Please help a t00b-n00b - or, tube amp Dos and Don'ts
Dec 6, 2003 at 5:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

dMoog

New Head-Fier
A couple of days ago I received my first tube amp, an Earmax Pro, bought from Adamzuf. He told me that I could have the amp turned on all the time, but I can't help but wonder if the tubes become damaged or "used up" in some way when the amp just sits there without a load to drive.

So please, tell me if my line of reasoning is correct or not. Also, please add some Dos and Don'ts about tube amps in general (for example if one should leave the amp on at all times or not). I've searched but I haven't found any good topics on the subject, and I feel I'm not the only one who would like to read up on some general info on tube amps.

Come on guys, let the info out in the open!
biggrin.gif

Dec 6, 2003 at 11:22 PM Post #2 of 10
I just got one too. Maybe you should turn it on in the morning and off in the evening to save your tubes a little... The longer they stay on the more heat damage is done (am I right?)...

that sounds good enough to me

Dec 6, 2003 at 11:32 PM Post #3 of 10
You can leave the amp on all the time if thats what you want to do. It will add up hours on your tubes though. As long as you have your headphones plugged in it represents a load for the amp. You don't have to have the source playing.

Dec 6, 2003 at 11:42 PM Post #4 of 10
The biggest source of damage to tubes is turn/on turn/off transcients. Repeated power cycles are going to do more damage than leaving the amp on, up to a point. You're going to need to find a trade/off point. If the amp is on a lot when you're not using it, then it's just wasted tube life. If you're turning a tube amp on and off several times a day, you're stressing the tubes more than simply leaving the amp on. My own solution, which is not the only one possible, is to turn a tube amp on when I plan to be using it, and leave it on that day. I turn them off at night, or when I'm done using the amp for the day. It may not be the best way, but it works for me.

Heat is not a big source of damage, as long as it's within the parameters of the tube. Overheating could be a problem if the tube is running outside of its rated parameters or if the amp isn't ventillated well.

Dec 6, 2003 at 11:59 PM Post #5 of 10
A couple of other things

Some amps will not tolerate having the headphones unplugged with the power on, others it does not matter, depends on the design. I do not know about yours.

Be careful if you ever take it apart as the capacitors retain a charge and the high voltages can be dangerous.

If you are going to take it anywhere it is safer to unplug the tubes so that you do not bump them and cause damage.

Dec 7, 2003 at 3:38 AM Post #6 of 10
Also, don't freak out if you eventually turn on your amp one day and hear an incredibly frightening ear piercing screech. The next time you turn it on, it might be fine. This is just the sign of a bad tube. The best thing to do is buy a spare set of tubes for your amp, and if you ever hear any odd noises, then you can switch out tubes one at a time to figure out which one busted. Also, make sure you figure out whether or not your amp needs a load...check your manual. If it needs a load and your amp does not have one, your tubes will just burn out.

Dec 7, 2003 at 6:08 AM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by stuartr
Also, don't freak out if you eventually turn on your amp one day and hear an incredibly frightening ear piercing screech.

I reserve the right to freak out if I turn on an amp and hear a frightening ear piercing screech.
eek.gif

If you hear such a thing, turn the amp off FAST.

Dec 7, 2003 at 6:19 AM Post #8 of 10
yeah, turn it off first, but don't necessarily get your britches all ruffled. When one of the EL34's went out on my cj CAV-50, it made an awful racket. I turned it off immediately. I hesitantly tried it later, and it was fine. Two or three times after that, it was back. It just turned out to be a weak driver tube. Not even the local tube tester was sensitive enough to pick it out, but it certainly scared the crap out of me when I first heard it. I put in a new tube, and it was fine.

Dec 7, 2003 at 10:55 AM Post #9 of 10
Thanks for all the answers!

I just remembered another thing; should I turn the amp off when changing ICs? Should I turn it off when plugging headphones in and out?

Dec 7, 2003 at 11:58 AM Post #10 of 10
Yes it should be OFF when changing IC's. As far as the headphones go, check your manuel. I'm not sure about the design of your amp. I would turn it off to change them until I found out if I where you. Or by an adapter where you can have a pr. plugged in at all times when changing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back