Please help me choose a headphone, last time i failed miserably.
Jan 27, 2013 at 9:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

jgleadle

New Head-Fier
I got into headphones about a month ago, i spend long hours studying in collage and enjoy listening to music. my audio background is a mid-fi home system, twin amped PSB Stratus speakers and Velodyne SPL sub connected to mid level separates and music hall turntable. I expected that headphones could match home stereos, i now know that was naive.

I have just been offered a 4 month work term away from home and will be spending most off time relaxing and listening to music in the hotel. I need something that i enjoy. So I bought the Grado sr325is thinking i would be happy, it was not the case. I am listening to them right now and it seems like their is a giant hole in the mid bands and its just not crisp. I have ordered the HIFI-M8 so i can pretty much power anything, what should i be looking at? whats the best way to go, i cant afford STAX electrostats but i can swing what is reasonably necessary to enjoy the sound.

Any Opinions?

thanks in advance

Jonathan Gleadle
Calgary, AB.

Jan 27, 2013 at 9:45 PM Post #2 of 3
A couple things people will want to know.

Whats your total budget?

What is your source: MP3, FLAC, CD's, SACD's........

How do you want to feed them: Off of a PC, from an Ipod, CD player.......

What types of music do you listen to.

Jan 27, 2013 at 9:46 PM Post #3 of 3
The SR 325's frequency response: 

But I suppose you could be perceiving weak mids. Unless you really want all of it's features, the HIFI-M8 is kinda overkill... but it looks so awesome, I'm sure you'll love it :) I'm a huge fan of the grado sound, I hope your issue gets resolved!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back