PLEASE HELP ME DECIDE BETWEEN SA6 AND TRIPLE.FI
Apr 12, 2008 at 10:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

RLZEPP

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone,

I'm brand new to this site but have been an IEM enthusiast for many years.
I've owned several sets over the years but the two that I currently use are E-500PTH and .5pros. I usually use my UEs more because I find them more appealing (fun) to listen to.

I just migrated from the Samsung / Cowon / iRiver world to Zune (I have an 8gb and an 80gb).

I'm in the market to purchase another set of IEMs and was set to buy the Triples when I discovered this site and the great response to SA6.

I listen to all types of music but mostly jazz, alternative and electronic dance (VanDyk / Moby).

I really like the more dynamic / live sound of UE (compared to my Shure's) but I'm concerned about the Triple.fi fit.

Also, as I am now a 2nd gen Zune owner (no EQ), the SA6 may be the better fit. I've also heard that the SA6 are very "musical" compared to other IEMs.

Sorry about the long email, but I wanted to give enough of my own background for you to formulate a recommendation.

What would you recommend? Are both in the same league?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Apr 12, 2008 at 10:44 PM Post #2 of 8
buy both and audition for 30 days and return one. Or keep both. The Triples are a bit better than the Sleek--and I own both--but are a challenge to get a good fit. But once you DO get a good fit, they're wonderful.

Sleeks are also quite good and totally customizable. So, buy both, see which one you prefer, and return the other one

Apr 13, 2008 at 6:34 AM Post #4 of 8
I am currently auditioning a pair of M-AUDIO IE-40 earphones, which are a rebrand of the venerable Ultimate Ears Triple.fi 10 Pro. My current reference is a pair of Sleek Audio SA6, so you're in luck that I happen to be comparing these two head to head right now.

Here are some initial thoughts of mine comparing these two. Just to put things into perspective, I'm using the treble= and bass+ ports on my SA6 with the stock biflanges and the stock single flanges on the IE-40 (which I found work best for me comfort- and sound-wise).

The edge in resolution goes slightly to the IE-40. I can tell that the SA6 is a bit grainy at times in comparison. The IE-40 also pumps out more bass, but it doesn't necessarily hit harder. Both have the same amount of "punch", but the weight of the punch is heavier with the IE-40. Its bass is more filled in and is almost apparent at all times in comparison (it also makes it sound a little "slower" than the SA6).

In general, the IE-40's sound signature is more warm and upfront. When comparing these two, the IE-40 is more forward and fills in the entire space around you with music. When listening to the SA6, it gives an illusion that there's a little space around you, and it reminds me of a little of an open-air headphone sound. Sound comes from further away (as compared to the IE-40) and is in general somewhat less fatiguing.

Comfort wise is no contest. The SA6 is undoubtedly more comfortable, especially for longer listening sessions. I and many others have been fortunate to find out that the stock biflanges are magical in that they provide a perfect seal very quickly and easily. They are very comfortable to boot and keeps the seal well even when tugged on. Now it seems a good number of people have troubles getting a seal with certain IEMs (like Ultimate Ears or Klipsch 'phones) but I have had no troubles attaining seals with any of the IEMs I've tried. Almost all the tips also work for me, which is quite nice. It might be because I have smaller ear canals? I'm not sure. I can listen to the IE-40 for a decent amount of time, but after about an hour of constant listening, a little pain starts setting in (note: I have not tried the new Complys, haven't decided whether I like the sound signature of the IE-40 enough to keep them yet). I modded some Shure black olive foamies to fit onto there, and again, no troubles with seal. However, the highs became somewhat muffled and everything began to sound more dark, which made me reminisce the Shure E500PTH that I had previous (and didn't like too much because of the sound signature). It was definitely more comfortable, but still not to the level of the SA6.

One nice attribute that the SA6 has over most IEMs is the fact that it can be worn both over the ear and just straight down. I find that this is actually quite useful and I now seem to take it for granted. The IE-40 has a memory wire that loops around your ear and it's just not as quick, easy, and convenient to always have to send the huge earphone pieces into your ear at a certain angle, then wrap the memory wire around your ear. It's not a huge concern for me, but something that I became very fond of not worrying about with the SA6's.

I don't have any good sources to really test how clean the highs can go, but I actually found that the SA6 with treble- ports (minus treble) didn't take away too much from the highs but also made it sound darker. In fact, it sounded closer to the IE-40, except it still had that "further away" sound presentation. I think I tend to prefer that sound presentation over the more upfront filled-in sound because I grew up listening to Koss open clip-on headphones and Klipsch speakers. I've gotten very used to having that space and air around me.

Bottom line (initially): To sum up (this went longer than expected), the IE-40 has bigger bass and bigger, smoother sound in general. The SA6 sounds less like headphones and sounds somewhat more distant (but the bass still punches quite hard). It also sounds brighter when using treble=, +, or ++ ports, like as if giving you breath of fresh air.
tongue.gif
The SA6 is much more comfortable, but your mileage may vary.

Apr 13, 2008 at 7:33 AM Post #5 of 8
Good post, Peter.

I am also planning to get Triple.fi too, now I know what to be expected when comparing it to SA6. Not that I don't like my SA6, just that I think it is time for me to get some multi-ways IEM to complete my universal IEM journey
biggrin.gif

Apr 13, 2008 at 4:49 PM Post #6 of 8
Great post Peter.

I'm considering the SA6 but in the pictures I've seen all the chrome colored bits, particularly the one on the right angle jack just looks very cheesy. Does this actually look better in person?

Apr 13, 2008 at 5:41 PM Post #7 of 8
I'm looking into these same options as well.

Can I say that the SA6 sounds thinner in comparison?

Besides more powerful bass and smoother sound, what else would the $90 give me?
biggrin.gif

Apr 13, 2008 at 6:14 PM Post #8 of 8
Thank you very much everyone!

Peter: I couldn't have asked for a more complete reply. You provided great responses of all of my questions! Based upon the info you gave, I might end up deciding on the SA6 for it's comfort and ability to customize.

However, it looks like my best option is to take them both out for a test drive.

Has anyone heard of "what's next" for UE? I would hate to decide on the Triple and then have the latest greatest come out a month later.

As a side note, I'm pleasantly surprised with my 2nd gen Zunes (8gb and 80gb). The sound quality, form factor, UI, screen (I haven't used the Podcast feature extensively yet) etc.. is a lot better than I expected. They have become my new favorite devices. Before I bought into the Zune concept I was using a D2 when I travel and a Samsung T9 at the gym. I still think both are awesome, but I'm having more fun with the new ones.

Even with no EQ, I prefer it to the new Sony NWZ-728. I've been testing them side / side for the last couple of days (with E500 and .5pro) and have determined that the Zune soundstage is much larger without losing detail.

Thanks again!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back