Please help me make a decision...!
Jul 28, 2008 at 1:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

kmanmx

100+ Head-Fier
I'm absolutely useless at this. I just cannot decide which headphone to buy.

So far i'm thinking between:

AKG K601
Audio Technica ATH-A700
" " ATH-D700
AKG K501
Beyerdynamic DT770

Basically i just can't decide, I like bass so i was thinking, DT770/A700 but then the DT770 could be to muddy, and i really want an Open headphone so that lead me to the ATH-AD700 but that's got serious lack in bass, so then i was tempted by the AKG K601 cus i think it would sound brilliant for orchestral, and acoustic based music (not rock) But then if i decide to listen to electronica or pop etc then it won't have the bass. I would only be using it with a Cmoy off ebay.

Anyone got any ideas, i would be listening to Acoustic (Newton faulkner, dire straights) and all the way to electronica (pendulum, scooter) I dont want really powerfulll bass. But i want adequate bass which doesn't leave me wanting more in bass songs, but i also want an easy to listen to non sibilant headphone with a good soundstage and airyness to the sound - my budget is £150 excluding amp.

See my problem ? any reccomendations (except grado, can't stand the uncomfort) and preferabley not sennheiser because anything lower than HD600 is ugly
tongue.gif

I dont mind if it's closed, but i just want that airyness and a good soundstage.

Jul 28, 2008 at 1:16 AM Post #2 of 12
A lot of people say the 501/701s don't have bass, although the 601s are supposed to be a bit better...and while I agree in general, it depends on what you're listening to.

Arch Enemy with 501s? No bottom end at all.

I:scintilla with 501s? Adequate bass, not what I'd call powerful enough, but definitely adequate.

Pendulum definitely suffers from the lack of bass.

However, if you're going to be using a cmoy, I'd say toss the 701 idea out. Very well might not have enough power to adequately drive the 701s.

Jul 28, 2008 at 1:23 PM Post #5 of 12
I listen to electronica using the K500 and its sounds fabulous. I would expect the K501 to be as good. Having said that, the K601 also sounds like it's worth a try...

Sorry, I'm not helping am I
biggrin.gif
? My money is on the K501.

Jul 28, 2008 at 1:25 PM Post #6 of 12
And about the K500's lack of bass? Well, I don't think it lacks bass. the ATH AD900 (and I presume the ATH AD700 as well) lacks bass, making it impossible to listen to rock etc. But with the K500 it's no problem. Bass isn't as present as with a Beyerdynamic, but it's textured, extended, balanced. I like it myself. It doesn't have that oomph, but then again I'm not looking for it.

Jul 28, 2008 at 1:38 PM Post #7 of 12
I have not had the opportunity to listen to all of the headphones you mentioned, but I have listened to the Ultrasone Proline 750s. They had very good bass. Might be worth checking into.

Jul 28, 2008 at 2:31 PM Post #8 of 12
But how do they sound with acoustic music, good soundstage etc ?

(same question to K501 and the Prolines)

on audioreview.com it's quite apparent that even non bass heads think it's lacking low end (K501) , and i think the Ultrasone's are out of my price range, i think it'll have to be ATH-A700 but i am worried that they have a poor soundstage and clarity, resolution etc.

Jul 28, 2008 at 3:00 PM Post #9 of 12
I have the K601, and use them to listen to all kinds of music. Including pop and rock. They are good all-arounders.
All the bass you need (really), mids in the right proportion, decent soundstage, treble is fine, not too bright.
Very balanced headphone that I can wholeheartly recommend.
They are in my opinion in the same league as the Sennheiser HD600.

Jul 28, 2008 at 5:14 PM Post #11 of 12
K500/K501 have a great soundstage. Pro 750 is OK'ish, nothing special. With acoustic music the K500 is unbelievable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back