Please help me choose headphones
Nov 24, 2002 at 6:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

cosmo

Head-Fier
I posted something like this in the headwize forums, but didn't get too much of a response, and would like to see what you all suggest at this site.

I need to get a nice new pair of headphones, with the max price somewhere around the $150 range. I currently own a cheap pair of Sony MDR-60 headphones, which really don't have a good range of sound at all (they were $20...at least they aren't that uncomfortable!)
Can someone please recommend a pair of headphones that do most of the following? I listed a lot of specifics to make it easier for all you audiophiles to give me some precise advice

* Nice wide range of sound, good for alternative, ska, orchestral classical, jazz, etc. I want some bass (unlike my current pair), but I don't want an excess of bass that would make the medium and high ranges seem weak in comparison. I definetly don't want a muddy sound, and would instead like a crisp and clear sound which at the same time is smooth and full. The headphones should be able to provide the bass when necessary, but should be controled so it isn't too boomy. I also intend to use these headphones with games

* I would like it if the headphones weren't the kind that press really tightly against the ear, and I would probably like something that comfortably surrounds the ear rather than one that doesn't even fully cover the ear. Comfort is important sinceI use headphones for many hours each day.

* I listen to many MP3s, and it would be nice if the headphones weren't too revealing about the quality of the MP3. However, this isn't too important to me, since I want to buy headphones which have high quality sound, which requires a high quality sound source unlike MP3.

* The headphones will be almost exclusively used on the headphone port on my notebook (I assume this is amplified, as the laptop has speakers, so I guess the headphone is amplified too, it can get loud) as well as a amplifier I use with my game console. I don't intend to use these with just a discman, or unamplified.

* These will be used in a relatively quiet home environment

* I've heard good things about many brands, and am really confused about which one would be best for my purposes

Since you all are more knowledgeable about headphones than I am, I'm interested to see what you all recommend.

Thanks!

Nov 24, 2002 at 6:53 PM Post #2 of 16
Consider:
Beyerdynamic DT250-80
Ultrasone HFI-650

Use the search feature to find more info. on either of these and they can be purchased at www.meier-audio.com .

Nov 24, 2002 at 7:42 PM Post #3 of 16
im not really sure of your needs but i have the sennheiser hd280 pro's and i love em
smily_headphones1.gif

seems to be a very well rounded phone + isolation

vandit

Nov 24, 2002 at 8:21 PM Post #4 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by cosmo
* Nice wide range of sound, good for alternative, ska, orchestral classical, jazz, etc. I want some bass (unlike my current pair), but I don't want an excess of bass that would make the medium and high ranges seem weak in comparison. I definetly don't want a muddy sound, and would instead like a crisp and clear sound which at the same time is smooth and full. The headphones should be able to provide the bass when necessary, but should be controled so it isn't too boomy. I also intend to use these headphones with games

* I would like it if the headphones weren't the kind that press really tightly against the ear, and I would probably like something that comfortably surrounds the ear rather than one that doesn't even fully cover the ear. Comfort is important sinceI use headphones for many hours each day.

* The headphones will be almost exclusively used on the headphone port on my notebook (I assume this is amplified, as the laptop has speakers, so I guess the headphone is amplified too, it can get loud) as well as a amplifier I use with my game console. I don't intend to use these with just a discman, or unamplified.

Thanks!

Sounds like you need a pair of Philips HP890s. It possesses the widest soundstage and most visceral bass(without sounding boomy) of any open headphone I have used. It is easily powered due to high sensitivity and has extremely comfortable ear pads. The fit is circumaural so it sit completely around your ears and the headband is self-adjusting. The overall presentation is pretty neutral and the price is around $100USD. You can check them out here:
http://www.meier-audio.com/

Nov 24, 2002 at 10:40 PM Post #6 of 16
I was quite pleased when I tried the Sennheiser HD 590. They are a comfortable open phone that seems to fit your needs quite well. They are pretty eficient and have 120ohms of impeidance, which sounds like a lot next to your average ~32 ohm cheaper phones (not all phones with low impeidance are cheap, but most cheap phones have low imp..) but they are eficient and work as well as can be expected with portable gear and sound cards. You can also find them at meier audio. I will probbaly get a pare for my self, along with a corda HA-1 from meier audio soon after christmas. I wold have done it sooner, but some expenses cropped up. You know how it goes.. You can also get the HD 580 from www.newegg.com quite cheap (cheap by what they normaly cost) and they are also very popular, even unamped, even though they want an amp more than the 590s do. There are a lot of options. The more research you do the more over-wheling it becomes. Try to find stores where you can try out phones that catch your eye during on-line searches like this.

