Please help me find a good budget DAC!
Jun 25, 2009 at 7:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

doping panda

100+ Head-Fier
So, right now I'm in a bit of money jam right now. I was in the process of upgrading my rig, but I just learned today that my financial aid won't be coming in for two weeks. So, instead of using the money I was going to make selling some gear to help me pay for the dac, I have to use it to pay for rent and food for the next two weeks since I don't want to ask my parents for money since their budget has been a bit tight lately as well
frown.gif
. If I sell all the gear I have on me right now besides my K500, I should have at least enough money to buy a dac in the $100 range. After doing some research, I think the main contenders would be the Gamma-Lite and maybe an Audio Alchemy dac if one comes up. The Bantam DAC might be a possibility as well if there's not too much difference between the Gamma-Lite and a Bantam. I'm planning to pair the dac with a PPAv2 I have coming in from another head-fier which would be feeding a K500. The PPA is known to be a pretty transparent and ruthless amp though so I wonder if any of these options would be good for it and a K500. Thanks for the help, guys!

Jun 25, 2009 at 12:51 PM Post #4 of 16
If you just need USB input the Gamma 1 lite has an incredible value and is easily in your price range.
You will get a clear, balanced and detailed sound that is far better than any normal PC sound card.
Just shoot MisterX a message to get a quote.

Jun 25, 2009 at 2:56 PM Post #5 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Gamma1 is considerably better than the BantamDAC and considering the USB version can be had for about $75, it's a steal.

I would not say 'considerably' as they are both budget mostly single chip off-the-shelf implementations of dacs.

I've rmaa tested both and they are very very close. I even wonder if people could tell DBT.

the deciding factor is i/o: do you want usb-only (bantam) or full i/o assortment (coax, opto, usb) which is the y1.

I swap between them and the bantam mutes better on non-lock spdif and the bantam is slightly lower in output voltage. the y1 can also drive phones directly (to some extent) where the bantam MUST have a separate amp stage.

both are very quiet and very low distortion. there are some freq response diffs and intermod diffs but they are not day and nite (test equip stuff but not 'ears stuff' imho)

Jun 25, 2009 at 3:36 PM Post #6 of 16
I have a Beresford TC7520 which I quite like, but others I really would like to try/would have considered more strongly in retrospect: Lite DAC-AH, VALAB NOS DAC, Emu-0404, Audio-GD Compass.

Jun 25, 2009 at 4:13 PM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by LingLing1337 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a Beresford TC7520 which I quite like, but others I really would like to try/would have considered more strongly in retrospect: Lite DAC-AH, VALAB NOS DAC, Emu-0404, Audio-GD Compass.

emu0404s DAC is not that good
tongue_smile.gif

Jun 25, 2009 at 4:38 PM Post #8 of 16
funny that a beresford fanboy is throwing dirt against a WELL RESPECTED dac.

the 0404 was designed by a professinal audio company. I have NO confidence in TEC and even less in that B guy.

sup, you really are losing cred with each post you make. do you even KNOW what dac chip the 0404 has in it? google 'transporter miracle dac' and then tell me the 0404 is 'not that good'.

again, 0404 is test gear quality. AMB uses it for his rmaa testing and so do I (and so do others).

your posts make you seem like you know nothing.

edit: read this post:

http://forums.slimdevices.com/archiv...p/t-36024.html

Jun 25, 2009 at 5:24 PM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by linuxworks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
funny that a beresford fanboy is throwing dirt against a WELL RESPECTED dac.

the 0404 was designed by a professinal audio company. I have NO confidence in TEC and even less in that B guy.

sup, you really are losing cred with each post you make. do you even KNOW what dac chip the 0404 has in it? google 'transporter miracle dac' and then tell me the 0404 is 'not that good'.

again, 0404 is test gear quality. AMB uses it for his rmaa testing and so do I (and so do others).

your posts make you seem like you know nothing.

edit: read this post:

Miracle DAC [Archive] - Squeezebox : Community : Forums

lol dude are you ****ting me? have you heard any of them? I did a comparison between the two. 7520 was the one I liked more. Stop trolling

Edit: beresford fanboy... go bark on his site if you dislike him that much

Jun 25, 2009 at 5:41 PM Post #11 of 16
I'm gonna make the noob mistake and tout something I own having not heard any other DAC... the E-MU 0404 USB. I do this without shame because I scored one on eBay for $99 new... sounds awesome and I got it for a song... and it has a serviceable headphone amp.

Jun 25, 2009 at 6:30 PM Post #12 of 16
I think EMU 0404's reputation speaks for itself, the odd negative post here and there cannot really put a dent on thousands of rave reviews.

EMU 0202 is worth considering in the 100$ range, I have had it for a while now, and I still dont find it completely outclassed by better DAC's, I can still go back to it and enjoy its output without missing too much. The only issue is , its USB only, no Digi outs or ins.

Jun 25, 2009 at 8:05 PM Post #13 of 16
Thanks for the replies, guys. I'm probably either getting a Gamma Lite or an Emu-0404 provided I can find it for about $100 which it does show up for every now and then. Which one do you guys feel would work better with a PPAv2 with 2x OP637 in the channels and 1x OP627 for the ground? I'll be using a K500, an HF2(in a few months), and maybe an HD580/HD600 if I can find a good price for them with the setup.

Quote:

Originally Posted by LingLing1337 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I actually owned a Compass and it was one of the things I sold to fund upgrades, but then the financial aid situation came up so I couldn't buy the DAC I was originally planning to buy. At any rate, I don't need a headphone amp since I have a PPAv2 coming soon.

Jun 25, 2009 at 8:38 PM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by .Sup /img/forum/go_quote.gif
lol dude are you ****ting me? have you heard any of them? I did a comparison between the two. 7520 was the one I liked more. Stop trolling

I build dacs and amps. I know the technology. I don't need to listen to know what's what in this field.

anyone saying the B-thing dac is anything special is a shill or uninformed.

(which is it with you, btw?)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back