Please help me find a "good" cd player
Feb 8, 2005 at 9:08 AM Post #31 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr.Vencman
I just got the CORDA HA-2 and Beyer 880's but the sound is pretty bad. I am 99% sure it is the source but I didn't think it could sound this bad??? It's a cheap cd player from Sony about, $150 or even less. Is it pretty obvious what I need to do here? New cd player right!? I know the 880 are very revealing of source and I guess they are just telling me "see, told you!" Although Portishead does sound rather good right now....

"Burn in" would hep too, yes?

I would really appreciate your help or suggestions, budget for CDP is about $600+-.

The source really does play a major role. I have an Arcam FMJ CD33 player, but I once sent it to get repaired, because problems with the remote. Not the remote control, but the receiver in the player. I got a Marantz CD5200 player from the dealer to use while the Arcam was repaired. It's costs about the same as your Sony, but it has got good reviews in that price class. A local magazine rated it #1 in the <250€ price class.

The first impressions when I started listening with this players was very bad. I thought there was something wrong with player. It just sounded so awful compared to what I was used to. It was a pain to listen when I knew that that wasn't how it was supposed to sound.

So I really recommend a source upgrade for you. Unfortunately, the source is the most expansive component in a headphone set. Phones are cheaper than speakers, and head amps are cheaper than speaker amps, but you won't save on sources.

With your budget Cambridge Audio 640C or Arcam CD73 could be nice options, but I would raise your budget to 1000$ if possible.

Feb 8, 2005 at 12:59 PM Post #32 of 35
I will not be returning my headphone amp or Beyer 880's. It just wouldn't be fair since I've now heard what a good source can do. I can get the Rega for about $800 which is the MOST I can afford. Although the Cyrus can be upgradable from the Cyrus CD 6 to CD 8. Which is pretty neat, no? I just send it back for an upgrade to their top model.

So now it's basically this, the better my source the better my sound. $$$
cool.gif

And I gotta compare the two, Cyrus which is more detailed and accurate, and the Rega which should be more warm or "musical". These are the two I can really audition a lot and are in my price range.

Feb 8, 2005 at 10:09 PM Post #33 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr.Vencman
Then he suggested I try some RCA cables he had. I didn't think cables could make such a big difference! We're talking high-end cables though. $$$

I don't feel you have to spend overly exorbitant amounts on ICs; of course, that depends on one's definition of "overly exorbitant". You might want to try out Chris VenHaus' ICs, excellent bang-for-buck. If you search AudioCircles and AudioGon, you'll see some nice comments about these ICs; there are reviews on the VH site as well. Best of luck.

Feb 10, 2005 at 5:18 AM Post #34 of 35
Get a Toshiba SD-9200 / SD-900E and be done with it. Amazing CD playback, HDCD decoding and DVD-Audio in one. Bloody cheap too these days (can be had for under $500 if you look in the right spot). Find one and you won't be dissapointed.

Feb 10, 2005 at 4:36 PM Post #35 of 35
Well, I've just bought a Cyrus CD6 and I am very glad I did. I love the detail this bad boy has
smily_headphones1.gif
the Rega just didn't appeal to me.

And I am going to get better cables next month as it is really a shame to use the cheap cables I have ($15) with this player after hearing what better cables can do. I also got the newest edition with an improved chasis and "black brush finish". All I can say now is that I am glad I listened to you guys.

Thank you all!

(Anyone want a Sony CD player?)
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back