Nov 24, 2002 at 11:46 PM Post #7 of 16
I second DarkWolf's recommendations. Given your needs, I'd recommend the Sennheiser HD-590s. For a more refined sound (requires amp), go for the 580's. If you don't want to get an amp, you'll be very happy with the 590's.

Nov 25, 2002 at 3:06 AM Post #8 of 16
Thanks for the suggestions so far...

I have a dell laptop...is the headphone jack on that considered an amp? Will these headphones that you all are mentioning work fine plugged into the headphone port of the laptop (remember, the laptop has built in speakers, so I would think somewhere in this thing is an amp, and if there is, the headphone jack may also be amplified)

I heard something about the sennheisers having sound which is sometimes too smooth...is this true? Would the sennheisers still let me hear the "rough, abrasive like, higher pitched 'edge'" which brass instruments have, or would it be smoothed out too much by the senheisers? Would the other headphones mentioned let me hear this?

Basically, I want to hear all ranges of the sound, and not have one frequency "overpower" the other frequencies too much.

Nov 25, 2002 at 3:38 AM Post #9 of 16
comeon guys, you'll next be talking about amps and cables... there's NO way his laptop is gonna drive the senn's. not every situation calls for senn 280/497/580/590/600's.

blighty - how do the sbc 890's compare to the sbc hp910? (yeah, i read the reviews weeks ago when i was considering the hp890's, i just can't remember).

i use grado sr80's to listen to mp3's. but i have since found them unacceptable - the band is wrong, the foam is wrong, the seal is wrong, the angling is wrong... but they are easily driven by a soundblaster card. and for mp3's they sound good. but you gotta play with placement.

and while i love the beyer dt831's their 250 ohm impedence will probably overdrive the laptop. someone will probably suggest dt250-80 or dt250-50's. i will defer to their recommendations, as i have not heard these.

Nov 25, 2002 at 3:44 AM Post #10 of 16
The beyer dt250-80 seems to fit you perfectly.
I used to use them and hook them straight to my toshiba laptop headphone jack.
Nice sound, very well balanced, tend to be abit on the dark sound though, nice bass, smooth midrange.
Very comfy pads too.. I can wear them for hours.

Nov 25, 2002 at 6:22 AM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by wallijonn
comeon guys, you'll next be talking about amps and cables... there's NO way his laptop is gonna drive the senn's. not every situation calls for senn 280/497/580/590/600's.

wallijonn:

Ignoring for the moment any preferences for or against the Senns, the HD 280, HD 497, and HD 590 are all very easy to drive, and will sound just fine with a laptop. Out of those, I would take the HD 497, simply because the other two are likely to sound pretty harsh, but only because of the low quality of the sound card (the 497 will smooth that out a bit).

Nov 25, 2002 at 6:40 AM Post #12 of 16
you should check the quality of your headphone jack before to buy everything. Ok, that's amplified but more like a pcdp. The quality of the sound card could also be bad enough to make a >100$ headphone a real waste of money. The one I've got on my Compaq is pretty crappy but the jack of my roomate's Toshiba is just correct (just the contrary for the speakers btw). If your jack isn't at least a bit correct, a good pair of headphones won't give you anything more. At the contrary, I can't stand listening mp3 with my pair of HD497 (even that's not top of line cans), these are too revealing.

So, if your headphone jack is deficient, there are two way to go :

- find the best you can to use on this, I would simply go with pair of Porta Pro, that's what I use with my laptop now and that's not bad at all, comfortable.
- buy a usb powered card as the sonica (about 79$) or a pcmcia card as the echo indigo (about 120$ but with amp in it), and a better pair of cans. It could lead you far above your budget.

If your headphone jack is good, I would go for a pair of HD497. Not because I've got a pair to sell
biggrin.gif
but because they're really good in all kind of music and easily driven. They sound great with the laptop in my roomate. They will take the best of your basic system.

Nov 25, 2002 at 10:08 AM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by 00940
- find the best you can to use on this, I would simply go with pair of Porta Pro, that's what I use with my laptop now and that's not bad at all, comfortable.

Currently, I also own a pair of Koss TD/75, which are uncomfortable to wear, as well as crap for sound quality. I don't really like koss that much, as stuff I buy from them usually breaks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back