Please help me find the best headphones for me.
Oct 15, 2007 at 2:10 AM Post #17 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by TravisNJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How bad is the Triport sound quality? Especially compared to Sony Stereo Headphones.

In general, a quick forum search on "Bose" or "triport" will unearth the degree to which they are hated around here. Compared to Sony, it really depends which model. Only a few of the cheaper Sony models carry any weight around here (primarily the V6, but a couple of others depending who you ask), but at least those would generally get rated above a Triport.

Oct 15, 2007 at 2:35 AM Post #18 of 30
I thought Bose TriPort, as my first non earbud headphones, were excellent, but after trying out ATH-AD900s for a week and going back, it literally sounded as if the band was performing in a bathroom. Awful. The highs hurt, the lows are muddy, just terrible, especially for the ridiculous price.

Oct 15, 2007 at 2:55 AM Post #19 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xenafor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I thought Bose TriPort, as my first non earbud headphones, were excellent, but after trying out ATH-AD900s for a week and going back, it literally sounded as if the band was performing in a bathroom. Awful. The highs hurt, the lows are muddy, just terrible, especially for the ridiculous price.

So maybe I should get the Triports and just never try another set of headphones
580smile.gif

Oct 15, 2007 at 3:04 AM Post #21 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xenafor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nono, for the price, you can get more comfortable, WAY better headphones, and at THAT point you should never try another set. Quit head-fi immediately.

I was just kidding, I'm definitely going to try and find a pair of the ATH-AD900s to try on.

Oct 15, 2007 at 3:25 AM Post #22 of 30
I gotta reiterate here - if isolation is an issue, and if you would still like to have a noise cancelling function (great in planes, trains and automobiles), then open 'phones like the ATH-AD series are simply NOT what you're looking for. They may sound wonderful tested against comparatively-priced closed cans, but you'll hear everything going on outside, and everyone will hear what you're listening to.

The ATH-ANC7 is very comfortable, isolates well, and sounds exceptionally good for a noise-cancelling headphone in it's retail price range (~$200). The fact that it is actually going for around $130 and comes with a nice semi-hard case and cool accessories like an airplane-specific adapter makes it a steal of a buy.

If noise cancelling is no biggie, spend you're money on closed versions of the cans everyone is recommending, like the ATH-A900. Audio Technica 'phones are a good place to start for their relatively balanced yet 'fun' sound.

I own the RP-21's and heartily recommend them, but with $150 you could probably get something a little better.

Oct 15, 2007 at 5:26 PM Post #26 of 30
Options that no one has mentioned are

iGrado
Grado SR 80
Audio Technica ES7

If you are only going to be using them inside, the Audio Technica A700, A900 (both closed), AD700, and AD900 (both open) phones are very very comfortable. They don't need an amp (and neither do the three above), but they are big and big looking.

For all around purposes you should read about the AT ES7. They run about $100, so you could also get a pair of KSC 75s for outside use and still be slightly under your budget.

Mooch

Oct 15, 2007 at 5:59 PM Post #27 of 30
For all around purposes you should read about the AT ES7. They run about $100, so you could also get a pair of KSC 75s for outside use and still be slightly under your budget.

I could not agree with you more. Have never regretted purchasing my ATH-ES7's. I myself would substitute PX100's for KCS-75's though.

Oct 17, 2007 at 9:59 PM Post #28 of 30
So I went to my near by music store and tried on a pair of the RP-22Xs and they were sick. I think I'm going to go with them.

Also getting myself a Creative X-Fi Xtreme Music card too, so very excited for the upgrade.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back