Please help! Bottlehead Crack w/ Speedball background noise
Jun 4, 2013 at 8:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

digicosmos

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all!

I have recently got a fully assembled Bottlehead Crack w/ Speedball upgrade for my HD600s.  I am quite happy with the sound it delivers but there is very distracting background noise in the right channel.  It doesn't go away even if I unplug my interconnects.  It gets louder when I turn up the volume, but goes away when the volume is approaching maximum.  Will really appreciate if someone can tell me what the problem is and how I can solve this issue.  I am new to DIY but will try since lots of people say it's a lot of fun :)

Thank you!
Paul

Jun 4, 2013 at 6:52 PM Post #2 of 3
The power tube family that the Crack uses is known to be very noisy.  Try a different tube and see if that solves the problem.

Aug 11, 2013 at 6:25 PM Post #3 of 3
Yep. If anyone else has this issue with their build out there, I tried another 6080 tube with my stock dead silent Crack and all of a sudden there was a noticeable hiss when no audio was playing that was never there with the stock tube no matter how high the volume was turned up. If you are experiencing noise and its in both channels, try another 6080 tube. Its good to keep spares anyway :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back