Please help me find a "good" cd player
Feb 4, 2005 at 4:50 PM Post #16 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr.Vencman
Me and my stupid crappy source.
mad.gif
rolleyes.gif

Honestly I think you'll have more difficult time differentiating 'oompf' between cdps than between amps. Even for a longer run comparison, more likely you'll notice smoother highs or better 'coherency' of music with your cdp of choice - but more oompf is not one of the traits that can be easily heard, as it's the amp's job to do that properly.

Interesting problem ... since my opinion is also strong against getting a better source, maybe you'd like to try your 880 on other system to pinpoint root of the problem before actually spending real money.

Unless you're dead set in getting a better cdp - in which I agree that you will get quite noticable sonic improvement from your sony. As I said my preference is on Rotel and then NAD. Can you get Rega cdp over there ?

Feb 4, 2005 at 6:20 PM Post #17 of 35
Thanks for still trying to help me out. Yes, I can get the Rega planet 2000 for example. I would have to get it from the US, (upscaleaudio.com?) The dollar has gone down in value quite a bit so it might be a good idea. That player was also on my list btw.

I think the Sony CDP is worse than you think. I tried my cans at a friends house without my headphone amp but the sound was "better". That was using a Sounblaster Value card and an amp...

Feb 4, 2005 at 6:37 PM Post #18 of 35
Quote:

I think the Sony CDP is worse than you think. I tried my cans at a friends house without my headphone amp but the sound was "better". That was using a Sounblaster Value card and an amp...

LOL ... then a better cdp will be money well spent, reagrdless of 880. =)

Feb 4, 2005 at 11:45 PM Post #19 of 35
Quote:

Aren't the 880's slightly on the bright side too?? If anything I think I need more "oompf" in the bass area. I just read that the CD6000 line has very, very good reviews. I am not sure if the 7300 is "expensive" enough. I'm gonna need a BIG improvement with the sound I currently have. To be honest it really sounds horrible right now.

Me and my stupid crappy source.
mad.gif
rolleyes.gif

You mentioned the NAD c542. I have one and I can report that it is slightly warm in sound with strong bass. Mine pairs well with the DT880. Any change you might be able to audition the cdps you're considering?

BW

Feb 5, 2005 at 12:50 AM Post #20 of 35
Everybody on Head-Fi is probably laughing at me now.
icon10.gif

Or is it more like
rolleyes.gif

The NAD c542 I could definately audition and will. Not sure about the others but will try. Easy to bring headphones along.

One thing that REALLY has me concerned. When I use the Corda HA2 with any of my awful sources, there is no improvement at all. Is it really just because it can't make crap sound any better?

Feb 5, 2005 at 1:13 AM Post #21 of 35
Quote:

Or is it more like

No one on Head-Fi is laughing at you. We've all travelled the road you're on and understand the dilemma that system upgrades can create.
Quote:

One thing that REALLY has me concerned. When I use the Corda HA2 with any of my awful sources, there is no improvement at all. Is it really just because it can't make crap sound any better?

Look at it this way. With the Corda you're getting the best quality crap your sources can provide.
wink.gif
Take the Corda, your headphones and a couple CDs and go audition some better sources. Better yet, see if you can get a home audition.

Good luck,

BW

Feb 5, 2005 at 6:48 AM Post #22 of 35
Quote:

icon10.gif

Or is it more like
rolleyes.gif

The NAD c542 I could definately audition and will. Not sure about the others but will try. Easy to bring headphones along.

Nobody is laughing at you. Remember all headfiers had to start somewhere.

An amp basically help you listen to the music as best it can portray it. It can't make a crap music sound like good music. If the Corda shows no improvement then maybe it's telling you the amp is delivering the best possible sound it can "deliver" within the context of your source. Once you hear a source that's good with your setup then you can build from it. Identify the key areas you hope to achieve/improve.

Feb 5, 2005 at 2:29 PM Post #23 of 35
Another vote for the NAD 541i. These can be found for $300 brand new and, except for being just a touch shy at the low end, are great cd players. Best deal going.

Feb 5, 2005 at 2:42 PM Post #24 of 35
Quote:

Perhaps I am suffering from mud-ears syndrome, but my el-cheapo Philips portable cdp sounds at least decent through my Stax setup. The difference to my Denon DCD-685 (not high-end by any means) is small.

Relax. Enjoy and get used to the sound of your new phones. Try not to think your source is crap (just because you believe you should think so). It is very easy to get lost in the audiophile fantasy land.

Regards,

L.

Feb 6, 2005 at 2:44 AM Post #25 of 35
Well thanks again for the advice. I am aiming for a particular high end sound and is only what I want, (within realistic expectations though.) I don't want to have to "have to make due" with what I have. But I wont keep going on about this until I get a better source.

If I use my CDP and hook it up to my Corda it sounds almost the same as when I use my Technics amp and CDP using the headphone out on the Technics amp. See where I'm getting at? You must admit it's a little...dissapointing.

But again, I won't go on about it. Time for some auditioning, NAD's, Rega, Marantz etc.

Feb 7, 2005 at 10:05 PM Post #27 of 35
edit

Feb 7, 2005 at 11:29 PM Post #28 of 35
My two cents: I bought a $125 Sony CDP-375 about a year ago, and it has HORRIBLE sonics. Yes, the sound is clear and the detail can be very exciting, but instruments do not sound like instruments. Strings, in particular, are screechy. The player also sounds very, very congested during busy passages, and the soundstaging is completely flat. So, my guess is that your source is a problem (if not THE problem).

I've heard NAD and Rotel players, and I think the NAD players sound slightly opaque in comparison. Both brands, however, are musical and would be a big improvement over a cheap Sony CDP, IMHO

Jeffery

Feb 8, 2005 at 12:23 AM Post #29 of 35
Could be that they need to be burned in or the amp+cans don't mate well? Also, i listened to the 880's a long while back and my recollection is that i didn't care for them at all. Try a new source and if that doesn't work, get rid of them (the Beyer's). Sometimes you gotta try various headphones before finding the right one.

Feb 8, 2005 at 3:23 AM Post #30 of 35
Well, here is what has been happening. I decided to get off my lazy butt and pay a visit to a HIFI store very close to me. It turned out that the sales rep was probably the nicest and most easy going person I have ever met
smily_headphones1.gif

I asked him if he had any of "these and those" CD players. Ended up trying the Rotel RCD-02. Good improvement. Then he suggested I try some RCA cables he had. I didn't think cables could make such a big difference! We're talking high-end cables though. $$$

So I said, what's the next step up? He had a cyrus CD 6 which I tried. Now we're talking
lambda.gif

Before I knew it I had spend an hour in there. I was just about to leave when I noticed he had the Rega Planet 2000. He talked about it and compared it to the Cyrus. Then he said "wanna try it?" But I just had to get out of there. My God this is addictive stuff you guys are into! And expensive!

Oh yeah, and before I could even listen to anything, he saw my Beyer 880's and he said, "cool, can I try these?"
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back