PLEASE HELP!!! Looking for a desktop DAC/AMP or standalone AMP around or below $100
Jul 27, 2016 at 1:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

NKurszewski

New Head-Fier
First off, I am quite new to audio, so please do pardon anything I say that may make me sound like and audio noob.

Ok, so I've been searching around for a good desktop DAC/AMP to drive my Beyerdynamic DT 990 250 ohm headphones ever since I got them a few days ago. I just haven't bought an amp yet because I didn't know what to get. I'm really looking for a neutral amp that won't color my sound at all, that also has an output impedance of <1 ohm. I particularly care about the low output impedance because I plan to get some low impedance IEMs for studio monitoring (I record saxophone covers as an amateur). I also would like the amp to keep a very wide and open soundstage to go with my open DT 990s, or not have the soundstage messed with at .

To recap, I would love if anyone had recommendations for a desktop amp or dac/amp that is around or below $100 with the following requests from me:

A capability to drive my 250 ohm headphones

An output impedance below 1 ohm so I will also be able to use low impedance IEMs with this amp

A clean, neutral sound with no coloration, and preferably little to no hissing or EMI

An unaltered or open and wide soundstage to accompany my open back headphones

And of course, price around or below $100.

Thank you for any suggestions you may provide, and I would be open to suggestions outside of my criteria if you describe to me their features, as well as tell me why I shoul buy them. One final thing, if you recommend a standalone amp with no included DAC, would you please recommend an inexpensive DAC that would fit my needs and pair well with the amp you recommended. Thanks a lot, and best wishes!

Jul 27, 2016 at 6:13 PM Post #4 of 23
Unless you like transportability of the O2 and how it can be battery powered, go with whichever is cheaper or which you like the looks of better. The Magni 2 does have a slight advantage at being able to drive more difficult to drive headphones (more difficult than your DT990). But otherwise--and I am a satisfied previous O2 owner and Schiit Asgard 2 and Schiit Modi owner telling you this--either will work well with your headphones. People will fight over which sounds better if you ask on the forum--a sure sign that neither sounds better. :)

Jul 27, 2016 at 9:54 PM Post #5 of 23
Thanks for the advice! I have one more quick question for you though, do you have a DAC recommendation for a DAC around $100, and something a bit cheaper, like $50 and under, or do you think I even need a DAC at the moment because my headphones aren't the hardest to drive? I'm just a bit short of cash at the moment, and I probably couldn't get something like the ODAC or Modii right away. Thanks again for the help!

Jul 27, 2016 at 10:34 PM Post #6 of 23
All the DAC does is convert digital to analog. So whether or not you would benefit from a DAC is unrelated to how difficult your headphones are to drive--that's the headphone amps job.

Here is a $50 DAC: http://hifimediy.com/DACs/ready-made-dacs/Sabre-9018-DAC. The Schiit Modi 2 is a $100 one.

Jul 28, 2016 at 12:41 AM Post #7 of 23
Jul 28, 2016 at 12:15 PM Post #8 of 23
I'd probably hold off on the $25 Fiio. I think many DACs built in new computers today can probably compete with it. Always possible it might eliminate some internal noise (computers are noisy EMI environments that can negatively affect sound production of internal sound cards).

What make/model computer do you have?

Jul 28, 2016 at 1:09 PM Post #11 of 23

What make/model computer do you have?

Custom built by me with an overclocked Core i5 6600k, overclocked GTX 1070, 16 GB of RAM, and 500 GB SSD. It's where I've put most of my money

*Sorry about the 2 posts. I'm still new to this forum thing and don't know what happened, nor how to delete one of them

Jul 28, 2016 at 1:38 PM Post #12 of 23
Might want to have a look at the Micca OriGen+ for a good DAC/Amp combo

Jul 28, 2016 at 2:04 PM Post #15 of 23
It's Asus's SupremeFX HD Audio they put on their ROG motherboards, which is what I have. Very similar to their Crystal Sound 3 audio they put on their signature boards.

I wouldn't count on the Fiio DAC being better. I think I'd try the O2 with it first and see what you think. If you are getting audible EMI, then that's different. Going to an external DAC can definitely help with that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back