to add to or START a high quality headphone collection.

Dec 29, 2014 at 10:47 PM Post #35 of 54
  The M50x is probably the best all-rounder under $200 for just ENJOYING THE MUSIC. ONe thing compared to the higherend AT models is the robust standard build quality. The higher end cans are on the flimsy side with the dual wire tensioning system and dual wing head rests, These are cans you baby and not work horse cans like the M50s are.

Having said that......when it comes to the upper end Audio Technica headphones you do get more refinement but you will need a high quality DAC and possibly find an amp thats a good match for YOUR EARS

Just read as many reviews as possible before making a decision.

With that being said the M50x is a good set of cans to add to or START a high quality headphone collection.

if im going to be using it to mix down music, should I go with the monitor headphones, or audiophile selection?

I dont want to spend $150 and for maybe $100 more I could have gotten something better...

also, where can you test these headphones, do they have some kind of place to listen to them?

same ash many prosumer models.

guitar center didnt have any on display to hear

Dec 29, 2014 at 10:51 PM Post #36 of 54
I see these M50x I want have some kind of rare earth magnet for the drivers or something...

how important is this, and what should someone look out for if looking out for magnets on headphones?

Dec 30, 2014 at 12:41 AM Post #37 of 54
The magnets are what's used for the electromagnetism part of the speakers. So yes, it's important.  As for rare earth magnet, not too sure about the specialies of that.  

Dec 30, 2014 at 7:25 PM Post #38 of 54
"Rare earth metal" is just a marketing term. Usually the term is used for neodymium magnets, which are used by almost all headphones, even $5 ones.
The strength of the magnet is very important as it partly determines the speed and force at which the voice coil moves when current is passed though it. Good quality drivers can be recognized by their heavy weight due to big magnets.

Dec 31, 2014 at 10:21 AM Post #40 of 54
A strong and even magnetic gap is what's important, but the marketing brochures will rarely discuss that. A strong gap gives you efficiency and strains the amplifier less (which usually sounds better). An even magnetic flux reduces distortion. The actual kind of magnet used is meaningless.

Dec 31, 2014 at 7:33 PM Post #45 of 54
So I went to B&H today to test out headphones.

I test every single brand and model.

The best sounding headphone was the mo-fi blue headphones.

It sounded the best period.

I think it had alot to do with the built in amp.

I think I want to get these headphones for mixing.

does anyone have these headphones and care to comment?

One thing I did not like about them is that when you fold them the sound stops playing, it has some kind of sensor. I didnt want to buy it because they are still new and I wanted to research reviews about them

Users who are viewing this thread

Back