Please help me find the best headphones for me.
Oct 14, 2007 at 5:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

TravisNJ

New Head-Fier
I have very little knowledge of headphones, but for my birthday my parents are getting me a new pair of high quality headphones for my computer. I was suggested on a different forum to come here and ask my question.

I listen to mainly Jamaican Ska (Jamaican R&B) and American Rock/Pop.

Right now I use a pair of Sony Stereo Headphones and I've been looking at the Bose Around The Ear Triports (Very comfortable and great customer service).

My price limit is around $150.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Oct 14, 2007 at 7:12 PM Post #2 of 30
Depends on what you're looking for...

long, straight cord? ... or long, coily cord?
how much impact in bass would you like?
do you have/want an amp?
can you leak noise in and out for a more open sound?

I'd go with ATH-AD700 if the price limit was strict, but I'd rather splurge and get the ATH-AD900 if that was the only can I could get.

Only other can I desire besides ATH-AD900, is the DT770 or DT770 upgraded to Darth Beyer. Everything you'll ever need would be in those two headphones - the former is open; the latter is closed.

Oct 14, 2007 at 7:21 PM Post #3 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by grndslm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Depends on what you're looking for...

long, straight cord? ... or long, coily cord?
how much impact in bass would you like?
do you have/want an amp?
can you leak noise in and out for a more open sound?

I'd go with ATH-AD700 if the price limit was strict, but I'd rather splurge and get the ATH-AD900 if that was the only can I could get.

Only other can I desire besides ATH-AD900, is the DT770 or DT770 upgraded to Darth Beyer. Everything you'll ever need would be in those two headphones - the former is open; the latter is closed.

Cord type doesn't matter to me. I want the best well rounded headphone that my money can get me. I do not have any amp, I run it out of my computers sound card (which I'm looking to upgrade) and I'm thinking about buying a pocket-pre amp.

I'd like to have them "around the ear" and noise cancelling.

Oct 14, 2007 at 7:35 PM Post #4 of 30
Whatever you do, stay away from the Triports - Bose makes atrocious-sounding headphones. If you want noise-cancelling, try the Audio Technica ATH-ANC7s. They're a very snug around-the-ear (unless you have big ears), but isolate and noise-cancel well, while retaining good sound. If I remember correctly they go for around $130 on Amazon.com

Oct 14, 2007 at 11:23 PM Post #6 of 30
Without an amp Sennheiser HD595 is another good option. It's an open headphone though so it leaks some sound.

Oct 14, 2007 at 11:25 PM Post #7 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by TravisNJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd like to have them "around the ear" and noise cancelling.

If we tell you that no noise-canceling headphone on the market sounds very good compared to conventional headphones at the same price point, or even a lower price point, then do you still want noise canceling? How about if we mention that some closed headphones will cut a lot of outside noise without adding any sound-quality ruining active cancellation signal?

For your music, preferences, and budget, how about a Beyer DT770 pro with the 80 Ohm drivers? (there are other drivers available too) An Audio-Technica A700 (NOT an AD700, which is open) might also do nicely. Or how about save your parents some cash and get the new Equation Audio RP-21, or 22 if you want strong bass? They're all the rage now.

Oct 14, 2007 at 11:47 PM Post #8 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by facelvega /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If we tell you that no noise-canceling headphone on the market sounds very good compared to conventional headphones at the same price point, or even a lower price point, then do you still want noise canceling? How about if we mention that some closed headphones will cut a lot of outside noise without adding any sound-quality ruining active cancellation signal?

For your music, preferences, and budget, how about a Beyer DT770 pro with the 80 Ohm drivers? (there are other drivers available too) An Audio-Technica A700 (NOT an AD700, which is open) might also do nicely. Or how about save your parents some cash and get the new Equation Audio RP-21, or 22 if you want strong bass? They're all the rage now.

The Noise canceling is not a high priority, comfort is though. I don't need extremely strong bass.

And to the person who said something about trying them on, I agree, thats why I've been leaning towards the Triports. They are very comfortable and I thought the sound was great.

I'd definitely want to try whatever I'm going to get on before I buy them and thats why I'm having trouble comparing.

Oct 15, 2007 at 12:04 AM Post #9 of 30
Triports are comfy, but they can easily be beat for sound quality, and it's generally considered a scandal around here that they cost so much for their middling level of performance. The headphones I mentioned are also considered to be quite comfortable, especially the DT770.

Oct 15, 2007 at 1:15 AM Post #11 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by facelvega /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Triports are comfy, but they can easily be beat for sound quality, and it's generally considered a scandal around here that they cost so much for their middling level of performance. The headphones I mentioned are also considered to be quite comfortable, especially the DT770.

How bad is the Triport sound quality? Especially compared to Sony Stereo Headphones.

Oct 15, 2007 at 1:23 AM Post #12 of 30
My RP-21's blew them away. I think they would be a great option for you. Closed with great isolation and great sound. $100 new. Less used. Check on their site and you can maybe even find a local seller who sells for less. My friend found a shop that sold them for $79 new (those jerks told me they didn't carry it when I called :< ) Definitely great headphones.

Oct 15, 2007 at 1:33 AM Post #13 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by kpeezy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My RP-21's blew them away. I think they would be a great option for you. Closed with great isolation and great sound. $100 new. Less used. Check on their site and you can maybe even find a local seller who sells for less. My friend found a shop that sold them for $79 new (those jerks told me they didn't carry it when I called :< ) Definitely great headphones.

A place a town over apparently carries those, I might go check em out tomorrow. Are they comfortable?

Thanks for the input guys.

Oct 15, 2007 at 1:55 AM Post #15 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by TravisNJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A place a town over apparently carries those, I might go check em out tomorrow. Are they comfortable?

Thanks for the input guys.

They're slightly clamping (painful), but good headphones overall, especially for the price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back