Please help me choose between the HD650 and the HE-400?
Oct 23, 2012 at 11:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

TimBlanchard

Head-Fier
Hey, 

I am upgrading from a pair of audio-technica ad700s, which I love, but it's time for an upgrade. I owned a pair of Denon D2Ks and I didn't really like them compared to the ad700s, everything sounded a bit muffled and recessed. 

I'm not really a bass head, prefer mid range quality, detailling and soundstage etc. 

I have read a lot of threads comparing the HD650 and the HE-400 and am still undecided,. 

I enjoy all types of music, (classical, jazz etc) but mainly listen to pop/electronic music. 

At the moment they would be running out of my laptop, but I plan to purchase an amp/dac (<£200) after they have arrived.

Anybody have any thoughts?

Oct 23, 2012 at 12:13 PM Post #3 of 12
Quote:
You preferred music genres incline more toward HE400s. If someone else were to say they listen mostly to rock/vocal/acoustic music then HD650s would be better.

What? I thought it would be the opposite?
He didn't like D2K and isn't a bass head so isn't HD650 better for him?

Oct 23, 2012 at 12:18 PM Post #4 of 12
Quote:
What? I thought it would be the opposite?
He didn't like D2K and isn't a bass head so isn't HD650 better for him?

HE400s are NOT basshead cans, it has a very flat and well-extended bass that is ever-so-slightly above neutral, a far cry from how much bass D2000's have relative to the rest of the frequency response.

Both HE400s and HD650s have exceptional mids, just HE400s are better for OP's genres as it has great separation and openness, while HD650s are better for more rock/vocal oriented genres as it is smoother and a more forward mids response.

Another consideration that I did not mention in the first response is that OP is only willing to shell out for an entry-level amp/DAC setup at the moment, and because of that HE400s have a vast advantage as they are very forgiving with regards to driving source setups.

Oct 23, 2012 at 6:33 PM Post #5 of 12
The thing that concerns me is the HE400s are said to be quite distant, and veiled. The one thing I like about the ad700 is the involving mids. Although I don't think a grado-esque headphone would be for me. Thoughts?

Oct 23, 2012 at 6:36 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:
The thing that concerns me is the HE400s are said to be quite distant, and veiled. The one thing I like about the ad700 is the involving mids. Although I don't think a grado-esque headphone would be for me. Thoughts?

It's the opposite of "veiled", I don't know where you heard that from.

The mids are not distant, they are present but laid-back a bit (instead of front-row, it'll sound more like 2 or 3 rows back, not a whole room away). But if you ARE looking for ultra-involving / forward and aggressive signature then this is not at all what you're looking for.

Oct 23, 2012 at 7:06 PM Post #7 of 12
I would go with the HE-400 and get some HE-500 pads on them.  If that does not work save up for the HE-500 as I think it is definitely worth the wait and extra money.  I sold my HD-650 a long time ago and have not looked back since.  I know many other members here who have done the same thing or never listen to the HD-650 anymore.

Oct 23, 2012 at 7:08 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:
I would go with the HE-400 and get some HE-500 pads on them.  If that does not work save up for the HE-500 as I think it is definitely worth the wait and extra money.  I sold my HD-650 a long time ago and have not looked back since.  I know many other members here who have done the same thing or never listen to the HD-650 anymore.

Actually in HE400 threads everyone who buys HE400s have to also get velour pads by default, urged on by everyone else. So that is no issue.

Dec 10, 2012 at 3:49 PM Post #10 of 12
I much prefer the sound signature of the HD650s when you consider comfort as playing a big factor in forgetting about the headphones and just being a part of the music. It's more present and immediately pleasing. I feel like I'm just swimming in the sound. With the HE400s it was more like I could pick and choose a part to pay attention to, which was cool due to their great separation, but it just wasn't fun for me. The bass was very extended, but the highs were a bit hot for me and the sound just wasn't... fun! A lot of people seem to disagree with me but the subpar comfort + tizzy treble + less engaging sound is what made me get rid of them. I love my HD650s. Even for electronic music, which I listen to the most, the bass is nice and punchy, vocals are just incredible and the treble is never offensive or fatiguing. I really love female vocals with trance and dance music, stuff like Armin van Buuren and Morgan Page... so the HD650s are a clear winner for me.

They are just SO much more comfortable. Seriously.

Dec 10, 2012 at 3:54 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:
I bought the HE400 about a month ago (they're mindblowing) Lyr and Bifrost are in the post. 

Just pulled the trigger on a pair of HD650s as well.

*sigh*

Problem solved head-fi style!  Sorry for our wallets. 
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back