[Please Help Deciding] My First IEM's
Jan 30, 2009 at 1:55 AM Post #16 of 28
If you chopped your limit down to $100 everyone would say NE-7M since it has iphone compatibility and is a good "all-rounder" - but since you say $130, might wanna rethink before people make you push a little more for the PFE and such (still worth the money, just dont get carried away)

Jan 30, 2009 at 7:37 AM Post #18 of 28
I have no personal experience nor am i an audiophile but after reading several reviews i think apple iem's are good all round (though not the best or even great at anything).

As you have a iphone, i think you should go for them as they look good and are comfortable. I would have recommended the $80 shures but they lack bass which is said to be pretty good in the apple iem's.

Jan 30, 2009 at 9:00 AM Post #19 of 28
I actually have the apple iems, and I can say I've never regretted the purchase myself.

80$, easy availability, iPhone functionality. Nice sound, especially if you like forward mids, but clear separation nonetheless between instruments.

C'mon, dual driver 80$ phones? May not match the best dual drivers, but at half the price of those, absolutely worth it.

Jan 30, 2009 at 2:40 PM Post #21 of 28
Well how does the NuForce Ne7 compare to the phonak audeo.

Im very interested in both but I have to save up money to buy earphones so thats why I would prefer to buy the lower cost earphones. Is it worth the upgrade to phonak audeos?

I saw here a couple of real fanboys of the phonaks
biggrin.gif
I would like to here from them a bit hehe

thanks to all!

Jan 31, 2009 at 2:27 AM Post #22 of 28
Given your budget constraints (and the nature of the economy), I would urge you to go with the 7m's. They are truly excellent buds in light of the $50 price tag - warm with ample detail, and great low end extension, and they mature as they burn in. Also, they mate well with the iphone, and the pause/skip/answer button works without a hitch.

I haven't heard the phonaks (although I would like to), and I don't doubt the posters here who indicate they are a clear upgrade from the 7m's. (Although opinions certainly vary on how much of an upgrade.) Nonetheless, the phonaks with the mic are more than 3x the cost of the 7m's...

I think the subjective question of whether an audio upgrade is "worth the money" ultimately boils down to the extent of your disposable income in the vast majority of situations in life.

I'm sure you will find a lot of joy in whatever you end up selecting (both of these models are best in class contenders in their respective price ranges), but if you're really having to save for them, I'd go with the more frugal option.

Jan 31, 2009 at 3:56 AM Post #23 of 28
I too vote for the phonaks, although I haven't heard them yet. Judging from various impressions and reviews, they pretty much are all rounders.
I'm getting a pair next week for myself.
Just look around, there is a lot said about them that explains them pretty well.
In short, people compare them to higher end 'phones such as the W3, IE8 etc, so they are definately bang for the buck.

Feb 1, 2009 at 1:35 AM Post #24 of 28
I vote for the Phonaks also. Great IEM with a price you can pay.

Feb 19, 2009 at 8:49 PM Post #26 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ballz2TheWallz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No one is going to recommend NE-7M's if you say your budget is up to $130
tongue.gif

Yes, I will! For $50, the NE-7M has very great sound, has a phone mic built in, is very low profile and offers about 80% isolation, and seems pretty durable.

If you are hard on them (like alot of students are!) and tear them up in 6 months, buy another pair!

Feb 19, 2009 at 10:19 PM Post #27 of 28
If you've never heard better, you'll think the NE-7M is the best thing since sliced bread. The Phonaks are significantly better but if you're looking to save cash, go for the 7's.

Feb 19, 2009 at 10:57 PM Post #28 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zalithian /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you've never heard better, you'll think the NE-7M is the best thing since sliced bread. The Phonaks are significantly better but if you're looking to save cash, go for the 7's.

Yep!

My first "quality" IEM was the NE-7 and I thought it sounded awesome. Then I got the PFE, and the NE-7 couldn't hold a candle to it. Then I got and burned in my IE8, and bye bye PFE.

I just recently got Yuin PK3 earbuds (head-direct.com for $40), and they are very good for the price. They have a different presentation than the NE-7. There is a thread comparing the 2.

The only negative for the PFE IMO is the increased volume requirements on a DAP (or iPhone), which will shorten the battery life. If you do get the PFE, you may want to also get the Fiio E5 (Head-direct.com for $24 shipped) to conserve battery power. I use my E5 with my PK3s from my Fuze, and the battery life has quadrupled!

My problem was I kept reading threads here, wondering how the more expensive IEM would sound. If you can get one of the quality recommendations in this thread and not wonder, it will meet your requirements!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back